Quantcast

I bought a toaster

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Three weeks ago the furthest thing from my mind was shopping for a new car. After all, I had been lusting after a Banshee Spitfire, a new fork and wheels. And who would want to put practical needs above new bike goodness. My 1997 Pontiac Gran Prix was quite capable of getting me where I needed to go.

A semi changed my mind on that priority order. On my way to the studio a tractor trailer had stopped on a busy road in front of me. It backed into me and pushed me backwards down the road with me standing on the brakes and blowing the horn. Well seeing as the first hit wasn't good enough, he backed into me a second time, then drove off. Needless to say I was a bit freaked out and chased the trucker down, called the cops, and confronted him.

His reaction, " I can't see you !" Good thinking there chief, just back up on a major road cause you missed your turn and have no idea what's behind you. Waited 45 min. for the cop to show up. The front end of my car got munched pretty good and did who knows what kind of damage to the brakes and steering.

The trucking company settled with me, but didn't offer squat as far as enough to buy a descent vehicle. So with accepting the idea that no matter what car I got I was going to have a car payment, damn it, I decided to start looking for a used Honda Element. The trucking company provided me with a rental car to drive so I was under the gun to buy a car by last friday.

Most of the Elements in my price range either drove well and looked like sh1t or looked good and had major issues. One was so musty that it gave me a headache. Another one shook violently when making sharp turns. One Element had some retarded mods done to it, such as blue flame pedals that light up, ooooh.

Then I wandered onto the lot of the local Honda dealership and saw two Elements, both with low milage an new tires, sweet.

The blue one was an 04 stick shift with 54K miles while the Orange being an 08 automatic with 40k miles. Both drove quite well. The blue one had that weird two tone blue interior that looked kind of dated. Went home and thought about it.

Decided on the orange one which is Honda certified, and have been driving it for a week now. Fvcking love it !

The car is in pristine condition, like as in no dirt-bag biker has ever been in it.

Plenty of room to haul stuff.

So now I have an awesome new ride and car payments for the next 60 years.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Well done! And that's not a toaster. This is a toaster:

At least girls won't laugh at your car when you roll up in that sexy little beast.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
your old car didnt have reverse?
It does, but it happened so fast that I couldn't get into reverse to get away from him. Plus there might have been someone behind me. A guy saw the whole thing happen but the dick just drove around.

Having a semi push you backwards down the road is freakin scary.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Sweet. Always dug the Element. Too bad Honda never put any investment in updating it. Discontinued after this year. Of course the worlds largest automotive market can't support small pickup trucks either so Ford will no longer sell the Ranger in the US.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Sweet. Always dug the Element. Too bad Honda never put any investment in updating it. Discontinued after this year. Of course the worlds largest automotive market can't support small pickup trucks either so Ford will no longer sell the Ranger in the US.
America supports small pickups just fine. Just not American small pickups.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

I actually just heard a similar story on the radio. Guy missed his turn, jammed on the brakes and threw it in reverse, made the turn, noticed there was a little old lady on the side of the road white as a ghost and freaked the F out. Sorry that happened to you, that's crazy!

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Congrats on the new car, and for stimulating the (Japanese) economy. :D

Actually, it's built in Ohio, I know, I know.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
no, they are actually fun (see scary) to drive.
Center of gravity is actually above the roof and the accelerator is a volume control. I was going to take mine to school with me, but it couldn't make it over the grapevine.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
and chances are....you were to close for the semi to see you.