Quantcast

I bought some Crossmax XL's...(but I dont fully understand UST)

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
BeerDemon said:
Irritates me when I take my bike to the shop and the shop goons remove the tape (and I notice out on the trail) :mumble:
Uhh oops. I have been removing all the tape I find on them. It didn't occur to us (my boss either) why we have been finding the mavic valves taped. Good to know I am a "shop goon" though :think:

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
jdcamb said:
Uhh oops. I have been removing all the tape I find on them. It didn't occur to us (my boss either) why we have been finding the mavic valves taped. Good to know I am a "shop goon" though :think:
That's just in reference to me being on the trail without the ability to pump my tires up. In general, you guys are OK. I worked all through high school and college in shops, so I'm a goon too.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
jdcamb said:
These work well though

SOMA steel core tire levers....

Wow, I can't believe someone hasn't thought of that before. I'll have to get some of those.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
So what's the difference between UST and regular tubeless?

My understanding is that w/ UST you don't need to run a sealant, and the rim doesn't have exposed nips at all so you don't need a strip. Is that correct?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Have you guys ever had troubles when mounting UST tires to Crossmax SLs? I mounted a pair of Ignitors on some SLs with a bit of slime in the tire and it went amazingly well...I was shocked. Quicker than a tube. I want SLs now.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I have been running Mavic X3.1 for about 2 years, dry weather with Kenda Karma and wet weather with Vertical pros. I seat them with a hand pump and use no tools to mount or dismount. I've never used soapy water either... I do use 2 caps of Stans. So far I have never had a flat and the sealant has never been dry when I have removed the tire. I like UST. :thumb:

My tip... not sure if this works or not, comes from road bike race tire that have super thin beads. Inflate the tire until the bead pops - reduce the pressure to about 10 PSI and work the tire by "massaging" it into the rim grooves. Re-inflate to normal pressure.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Serial Midget said:
My tip... not sure if this works or not, comes from road bike race tire that have super thin beads. Inflate the tire until the bead pops - reduce the pressure to about 10 PSI and work the tire by "massaging" it into the rim grooves. Re-inflate to normal pressure.
It works well, but I tend to massage pre- and post-pop, that way the tire will be mainly seated, so it won't blow off the rim. The massage also helps get the tire on if it's a hard one. So basically you get 1 side on, get most of the second, then massage the tire that's on to get it to seat all the way.