Quantcast

I broke a lurker

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
A guy I work with (who lurks here), came up to whistler yesterday. He's just recently moved here (from Montreal coincidnetally). He's been to whistler once, but in more of an XC capacity. So he came up yesterday to try some on the more DH-y runs. So first run yesterday on lower A-line...(now what used to be the first part of Hornet), he goes arse over tea-kettle....and breaks his collar bone.

This was right after I told him..."It's not bad...you'll be fine".

No...I don't feel guilty in the least.

LOS

Chimp
Jun 7, 2004
Wherever the money is.
What a crappy way to enter this forum! The only beef I have is that it was on the very first ride of the day. Serves me right for listening to MMike! I'll post the x-rays tomorrow.

RideND

Monkey
Nov 1, 2003
Mandan, ND
Sorry to LOS. About this time last year was when I broke my collarbone on my very first trip to a real MTB mecca. We were on the way back to the vehicle and were almost done when it happened. It won't be to long before you are back at it and I hope Mike takes you up to Whistler and then you can show him up this time.

oxygen_77

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Kent, WA
Hey man, sorry to hear about the collar-bone break... the rain these past couple of days has been making my broken and healed collarbone hurt. If this is your first collar bone break, make sure to keep some motion in your shoulder so it doesn't stiffen up (you should be able to move your arm out to the side of your body to about 45 degrees from vertical). I made the mistake of keeping my upperarm in one place for the first month so when I tried to move it away for showering and putting on deodorant it was really tough. It took a couple of painful days to get it moving again and then I made the second mistake of thinking it was healed and just hurting when it still hadn't even fused yet. Having never broken a bone before I didn't know how much it was supposed to hurt after it fused... the answer is, it isn't supposed to hurt after it's fused.... well, now I know for next time...

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
i dunno if youve broken a collar bone before, but if its in a sling, keep your elbow moving, i broke mine playing hockey (Isnt it an awfull sound that close to your ears? and that hot feeling.... egh) anyway, yeh, keep that elbow moving a few times a day, atrophy was 10 times more painfull than the break..... like pulling a muscle (badly) every time you move

oxygen_77

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Kent, WA
MMike said:
Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a decent scan of the "good part" of the xray. You can sorta get an idea. But sufficed to say, it's in three pieces instead of one!
Next time ask the doctor to give you a copy of the X-Ray on CD. That way you won't have to scan it. Hope you heal soon!

LOS

Chimp
Jun 7, 2004
Wherever the money is.
SebringMGB said:
i dunno if youve broken a collar bone before, but if its in a sling, keep your elbow moving, i broke mine playing hockey (Isnt it an awfull sound that close to your ears? and that hot feeling.... egh) anyway, yeh, keep that elbow moving a few times a day, atrophy was 10 times more painfull than the break..... like pulling a muscle (badly) every time you move
Actually I didn't here a whole lot since I busted my head off the rock at the same time... I broke the helmet! There was a lot of ringing in the ear as you could imagine. I tried fiddling with th pic Mike scanned for me to highlight the 3 chunks of bone. It looks gnarlier than it feels. I still have a lot of mobility and the bruising was pretty minimal. I'm going in for more xrays and an updated prognostic on Monday. Anyone ever need surgery for this type of thing?

Attachments

oxygen_77

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Kent, WA
LOS said:
Anyone ever need surgery for this type of thing?
My doctor didn't recommend surgery, but I kinda' wish I had some metal put in to hold the two pieces in place. Then I wouldn't have this large bump in my collarbone now and my shoulder wouldn't be shorter than the other one...

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
oxygen_77 said:
my shoulder wouldn't be shorter than the other one...
Don't you hate that!:mumble: Now everytime I wear form-fitting shirts they don't fit right on the right side! :mumble:

After three brakes on the same side I need to go in for surgery for a torn rotater cuff :mumble: :mumble:

oxygen_77

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Kent, WA
LOS said:
Snacks said:
After three brakes on the same side I need to go in for surgery for a torn QUOTE]

Holly Crap, dude! Let me know where you're riding so I can stay clear!
Snacks is a Dudette, not a dude... personally I think it's those clipless pedals that are breaking your collarbone Snacks... I can still picture you falling over into the ditch on the way up Green Mt. hehehe :)

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
LOS said:
Snacks said:
After three brakes on the same side I need to go in for surgery for a torn QUOTE]

Holly Crap, dude! Let me know where you're riding so I can stay clear!
Hahah...only one break was on a bike, the others were from snowboarding :p

Oxy, thanks for fishin' me out of the ditch! :o: How frikkin funny was that!?!?! :monkey: