Quantcast

I broke my neck.

UnusualBread

Chimp
Nov 2, 2020
Damn dude, here's to a boring ass/uneventful recovery.

Juggs looks sick, will have to check it out one of these days.

Is this kind of injury one that a neck brace would theoretically prevent?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Is this kind of injury one that a neck brace would theoretically prevent?
Maybe. My understanding is that the neck braces work with a full face helmet to prevent the spine from flexing past a point. The break from flexing creates a sheering force that results in the spinal cord being pinched. The way this vertebrae is broken (and the fact there’s no cord damage) seems more like there was a compression force than a sheering force. A brace would help with that but could redistribute the impact to the collarbones and cause breakage there instead.

I’m no expert but those are my ignorant Internet thoughts.

Edit - for reference, my vertebrae were unbroken in my crash but they came apart under the sheering force and pinched my spinal cord.

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Did you make your own hardware? Seriously though, glad you're going to have a full recovery.....

And.......... how's the bike?
I asked if I could get a discount if I provided hardware lol. Bikes good, I’m actually going to sell it and my DH bike for now. I won’t be able to ride for a while if I do again and don’t need it just sitting.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
You also ran a half shell helmet, or? So no neck brace would have done anything.
I have seen some kids that ran neck braces + piss pots. :rofl:
Yea I had a half shell. But I meant a FF with brace I don’t think would have mattered much.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I broke my Neck. I advise you to hold off on having Sex until the DOCs give you the all clear. Join a Gym with a Pool. Pool rehab worked great for me.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Don’t forget the part about having a dead guy’s bone in you.
I didn't know you guys were seeing each other. That's cool. ;)

Seriously though, how does that work? Does it have to be the same bone? Same blood type? Is there just a fridge in the back of the hospital with a rack of bones hanging out? Is there a freshness guarantee?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210

Seriously though, how does that work? Does it have to be the same bone? Same blood type? Is there just a fridge in the back of the hospital with a rack of bones hanging out? Is there a freshness guarantee?
They took a chunk of my hip, and I was nowhere near conscious when the choice was made for me.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I asked if I could get a discount if I provided hardware lol. Bikes good, I’m actually going to sell it and my DH bike for now. I won’t be able to ride for a while if I do again and don’t need it just sitting.
What you selling?

That's not good to hear, but understandable after this type of thing.

Whats the doc say? You can ride again right?

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
What you selling?

That's not good to hear, but understandable after this type of thing.

Whats the doc say? You can ride again right?
I’ve got a L Yeti SB5.5, Dvo fork and push shock. Also my Banshee Legend MK2 DH bike. Not saying I’m not going to ride again, but I don’t think it will be soon enough to justify having bikes just sit there for at least a year. Probably more. If I do it again, I’ll buy something new.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I’ve got a L Yeti SB5.5, Dvo fork and push shock. Also my Banshee Legend MK2 DH bike. Not saying I’m not going to ride again, but I don’t think it will be soon enough to justify having bikes just sit there for at least a year. Probably more. If I do it again, I’ll buy something new.
After I busted myself as many times as I have, I struggled to and have since decided to not get another DH bike again. Honestly, at 40 with a fuck ton of injuries, a good trail bike is more than sufficient. I'd be hesitant to sell the Yeti, given its an easy bike to just get back onto and ride again. If you find you're "not riding hard enough to justify it", a swap to an air suspension setup and more all-mtn build can make that a good long-term bike.
No point selling your bike, so that when you decide to ride again you have to buy one, only to maybe find out you're spooked about riding hard again.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
After I busted myself as many times as I have, I struggled to and have since decided to not get another DH bike again. Honestly, at 40 with a fuck ton of injuries, a good trail bike is more than sufficient. I'd be hesitant to sell the Yeti, given its an easy bike to just get back onto and ride again. If you find you're "not riding hard enough to justify it", a swap to an air suspension setup and more all-mtn build can make that a good long-term bike.
No point selling your bike, so that when you decide to ride again you have to buy one, only to maybe find out you're spooked about riding hard again.
I need time off. If I ride at all I definitely won’t need the Yeti. I’d rather get what I can out of it. I have the Evil DJ my wife got me for Xmas to still build up. That will be perfect for some rehabs and putting with the kids.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I've come to understand that long recovery times are for breaking down bikes and selling the parts to build up new bikes. It gives me something to do while recovering and something to get excited about.

Might I suggest parting out your DH bike and turning it into a sicky gravel bike. SOMA Wolverine frames are radical.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Aspirated bone marrow.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
After this thread I feel so fortunate to have just cracked my helmet in half and walked away with a concussion when I got pitched headfirst into a rock
I'm in the same boat for sure. I got endoed into a tree, head first, at speed, during a DH race run. Wrapped around the tree backwards and almost kicked myself in the back of the head. Everything just slowed down and I could hear a lot of popping and cracking which I thought was my vertebrae. Somehow only ended up with a fractured clavicle, concussion, and pulled chest muscles. So lucky it wasn't way worse. That crash really made me reconsider the whole DH racing thing.

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I have walked away only bruised from high speed crashes that I thought during the moment would end up in hospital. Either field goaled myself between obstacles or simply blown off momentum, or the worst one, wrapped myself back first around a tree, luckily the really big one, not the little one next to it that probably would have broken me.

On the other hand I have compressed vertebrae and ended up with permanent nerve damage from a low speed front wheel washout.

This bike injury thing is a bit weird.

Normally, i would say, keep the trailbike, but in this current climate, I would agree, selling when the market is nuts would probably be better, but only if you think you would not be back in the market until after this covid cray cray endz.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I have walked away only bruised from high speed crashes that I thought during the moment would end up in hospital. Either field goaled myself between obstacles or simply blown off momentum, or the worst one, wrapped myself back first around a tree, luckily the really big one, not the little one next to it that probably would have broken me.

On the other hand I have compressed vertebrae and ended up with permanent nerve damage from a low speed front wheel washout.

This bike injury thing is a bit weird.

Normally, i would say, keep the trailbike, but in this current climate, I would agree, selling when the market is nuts would probably be better, but only if you think you would not be back in the market until after this covid cray cray endz.
That’s exactly my thinking. Getting while the getting is good. I don’t think I’ll be in the market until all this is over.