Quantcast

I can figure the brake out...

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
So...a customer just called about a bmx bike in for repair. We put tires on it, but it is still lacking the brake repair. I told her we hadn't gotten to the brake. She told me she can figure the brake out. I'm thinking..."let me get this straight...you don't know how to change tires, but the brakes (which are missing the lever and housing) won't be any trouble to figure out".

I feel like maybe I exist in some weird parallel where I'm the only one with normal thought patterns. :think:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Loco - let her do as she will, but I'd not the repair ticket to show that she took the bike without fixing the brake.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I bet you can sell her some pegs so Skippy can ride his little sister down to the park after school. But only she will slip off and get mangled by a drunk on a riding lawn mower and you'll get sued for being an irresponsible dumb-ass. Just cut to the chase and hit the customer in the face with the flat side of a pedal wrench then thank her for her patronage.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
You know something. Compared to all the other ss****tty jobs I have had, working on bikes was the best. I miss all the trials and tribulations of working in a shop. Try being a Mason. Slinging Rocks and Mortar sucks no matter what spin you put on it....

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
I doubt this is the case, but I HATE changing tires. If I wasn't a broke college student I would pay a shop fix all my flats.. But other than tires and the occasional drivetrain frustrations I love working on my bikes and would rather do the rest myself.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I had one shop hold my bike for 3 weeks, till finally I went by to get it and take it somewhere else. The guy goes "We don't let bikes out of the shop until the work is completed." I gave him a long look and a small smile and he said "I'll get it for you."

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I had one shop hold my bike for 3 weeks, till finally I went by to get it and take it somewhere else. The guy goes "We don't let bikes out of the shop until the work is completed." I gave him a long look and a small smile and he said "I'll get it for you."
:rofl: We had only had it two days, and the guy who changed the tires isn't much for brakes. :think:

Ultimately...I blame Wumpus for being sick twice last week.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
:rofl: We had only had it two days, and the guy who changed the tires isn't much for brakes. :think:

Ultimately...I blame Wumpus for being sick twice last week.
:rolleyes:

A person should not be allowed to work at a bike shop as a mechanic if he can't do EVERYTHING on a bike (except for maybe wheelbuilding).

They're bicycles, not spaceships.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
On the flip side, my shop promised a Headshok rebuild from a 90's bike to be completed in a week.

I wouldn't have made any promises, but the tech was out this whole time, so when ran a week a late (with phone updates this entire time), the guy came in mad that we didn't finish the work on time.

Now maybe one of you geniuses can rebuild a 15 year old Headshok, but I can't. The tech at my shop could though.

After, I did prank call every Cannondale dealer in the area to warn them this guy was coming, by saying that I was the owner of this bike and I demanded a free warranty repair.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
:rolleyes:

A person should not be allowed to work at a bike shop as a mechanic if he can't do EVERYTHING on a bike (except for maybe wheelbuilding).

They're bicycles, not spaceships.
Cantilever brakes. This might be the one exception, because that is an art form.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Just tell her to jam her foot in the fork between the wheel and the fork. Problem solved.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
On the flip side, my shop promised a Headshok rebuild from a 90's bike to be completed in a week.

I wouldn't have made any promises, but the tech was out this whole time, so when ran a week a late (with phone updates this entire time), the guy came in mad that we didn't finish the work on time.

Now maybe one of you geniuses can rebuild a 15 year old Headshok, but I can't. The tech at my shop could though.

After, I did prank call every Cannondale dealer in the area to warn them this guy was coming, by saying that I was the owner of this bike and I demanded a free warranty repair.
I got pretty good at Headshoks, Leftys on the other hand always kick my ass.... I can service any manufacturers forks and some shocks. Those effin Leftys would always eff me up. I just serviced an I-Drive eccentric thingy what a bitch....

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Bicycle mechanic rule #1, You are the first rung on the ladder, get used to it.... Take advantage of every oppurtunity to use your employee discount. #2 Make as much money selling as much weed to your stoner coworkers as you possibly can, use it as a tool to get free bike parts. #3 Never under any circumstances should you ever give anything away. #4 If you fix someones bike on the trail. Make sure they know how much you are hooking them up by wiping the grease from your hands on their grips during the test ride. Hand them the bike back in such a way as they have to take it by the grips.....

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
They are the devil's brake. I can make them stop, like a mofo indeed, but quietly? Psft... that's damn near impossible. Even when I was working at the tri shop, One of the other wrenches always had to do the CX canti's. I did all the fork rebuilds and such, but Cant's...

*First mtb was 1989 Schwinn Impact 18sp with friction shifters and canti's.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
They are the devil's brake. I can make them stop, like a mofo indeed, but quietly? Psft... that's damn near impossible. Even when I was working at the tri shop, One of the other wrenches always had to do the CX canti's. I did all the fork rebuilds and such, but Cant's...

*First mtb was 1989 Schwinn Impact 18sp with friction shifters and canti's.
I worked at a shop that sold a ton of cross bikes for quite a while. Got good at them pretty quickly, but granted I was getting a lot more practice than most people.

If there's any repair I'm embarassingly bad at, it's putting stems on straight. I'm probably cross eyed, or maybe just a fvcking moron, but I swear gremlins come and move them on me when I'm not looking.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I got pretty good at Headshoks, Leftys on the other hand always kick my ass.... I can service any manufacturers forks and some shocks. Those effin Leftys would always eff me up. I just serviced an I-Drive eccentric thingy what a bitch....
My Lefty went exactly like the instructions. But the old HS's are part dependent, and that's hard to source after 15 years.