Quantcast

I can't get my Windows XP to shut down

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
...And it would do simple things like shutdown when you asked it to.
Our 6 year old G4 boots and shutdown faster than my < 1 year old work PC.

Brian HCM #1...if you manually shutdown the machine (hold power button down) the next time you start the computer does windoze want to scan the drive on re-boot?

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Just yank the cord out of the wall...

I've had this happen once or twice, usually it goes away after a forced reboot. Are you concerned about leaving your computer on all the time or does it just bug you that there's something not working right? There are lots of people who claim it's better to just leave your computer on all the time, their justification is that every time you turn the computer off it cools down and when you turn it back on, the hot/cold cycle supposedly causes wear. I've always turned my computers off at night but they stay on almost all day.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Just yank the cord out of the wall...

I've had this happen once or twice, usually it goes away after a forced reboot. Are you concerned about leaving your computer on all the time or does it just bug you that there's something not working right? There are lots of people who claim it's better to just leave your computer on all the time, their justification is that every time you turn the computer off it cools down and when you turn it back on, the hot/cold cycle supposedly causes wear. I've always turned my computers off at night but they stay on almost all day.
I've tried that too, no such luck.