Quantcast

I can't hold onto the bars anymore.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I'm having a hell of a time enjoying cycling lately. I can't hold onto the bars. It doesn't matter if it's trail, DH, BMX or road. I cannot find relief from intense pain shooting from my finger tips to my biceps. I've tried all sorts of pain killers and anti-inflammatory meds to get through a run or two; nothing helps.

I haven't had issues with arm pump in years and suddenly I can't even form a fist, hit the shift lever or reach the brake lever.
I did visit my doctor a while back about having an issue turning wrenches at work, but he kind of played it off.

I've got another appointment with a different doctor. But I'm curious if anyone else has had similar issues or suggestions.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I'm having a hell of a time enjoying cycling lately. I can't hold onto the bars. It doesn't matter if it's trail, DH, BMX or road. I cannot find relief from intense pain shooting from my finger tips to my biceps. I've tried all sorts of pain killers and anti-inflammatory meds to get through a run or two; nothing helps.

I haven't had issues with arm pump in years and suddenly I can't even form a fist, hit the shift lever or reach the brake lever.
I did visit my doctor a while back about having an issue turning wrenches at work, but he kind of played it off.

I've got another appointment with a different doctor. But I'm curious if anyone else has had similar issues or suggestions.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001469/

Sounds like carpal tunnel syndrome to me. Ask the new doc to evaluate you for it, and get treated.

It's a bitch, but it can be treated. Don't let it go - permanent nerve damage is possible.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Yep... as stated above.
It has flare ups and sometimes if you hold a fist in front of you and go side to side with the wrist not top/bottom it hurts like crazy.
I dropped a pan trying to pick it up, pain was fast and nasty....
The surgery is quick and easy they cut a nerve that causes the pain, doesn't take but a half hour or so...

Mine comes and goes sometimes its around for a week or more....

I need to get it done, maybe now that I have medical insurance for the first time since I was 12......:thumb:

Last edited:

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
yes
carpal tunnel syndrome
had the surgery on both hands.
now I can ride all day with no pain.
hope you heal soon man.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
The surgery is quick and easy they cut a nerve that causes the pain, doesn't take but a half hour or so...
Seriously? My brother had an op that the doctor botched so he has to have a second op, turned out the guy that did it was known for doing crap work.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I would add, just for the sake or accuracy, that the surgery involves severing the ligaments that hold the carpal tunnel closed on the palm side of your wrist. This opens up the tunnel and relieves the nerve compression which is causing your pain. Cutting nerves is not the objective, but rather a complication best avoided. I would take your complaint to an orthopedist (or two) and see what they say. While carpal tunnel sounds likely, there are other neuropathies that can occur with repetitive use trauma and/or vibration injury that should be ruled out. I think a good orthopod will serve you best. Hope you get back on the bike soon.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
If it's work related (turning wrenches) make sure to fill out the appropriate work related disability forms, too. That may lower or eliminate your deductible.

batts65

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Upstate NY
I am getting ready to schedule the surgery this winter. I have been doing injections on each wrist about every 8 months, for 3 years. My dr. does a nerve test to make sure there is no further damage and my tests are actually improving (rare, but it does happen). But, I have been delaying what is going to be needed. My last shots only lasted about 5 months, dr said that is the last time he would do them if it is under 6 months. I have been just trying to time it to not effect riding season since I have not been causing any further damage.
It is rare to hear of issues from the surgery, but it does happen.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Thinner grips and a better fork are bandaids that can help in the meantime. Virtually every grip out there is super thick nowadays, it's tough to find things that aren't hard plastic and 1/16" of ****ty rubber. Swapping my Boxxer for a Marzocchi increased small bump compliance by 50% or so, making it easier for me to ride longer. Swapping my old boxxer for a newer one helped even more.

It does sound like something you need a doctor for, but if he shrugs you off, something to try...

batts65

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Upstate NY
Thinner grips and a better fork are bandaids that can help in the meantime. Virtually every grip out there is super thick nowadays, it's tough to find things that aren't hard plastic and 1/16" of ****ty rubber. Swapping my Boxxer for a Marzocchi increased small bump compliance by 50% or so, making it easier for me to ride longer. Swapping my old boxxer for a newer one helped even more.

It does sound like something you need a doctor for, but if he shrugs you off, something to try...
CTS is hard to describe, has nothing to do with the equipement, bumps or terrain. Your hands just don't want to work. You find your self shaking your hands (medical term is Flick) and you think it works but there is not proof it does. Like he said, even on a road bike he has no grip. Nothing helps except getting the injections or surgery. The injections are only temporary. I am just trying to time the surgery to avoid missing any of the riding season.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Seriously? My brother had an op that the doctor botched so he has to have a second op, turned out the guy that did it was known for doing crap work.
My point is its not a major surgery its quick and usually easy per my wife's friend who does them at the hospital compared to the step down unit she worked at for major organ transplant at USC.

And yes any procedure can be goofed up, sorry to hear about your brothers incident...sounds like you should test his medical malpractice insurance out if he's known for goofing up and it was negligence.

htrdoug

Chimp
Nov 25, 2001
So.Indiana
Before you go to the extreme of surgery one thing to consider is your gloves,back in the mid 90's I raced alot of harescrambles and being a auto mechanic my hands never got a break all week,I had terrible trouble hanging onto the bars and at woods racer speeds it was quite disturbing to actually have one slide off the bars on some crazy downhill. Long story about how I came to try this but I switched to gloves that were way oversized (3XL)when tried on but don't cut off circulation when I ride. NO more trouble and now I'm a helluva lot older and still no hand problems and I've still been a mechanic all these years,just something to consider.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Musculoskeletal Disorders are real, and they have to be addressed. I started getting some numbness in my hands when I was "throwing beer" (delivering beer, very physical and fast paced, but a good source of summer money in College). You can't tell what kind of people or movements will absolutely "cause" it, there are just too many variables, but it is real and it has to be addressed. If you don't address an MSD early, it will wreak havoc on you in later life. You want to take this seriously. A large part of my Master's degree was centered around MSDs.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
Hmm, it sounds like my ignorance may be a real issue.
Doctors told me a few years back that it was a tendon issue, but not tendonitis. They gave me a wrist brace to wear when I started to feel a problem. back then the pain would come and go so I skipped the brace and just dealt with it.

Now I'm hardly able to make a fist. I start with a muscle spasm and then move to pain. I do do the shake/quick roll of the wrist and clap my hand shut to try to get rid of it. The pain shoots up to through my elbows and can sometimes force my arm to bend at the elbow with a spasm-like feeling.
It seems to be that most of the issue stems from making my wrists do motions they aren't supposed to(turn wrenches) for the last 11 years.
I'm thankful to hear that some of you have had similar issues and can continue to ride.