Quantcast

I cant pick a fork. help me please.

atb

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
the north shore
My new bike is on its way. It comes with a 06 fox 40rc2. Should I keep the fox or get a 06 boxxer WC.

I was looking forward to trying the new air fork.

The frame has a fox dhx 5.0 coil shock so that might match better with the coil shock. I can’t use a dhx air.

But the 05 fox 40's had problems with snapped arches. But that might be fixed now.

I liked my old boxxer, and I really liked it when it had the mojo kit in it (mojo internals are very similar to the fox 40 dampers, they use the same parts)

The boxxer is also lighter then the fox.

It so hard to make a choice. It’s like trying to decide between a Lamborghini and a Ferrari

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
atb said:
My new bike is on its way. It comes with a 06 fox 40rc2. Should I keep the fox or get a 06 boxxer WC.

I was looking forward to trying the new air fork.

The frame has a fox dhx 5.0 coil shock so that might match better with the coil shock. I can’t use a dhx air.

But the 05 fox 40's had problems with snapped arches. But that might be fixed now.

I liked my old boxxer, and I really liked it when it had the mojo kit in it (mojo internals are very similar to the fox 40 dampers, they use the same parts)

The boxxer is also lighter then the fox.

It so hard to make a choice. It’s like trying to decide between a Lamborghini and a Ferrari

run the 40, you won't regret it :heart:

Lanky

Chimp
Feb 8, 2005
Ma
Bicyclist said:
What bike are you getting?
sounds like a demo 8 II

run the fox, find you don't like it buy a boxxer. I bet selling a amost new 40 would not be that hard

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
^ That's what came to my mind first, but there are lots of bikes with that setup too. For a Demo, I would run a 40 because its stiffness compliments the frame.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I've been on my 40 for a year now. Best fork I've ever ridden, hands down. The stiffness over the boxxer is quite substaintial. So is the plushness. Maybe the boxxer I had wasn't set up right, but the fox kills it.
I also think the build quality and CS from fox bests that of RS.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Id sell the Fox and get an 888 with flat crowns. Thats just me. Plus, a black fork would look awesome on that bike. Im just a Zoke fan, though.

atb

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
the north shore
Kanter said:
Id sell the Fox and get an 888 with flat crowns. Thats just me. Plus, a black fork would look awesome on that bike. Im just a Zoke fan, though.
the last time i rode a 888 it was on a 2005 norco a-line, the fork only lasted 3 runs befor it locked out with only 2" of travel left showing. now it was a vf but my 2003 boxxer race lasted longer then that befor the stock plastic base valve broke.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
atb said:
the last time i rode a 888 it was on a 2005 norco a-line, the fork only lasted 3 runs befor it locked out with only 2" of travel left showing. now it was a vf but my 2003 boxxer race lasted longer then that befor the stock plastic base valve broke.

Im not going to get into it; Boxxer vs 888. Just trying to help. All I will say is most Boxxers wont last and most 888s will. The VF is a piece. I will admit that.

A Boxxer wouldn't last a month on my bike. The Fox is a sweet fork but wounldn't last on my bike, either.

Some forks are hit or miss. I never had a problem with my 04 888. The seals on my 05 888 lasted about 2 months before they leaked. Now, they have been going strong with no leaks for 8 months. Ive been through lots of shocks and forks. Montana riding is hard on bikes. Ive seen 3 broken Banshees (same guy), a broken Demo 9 (only complete Demo 9 warrantied, ever), a broke Foes Fly, a broke Bullit all in the last few months. The only thing not breaking where I live is 888s and Avalanches.

Ive seen Boxxers make it one DH run and then I have seen them last 3-4 years with no problems. Sometimes you get lucky sometimes you dont. You sound like you had good luck with your Boxxer.

I would be willing to bet that the reliability % of the 888 is better than the Boxxer or the Fox.

When I buy bike parts I go with reliability. I hate having my bike broke down in the middle of the season or in the middle of a race run.

Im sure whatever you choose it will be sweet.

atb

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
the north shore
I live in Vancouver, and if I need to get any work done on the fox I’d have to send it away to Edmonton. But with the Boxxer I can do every thing my self.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
buy an avalanche....

Between the 2 forks id stick with the 40. Fox is now warrantying if you get a bad one so its a good deal.

The boxxer is just too new to know if its gonna last or not

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Kanter said:
A Boxxer wouldn't last a month on my bike. The Fox is a sweet fork but wounldn't last on my bike, either.QUOTE]

^^^^what are you doing that everyone else isnt???

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Kanter said:
Im not going to get into it; Boxxer vs 888. Just trying to help. All I will say is most Boxxers wont last and most 888s will. The VF is a piece. I will admit that.

A Boxxer wouldn't last a month on my bike. The Fox is a sweet fork but wounldn't last on my bike, either.

Some forks are hit or miss. I never had a problem with my 04 888. The seals on my 05 888 lasted about 2 months before they leaked. Now, they have been going strong with no leaks for 8 months. Ive been through lots of shocks and forks. Montana riding is hard on bikes. Ive seen 3 broken Banshees (same guy), a broken Demo 9 (only complete Demo 9 warrantied, ever), a broke Foes Fly, a broke Bullit all in the last few months. The only thing not breaking where I live is 888s and Avalanches.

Ive seen Boxxers make it one DH run and then I have seen them last 3-4 years with no problems. Sometimes you get lucky sometimes you dont. You sound like you had good luck with your Boxxer.

I would be willing to bet that the reliability % of the 888 is better than the Boxxer or the Fox.

When I buy bike parts I go with reliability. I hate having my bike broke down in the middle of the season or in the middle of a race run.

Im sure whatever you choose it will be sweet.
What the fark are you doing to your bike? Short of just running into immovable objects at high speed, there should be FA difference between any of them. The whole "Boxxers are unreliable" thing has been sorted for years now, and other than a few cracked Fox arches I have no reason whatsoever to believe that they'd be unreliable. If the Vanillas are anything to go by, the 40s should go a fair while.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
i just love how people hear are talking about how the new boxxer feels. just remember you kinda have to rewrite the bowwer rules because all the internals are new including the springs. i personly like the old boxxer on the dh. if you know how to lube the thing up i dare to to find a smoother fork. but i will say the old boxxer box stock are kinda sticky. i have never ridding the new fox 40 so i can comment on it. the older 888 are too tall and it sound like the new ones are shorter but not really short. they do have a good track record though and they feel ok. one fork i would also look into is the travis i think this thing will be a real hit. it should pedal/sprint well like the new boxxer will because they both share a platform of types. also the travis and boxxer will be the lightest.

atb

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
the north shore
Sir_Crackien said:
also to the person that said what until they come out with a matching rear shock. that has happened its called the pearl! looks sweet to me
i alredy looked at that and the larges size is a 8.75x2.6. and thats not going to fit on a dhr. and it's listed as a all moutain shock.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I like the new 06 Boxxer WC. It is so light!!!! I like to feel when riding it too. I will be getting one for my 06 DH race bike. I just got a 06 Revelation Air U-turn. I like the way it feels too. I think they have the air thing dialed in great now.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
pretty much every rockshox ever has been easy to work on and looking through the tech manual the 06 seem to as easy if not easier.

atb they also list the pike and the boxxer ride as all mountian forks. also the 07 "DH" shoch looks alot like a pearl with a ressi

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Sir_Crackien said:
also the 07 "DH" shoch looks alot like a pearl with a ressi
yes but you cannot go on looks alone. the pearl is not a dh shock. at most it will handle some aggressive trail riding and all mountain riding. the internals on the dh shock are probably completely different.