Quantcast

I completed my first century!!!!

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
well...its over, yesterday I attempted and completed my first Century. I actually did better than I expected. I used my hardtail with 2.0 slicks, and stupid me used a rack system adding 15 pds (I will never add any more weight to a bike when doing a century again). In total I went 106.9 miles, and averaged 14.1 MPH. In no way is this roadie fast, but for anyone who knows me i am not quite a roadie build :cool: . I am actually shocked I am not really sore either, excpet for my.. well you know... 8 hrs in the saddle is just asking for trouble.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
douglas said:
awesome! was this solo or a group ride?

why did you have a rack system on anyway??
thanks everyone!!!!

because i have been on some rides where the support wasnt so great i brought extra tubes, tools, clif bars , sunglasses, keys, wallet, jacket,kitchen sink etc.
I will never do it again

its a huge ride of all different lengths a lot of people but as time cgoes on it spreads out

Century info

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
hooples3 said:
thanks everyone!!!!

because i have been on some rides where the support wasnt so great i brought extra tubes, tools, clif bars , sunglasses, keys, wallet, jacket,kitchen sink etc.
I will never do it again

its a huge ride of all different lengths a lot of people but as time cgoes on it spreads out

Century info

dang, thats not so cheap.

I am (more than likely) doing my 2nd century every next month

http://www.bikereg.com/races/register.asp?EventID=2449

its just $10

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
MudGrrl said:
That's awesome hooples!

What advice would you give to a person who has never done a century before? (besides don't pack the wok)
it wasnt as hard as i thought it would be...
I ride alot but I dont consider what I do to be training. I do a lot of 35-45 mile rides during the summer.. at least one a week. Dont be afraid of doing one. at about mile 70 - 80 i was ready to give up.. but then i realized I was so close and hung in there. It felt amazing to finish. This Century was through the streets on NYC, four of the boroughs, with traffic so there was a lot of stopping and starting, I think I would prefer to just be able to keep riding with less traffic. and all downhill would be nice too!!

J

JRB

I am doing 75 in the hills on Saturday. I have never done a century, but I may just add 25 miles at the end of the ride. They will be all down hill. Not sure how I will get back to the camp, but I am considering it. Headlines may read, "Dumb ass completes century, but dies trying to get to camp".

*oh - congrats - I seemed to have made this about me. :help:

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Nice job!!

For advice - be prepared. As long as you have some decent hours in the saddle you should be fine. Just realize that even at a minimum, you'll be in the saddle for most likely 5+ house on the road depending how much climbing there is, and 8+ on the dirt.

J

JRB

Ridemonkey said:
Oh...that kind of century. In Canada a century involves beer.

But then again...what doesn't?
Fvkkin' Canadians. :mumble:

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
I did a metric century once. Does that count?

Oh - congrats, hooples.

I seem to have made this about me. :help:
No - it doesn't count. Are you friggin' Canadian???