Quantcast

I converted to Mac

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I will never do business with Clearwire again. Bunch of scammy bastards. I had to complain formally through the BBB before they'd cancel my account and (prorated) refund the last unused month of my service.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
and considering the lengths telecom co's go to in order to prevent improved networks (see Monticello, Minnesota and Lafayette Louisiana), don't expect the kind of infrastructure needed anytime within at least a decade.
google's test of their fiber optic network is a good start, but still far far away from widespread use

I had to complain formally through the BBB before they'd cancel my account and (prorated) refund the last unused month of my service.
im surprised they bothered to do anything. filing a complaint with the BBB is typically useless

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Good on you man. Macs are nice if you want you computer to be more like an appliance and less like an ongoing project. As you see, the included software is pretty decent too.
That is a huge part of why I made the change. I started looking at the specs on PCs and realized that I was getting into some sort of weird head space where I just kept wanting to get more horsepower. Then I realized that what I was buying was a tool to do a job. Sure, the PC's looked to have more power, but if the power isn't useable by the user, then it is all a waste.

In bike terms, I felt like I was comparing a virtual pivot or linkage bike to a single-pivot. Sure, linkage bikes can be tuned to get a "better" wheel path, pedaling platform, and proper balance of rising/falling rates. However, a well desinged single pivot will do a very nice job for a large portion of the riding popluation, without the complexity.

ISWYDT and I like it.

I didn't think I'd be saying this about a Mac in my lifetime (not that I could say it after my lifetime) but here goes: It is easy to argue that PC's are better machines for less money when you look at the raw components spec (I brought a spreadsheet to the Mac store showing the PCs I was looking at, including the specs and costs, and the staff there said "those are great specs for that cost, and we can't compete with that"). However, the synergy and user-friendly interface of a well designed system allows for a more useable product.

Ultimately the best tool is the one that lets you get the job done the way you want it to be done.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
WiMax has pretty much been snubbed in favor of LTE.

Sprint is desperately hanging onto WiMax for their 4G networks but the tech may be at a dead end since the largest mobile carriers (Verizon and AT&T specifically) have thrown their support behind LTE.

It's still a bit of a debate in the US since Clearwire has some decent market saturation and the next generation WiMax actually has speeds to compete with LTE... but I think LTE will win out, especially because most global carriers are moving towards LTE.
Ah, good to know. The WiMax lab at Intel was focusing on (at the time anyway) an option for broadband speed in remote locations without running wire. It was more about PC's (being Intel) than phones, but the same principals apply, data is data.

At Arris, I was working on what they called "3 screen delivery" for streaming content. No reason to pull 4GB worth of movie data to watch on your phone, or maybe even your PC. Having the proper level of detail is something the cable industry doesn't seem to understand yet.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
That is a huge part of why I made the change. I started looking at the specs on PCs and realized that I was getting into some sort of weird head space where I just kept wanting to get more horsepower. Then I realized that what I was buying was a tool to do a job. Sure, the PC's looked to have more power, but if the power isn't useable by the user, then it is all a waste.
MOAR POWER!!!!!!!