Quantcast

I did it! I finally bought broadband!!

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
I'm such a cheaparse!....but i finally decided to order broadband. my apartment community is pre-wired for lightstar, a fiber optic ethernet connection. i just plug straight into the wall and enjoy 3-5mbps speed....much better than the 35-50k dail-up that i've had for years.

so anyway, just thought i'd share my joyous news :D :D :D :thumb: :D :D

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
his avatar is of a woman (~20yo) protestor showing off her battle wounds when police fired bean bags into a crowd that wouldn't disperse.

Congo Rats on the hi-speed, now you need an eyepatch!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
LordOpie said:
his avatar is of a woman (~20yo) protestor showing off her battle wounds when police fired bean bags into a crowd that wouldn't disperse.

Congo Rats on the hi-speed, now you need an eyepatch!

Hippy B!tch

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Pirates are not Hippy B!tches.

I prefer to think of us as Robin Hood.

1. Pirates are mammals.
2. Pirates steal ALL the time.
3. The purpose of the Pirate is to bit torrent and distribute.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
SkaredShtles said:
Get a firewall for your PC if you don't already have one..................

-S.S.-
Or a wireless router. You can put your computer wherever you like (aren't tethered to the outlet) and you have an automatic hardware firewall.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Arrrgghh!
Ahem, It's not Pirate... It's privateer.
Congrats on the broadband. High speed rocks.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
dh girlie said:
I saw some pirates this weekend at the show at TI in Vegas....:drool: :drool: mmmm...hot shirtless soaking wet piiiiiirrrraaattttesss....
Actually, the one that's shirtless isn't a pirate. :p

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
johnbryanpeters said:
Not a fan of freedom of assembly or of speech?

not when they're blocking supply lines to our troops! believe in the war or not, keeping food/supplies from joe soldier is just wrong. she's lucky that's all she got.

ok, derailment over.

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
You'll never go back...When my wife quit to stay home with the baby, we cut back on everything we really didn't need. Dish, Cell Phones, etc. One thing I refused to cut was the broadband...I just could go back to dial-up.

I've heard that verizon is going to be coming out with something new in our area soon. They will be wiring Fiber Optics to each house. Basically it will run up to your house to a box similar to your phone. From that fiber, they will offer Phone service, internet service, and I believe a TV service if I remember right. The entire package will run $100 a month from what I remember. But I think if you get just the internet it's $29.99 for % down and 2.5 up I believe. That's much cheaper than Comcast.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
I would advise caution with the Verizon DSL, unless you are fairly close to the CO. Real close, in fact. Check HERE to verify how far away you are and what types of up/down speeds others close by are getting. I had a terrible experience with Verizon DSL, and would have a hard time going back to them. Lousy speeds no where near what they claimed, (regardless of any tweaking), had to renew the IP every other time I booted up, and sometimes while connected, and I won't even address their lack of customer service. I'll pay the extra $10 a month for cable broadband with better speeds and reliability. :blah:

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
I don't know if you were responding to my post, or just giving your opinion with DSL. DSL does suck. But I was talking about Verizons new Fiber Optic solution. I don't think it's available yet.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
A little of both. A fiber setup for $30 a month would be sweet. :cool: Not ruling it out, but I would have to be convinced of Verizon's ability to deliver, before I would try anything from them again. YMMV.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
the fiber optic deal is what i'm getting...but not through verizon. they planned ahead with these new apartments and pre-wired them for it. the dude came by today and hooked everything up on my end but they were having some problems at the hub, said they'll have it fixed tomorrow. i'm anxious to see how fast it's really going to be. but heck, with a gauranteed minimum speed of 3mbps for under $40...i don't think i'll be complaining :D oh yeah, got a discount on my phone service when i ordered the broadband connection.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
manimal said:
the fiber optic deal is what i'm getting...but not through verizon. they planned ahead with these new apartments and pre-wired them for it. the dude came by today and hooked everything up on my end but they were having some problems at the hub, said they'll have it fixed tomorrow. i'm anxious to see how fast it's really going to be. but heck, with a gauranteed minimum speed of 3mbps for under $40...i don't think i'll be complaining :D oh yeah, got a discount on my phone service when i ordered the broadband connection.
Run some speed tests when you get it hooked up to see how fast you are going. Try www.dslreports.com There are others but it's the only one I can think of at the moment. Sounds like you got a sweet deal on the service.

OK... Dumb rant on: C'mon dude, change the avatar. It's in bad taste. To give an extreme example, I think it would be equal to the protester hippy people having a picture up of a cop that was severly injured. Neither of which are cool, IMO. It's pretty disturbing too. OK... rant off. :D

Ciaran said:
OK... Dumb rant on: C'mon dude, change the avatar. It's in bad taste. To give an extreme example, I think it would be equal to the protester hippy people having a picture up of a cop that was severly injured. Neither of which are cool, IMO. It's pretty disturbing too. OK... rant off. :D
:stupid: I second the motion.

I was trying to formulate a response, but had not managed to put the words together.

J

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Ciaran said:
well, I'm a jew and you don't hear me complaining about all the pork avatars, do ya? Sitting there, taunting me. Eat me, eat me.

;)

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
berkshire_rider said:
A little of both. A fiber setup for $30 a month would be sweet. :cool: Not ruling it out, but I would have to be convinced of Verizon's ability to deliver, before I would try anything from them again. YMMV.
Amen on the delivery. I bet they'll find a way to screw i tup and piss a bunch of people off. I'm letting my friend test it first. He's the one that told me about it.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
manimal said:
not when they're blocking supply lines to our troops! believe in the war or not, keeping food/supplies from joe soldier is just wrong. she's lucky that's all she got.

ok, derailment over.
you know.......nevermind

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
LordOpie said:
well, I'm a jew and you don't hear me complaining about all the pork avatars, do ya? Sitting there, taunting me. Eat me, eat me.
Touche!

Mmmm poooorrrk :drool: That magical animal where bacon and ham and pork chops come from. Yummy! :oink:

Have I offended you yet? :D

Happy riot police guy is cool. And think of it this way... if someone asks who happy riot police guy is you can tell him that he's the one who beat up the hippy protester. :D

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Ciaran said:
Touche!

Mmmm poooorrrk :drool: That magical animal where bacon and ham and pork chops come from. Yummy! :oink:

Have I offended you yet? :D

Happy riot police guy is cool. And think of it this way... if someone asks who happy riot police guy is you can tell him that he's the one who beat up the hippy protester. :D

well, it was either the happy face guy or this:D

but that pic is hard to decipher when its scaled down to avatar size

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
manimal said:
well, it was either the happy face guy or this:D

but that pic is hard to decipher when its scaled down to avatar size
Dang! that officer is decked out in the armor. Way cool, especially the boots. Cops have the best boots. Well, them and paratroopers. What is it that he's shooting though?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Ciaran said:
Dang! that officer is decked out in the armor. Way cool, especially the boots. Cops have the best boots. Well, them and paratroopers. What is it that he's shooting though?
Isn't that a bean-bag gun? The kind that leaves welts the size of grapefruits.

Too bad our troops don't have armor like that. Too bad our troops are anywhere that they'd need armor.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
pixelninja said:
How's this?

holy crap, you are my hero. why didn't i think of that!

so...keep the happy riot guy or use the well clad dude at the WTO in seattle?

oh, it's hard to say what he's shooting out of that gun. more than likely, it's tear gas but you can load it with just about anything. it's like a buffett gun for crowd control.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
manimal said:
ok, changed my avatar....i hope the image of the happy riot police dude isn't so offensive to all. after all, i am in the business of being non-offensive :rolleyes: ;) :D
When i first saw it i thought it was the wallmart smilie face in riot gear