Quantcast

i disabled my VGA i can't SEE, need help, its dark in here..............

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
i have done the same thing but i can't get into safe mode. it hangs at mup.sys. it will not go any farther. seems imposible to memorize the key to enable blind. anything i can do aside from new xp install? alex It seems like I made a huge mistake in my hardware configuration. I disabled the plug ans play monitor in the hardware configuration thinking that it would reinstall when I rebooted the machine. Now whenever it boots and it gets to windows, the monitor goes blank and I am unable to enable the monitor again. I tried hooking up a different monitor to no avail. I am unsure what else to do. I could completely reinstall Windows XP. Please help me.

OK, i have tried everything i have found in all my google searches. So, i can get into windows i hear it start. so i am trying to do it blind with the keyboard. here is what i have so far from hitting windows start key - up 3x -enter compmgmt.msc - enter down 5-6 - TAB ..............i am nor sure here. M - 3 or 2 times ................need help here too. * on the numberpad - down 1 - enter TAB 1x - up one - TAB - enter. restart. this has not worked yet but i think i am close. any help with the key strokes? alex

SpaZwEll

Monkey
Sep 18, 2002
Emerald VIP
Why not reinstall windows? Boot the disc like you are going to do an install. After you accept F8 and all, it will find your current install. It will ask you what you want to do. Do a REPAIR!! It will keep all your data, desktop etc. But hopefully will correct your mishap.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
i tryed that, i get an error and it will not continue.

i don't want to format.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
what video card do you have?
if its an ati, you can download the uninstaller, and run it blindly from a floppy, and hope the next reboot it installs the video card.

or you can hook up the s-video to a tv if available.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Trying to do it blindly is really, really asking for a headache. Part of the reason being that Windows isn't completely reliable with stuff like that - it will occasionally pull window focus somewhere else, things like that.

Use your Windows XP CD, start the installation, and use the "Repair" option.

Popping another video card in there MIGHT fix the problem, but if you disabled the monitor, it may have simply totally disabled Windows' default monitor output. The "Repair" option has a good chance of fixing it, though. It's accessed through the installation CD, start the actual installation itself (that is, don't try the recovery console), and as you're going through the steps it'll say something like "There is a current installation detected. Press "R" to repair the installation or hit F8 to install over it"... something like that. The repair option will keep your programs and settings intact and should re-detect your hardware.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Trying to do it blindly is really, really asking for a headache. Part of the reason being that Windows isn't completely reliable with stuff like that - it will occasionally pull window focus somewhere else, things like that.

Use your Windows XP CD, start the installation, and use the "Repair" option.

Popping another video card in there MIGHT fix the problem, but if you disabled the monitor, it may have simply totally disabled Windows' default monitor output. ................
yes i disabled plug and play. installing any card doesn't work.
i use onboard video from my asus.

i don't have a bootable XP so i'm dling one so i don't have to mess with 6 floppies.

LOL i though it would be fun to do it blind. ITS RIGHT there i just can't see. it.

i have found a few variables like you said. and have tryed what i know but if a few of you could go thru the key strokes i might find out the way in.

anyone up to try it.

here is what i have so far from hitting
windows start key - up 3x - enter
compmgmt.msc - enter
down 5-6 - TAB ..............i am nor sure here depend on whats inslalled.
M - 3 or 2 times ................M=mice/modem/monitor need help here too.
* on the numberpad - down 1 - enter
TAB 1x - up one - TAB - enter - enter.
restart.

come on give it a try!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The problem is that everyone's config is different, so there's no way of telling what keys to hit. For instance, start key then up 3x gives me "Help and Support" not "Run". If you have logging installed, the number of times you hit down after using the run box will be different. If you have more than one monitor installed - and you might very well have more than one even if only one has ever been connected, since you might have "default monitor" and "plug and play monitor" and "<your model number> monitor" - you have no idea which one is disabled.

So, this probably doesn't help in the slighest, but in the interest of feeding your frustration, after using the run box, I do this:

Down 6 times
Tab
Hit "M"
Down twice
Hit the right arrow

Now hitting down will bring you into your first installed monitor. I don't know which monitor you'll need to select, but to re-activate a deactivated component, after you've highlighted it:

Enter
Tab
Up once
Tab
Space bar

If it doesn't reactivate immediately, try rebooting. If it still doesn't work, you probably reactivated the wrong monitor.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Have you try resetting the CMOS, just for grins? I know it's not really related since you disabled your display in windows. While you're in BIOS after CMOS clear, take a look at the p&p option in there and try changing that...

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
cmos might work.

if you reduce the memory to the minimum, or change the agp speed to 2x or 4x.. windows might load with a default vga driver.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
i am not using a agp card. its onboard.

i did try that twards the start of this 2 days ago.

its a windows setting, windows loads and starts i can HEAR it.

just can't see it to re enable my plug and play monitor.

i am trying to repair windows now.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I know that you know now, but disabling hardware is specifically so that Windows won't detect it and install a new driver for it every time. Delete items that you want detected again. Of course, your safe mode should have worked so you obviously had more than one problem there :p

Glad you got it sorted though.