Quantcast

I do, I do!!..

pumpkinator

Monkey
Dec 4, 2008
..have five personal jerseys given to me by a certain pro cyclocross racer whom has beaten Lance Armstrong twice.

i bet you all didn't see that coming, huh?

i'll let you all guess who this cyclist is.

pumpkinator

Monkey
Dec 4, 2008
he has two young children so i as well as his wife would have to assume that he's much more than active.

Last edited:

pumpkinator

Monkey
Dec 4, 2008
christ almighty, i guess i'll throw you all another bone.

he has been ranked world on numerous occasions, highest being in the top 5 but that's all you get.

pumpkinator

Monkey
Dec 4, 2008
another hint you say?

fine. the first letter of his first name resides in the latter half of the aLphAbet and the first letter of his last name begins in the first half of the aLphAbet.

fair enough?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Look I Am Giving You Attention, So Much Attention!!!

pumpkinator

Monkey
Dec 4, 2008
i know no one cares except for me but i'm still in complete jaw dropping awe about the entire thing.

three of the five. have a grand day folks and folkettes!

pumpkinator

Monkey
Dec 4, 2008
one thing you monkeys should know about me, i am pretty dumb. i also apparently like the taste of my own foot.

but if there is one person (cyclist) whom i admire more so than Lance, it's my bud.

Give 'em hell, Sir WIll!!

The top 5 results follow:

1. Lance Armstrong-USPS
2. Will Black-Lone Star
3. Brian Ellis-GCCA
4. Rob Kane-Team Diabetic
5. Scott Henry-Trek/VW

Last edited:

pumpkinator

Monkey
Dec 4, 2008
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/cycling/3275508

July 20, 2005, 10:46PM

CYCLING NOTEBOOK
After duel with Armstrong, Black finds a new niche
Houstonian puts name on map in sport of cyclocross
By STEVE SIEVERT
For the Chronicle

Lance Armstrong was on the verge of defeat.

ADVERTISEMENT

America's cycling golden boy decided to try his hand at cyclocross — a mishmash of off-road cycling and cross-country running — at a race in his hometown of Austin. His participation in this relatively low-key event in the winter of 2002 was a shock to his fellow competitors. More surprising? Armstrong was getting all he could handle at the front of the pack.

Houston's Will Black was an emerging force on the cyclocross scene in Texas. After nearly 10 years of success as a mountain bike professional, Black, now 37, was transitioning to this cycling hybrid as a means of staying in shape. Little did he know going into that race at Walnut Creek Park that he was going be part of a duel with cycling royalty.

"We were about 10 minutes into the hour-long race, and I was able to break away from a small group and get a bit of a gap," Black said. "I was able to build a lead of about 30 to 35 seconds and was really feeling good."

Leading a Tour de France champion tends to have that effect. With his confidence growing, Black covered the next 10 minutes with his lead intact. Thirty minutes in, Armstrong was looking at Black's backside.

Then, with a lap and a half to go, Armstrong made a move. He decided he would not lose — not on this day. Armstrong used a short climb to inch past Black and claim an ever-so-slight lead. Armstrong would hold on to win. Black, in the race of a lifetime, was only 20 seconds behind in second.

"He was working," Black said. "Not to take anything away from him, but he was definitely working to bring me back. When he passed me, I dug so deep to try to stay with him, but I just couldn't go."

The stuff of legend
The story of what unfolded at Walnut Creek that December morning has turned into cyclocross legend in these parts. Armstrong, then a four-time Tour de France champion, was getting all he could handle from an up-and-coming cyclocross racer chasing a storybook victory.

From that point on, Armstrong's story is well documented. He added two more Tour titles, and is on the verge of a seventh. Black's legacy isn't quite in the same stratosphere, but it's impressive in its own right.

Black was a top-notch BMX racer growing up in Clear Lake. He gave mountain biking a shot at the age of 19 and won the first race he entered. He quickly ascended the ranks in the mountain bike world, turned pro in 1991 and began competing at the national level. At last count, his win total hovered around 250 races — not bad for a racer whose access to mountains in Houston is, well, nonexistent.

"Other riders used to tell me all the time that I needed to move," Black said. "They said I couldn't be competitive in mountain bike racing by living in Houston. But I've always enjoyed living here and didn't want to relocate for just half a dozen big races a year. I've always been proud of being from Texas and being able to compete at a high level."

To simulate mountain riding, Black would do long intervals — upwards of 20 minutes — in a big gear. That combination of high resistance and low speed on area trails was as close as he could get to a difficult mountain pass without leaving Houston.

It was that type of training that prepared Black for one of his sternest tests, the Leadville Trail 100 in Colorado. The so-called "race across the sky" is considered one of the toughest races in the sport for its 100-mile distance and extreme altitude. Despite not having the benefit of true mountain training, Black took fourth place in 2003 — the highest finish in the race's storied history for a competitor who lives at sea level.

Family-friendly pursuit
He still carries his pro license, but Black effectively has retired from the pro mountain biking circuit. His competitive focus is on cyclocross, which is more conducive to another favorite pursuit, spending time at home with wife, Melanie, and their 18-month-old daughter, Ellie.

"The races are just an hour long, so cyclocross doesn't require as much training to be in good shape," he said. "I have more time to do other things."

But that doesn't mean Black has traded his world-class status for a spot in the middle of the pack. He finished ninth at the masters cyclocross world championships last year, and has his sights set on winning the event this year.

Cycling for charity
A couple from North Carolina is cycling across the country to help raise the profile of Pratham USA — a Houston-based charity promoting the education of underprivileged children in India.

Chuck and Laura Richardson kicked off their 4,500-mile, 90-day journey called Biking Across America For Pratham in May. During the cross-country trek, the Richardsons plan to take Pratham's message to local communities while encouraging action among those interested in Pratham's mission. Events are planned in Houston, Dallas, Austin and Los Angeles. To make a donation in support of the Richardsons' ride, visit www.prathamusa.org.

Steve Sievert covers cycling for the Chronicle. His notebook appears Thursdays. Reach him at 713-876-4424, or send e-mail to cycling.notebook@earthlink.net.

pumpkinator

Monkey
Dec 4, 2008
correct me if i'm wrong but i do believe that Sir WIll Black laid to rest the mountain bike word in recent at leadville, now holding the ss record.

BOOZINB85

Chimp
Dec 8, 2008
Cypress, Texas
Preston, I'm pretty certain Will doesn't want you dropping his name on this site. Your reputation on Teamsmack, Theanthills, and Chaos cycling is not exactly glowing.

Folks, this guy will use your site like his personal blog, just be prepared.

BOOZINB85

Chimp
Dec 8, 2008
Cypress, Texas
correct me if i'm wrong but i do believe that Sir WIll Black laid to rest the mountain bike word in recent at leadville, now holding the ss record.
Like I said, this tool doesn't know a damned thing regarding cycling. Will didn't race Leadville you dope. Stick with what you know, which is nothing.

pumpkinator

Monkey
Dec 4, 2008
Like I said, this tool doesn't know a damned thing regarding cycling. Will didn't race Leadville you dope. Stick with what you know, which is nothing.
wanna bet? i didn't say this past year now did i? is this the same guy whom is too scared to race me bike for bike?

come on guy, we can up the anti. if i win, i and yes i am changing the rules, i do want your bike. you don't get off scott free on this one HoOd.

continuous talking babble from behind your pc is not impressive, twit.

mileage? you said 50 but i want 200. say when.

pumpkinator

Monkey
Dec 4, 2008
Preston, I'm pretty certain Will doesn't want you dropping his name on this site. Your reputation on Teamsmack, Theanthills, and Chaos cycling is not exactly glowing.

Folks, this guy will use your site like his personal blog, just be prepared.

you all keep talking about this 'blog' thing and i have yet to finger that one out.

1. who's Will?
2. screw chaos.
3. what's a teamsmack?

pumpkinator

Monkey
Dec 4, 2008
one more thing CoOkie, i have asked WIll PERSONALLY if he minded if i speak of him and if it gets toO much than he can just tell me to stfu. i am ony getting across that being a pro and then being a world ranked pro-cool mofo are two complete and utter different worlds.

again, there is more than cycling in which is why i admire the man.

pumpkinator

Monkey
Dec 4, 2008
whoops, silly me. i fUrgOt that one must actually own their own bike so as to be able to lose it in a race.

get one that actually belongs to you and we'll race unless your bike shop doesn't mind giving me theirs.

and i want that in writing from the owner.

BOOZINB85

Chimp
Dec 8, 2008
Cypress, Texas
whoops, silly me. i fUrgOt that one must actually own their own bike so as to be able to lose it in a race.

get one that actually belongs to you and we'll race unless your bike shop doesn't mind giving me theirs.

and i want that in writing from the owner.
Here you go folks, Preston at his best.

I do believe your initial challange was 50 miles, and I put up $100, and you put up your bike.

I was also informed by a friend you visited a few days ago that also included in this challange was that you would beat me by 15 minutes.

This was the challange, this is the only challange.

Don't forget last year when we did the first race, and you got lost, then didn't do the complete 54 miles, infact you only did 25 and I beat you by 30 minutes.

Folks don't be fooled, this guy is a complete dolt, be him sober or wasted.

Also were do you get off saying I don't own my bike?

pumpkinator

Monkey
Dec 4, 2008
and so you know, i will be selling your bike and GIVING half of the money (about ten bucks i'd have to assume)to toninator for you being such a dumb hillbilly derilect.

sweet revenge. bring it.

pumpkinator

Monkey
Dec 4, 2008
krist hoOd, you really are weak.

i will stand firm in the fifteen minutes but you must have a bike for me to sell.

pumpkinator

Monkey
Dec 4, 2008
btw, how's Laura doing?

and if you do not own a bike, we can do truck for truck instead.

your crap dodge for my crap ford.

you wanna play with the big boys, you gotta put up or shut up.

BOOZINB85

Chimp
Dec 8, 2008
Cypress, Texas
krist hoOd, you really are weak.

i will stand firm in the fifteen minutes but you must have a bike for me to sell.
Nope, sorry moron, my bike is an sworks, with full campy record/chorus with Ksyrium ssc's.

Your's is a pos bottom of the line Tarmac.

My bike is worth 5 times what your's is worth.

Your bet was my $100 against your bike.

50 miles, you must win by 15 minutes.

This is non negiotiable.

pumpkinator

Monkey
Dec 4, 2008
Nope, sorry moron, my bike is an sworks, with full campy record/chorus with Ksyrium ssc's.

Your's is a pos bottom of the line Tarmac.

My bike is worth 5 times what your's is worth.

Your bet was my $100 against your bike.

50 miles, you must win by 15 minutes.

This is non negiotiable.
no it's not. it's a soOn to be tarmac with campy record/chorus and ksyrium wheels.

and if you are so sure you will win, then why not put it up. seems a bit unfair for me to be the only one with something to lose.

scared? goodbye CoOkie, you bore me.

BOOZINB85

Chimp
Dec 8, 2008
Cypress, Texas
no it's not. it's a soOn to be tarmac with campy record/chorus and ksyrium wheels.

and if you are so sure you will win, then why not put it up. seems a bit unfair for me to be the only one with something to lose.

scared? goodbye CoOkie, you bore me.

Your'd the one who made the challange Preston, you are the one who is scared
Little coward, I knew you'd crawfish your way out of this one as usual.

pumpkinator

Monkey
Dec 4, 2008
puleeze hOod, you aren't fooling anyone. that bike does not belong to you and secondly, you have no right and are completley undeserved of being on such a classy and speed and guts specific bike.

when i lost to you, i was on a Marlin with 1.9 panaracers. now i'm on a carbon roadie.

again, put up or shut up, little girl.

BOOZINB85

Chimp
Dec 8, 2008
Cypress, Texas
puleeze hOod, you aren't fooling anyone. that bike does not belong to you and secondly, you have no right and are completley undeserved of being on such a classy and speed and guts specific bike.

when i lost to you, i was on a Marlin with 1.9 panaracers. now i'm on a carbon roadie.

again, put up or shut up, little girl.
Oh, so my Sworks along with the 4 other rigs I own don't belong to me?

Whatever.

You were the one who made the challange of your bike vs my $100. 50 miles and you have to actually do it this time, and you will beat me by 15 minutes. This is the challange you made, this is the only challange that I accepted.

I've got the cash, come and show up at zubie park this saturday, we'll do the clay walker route, which is just over 50 miles.

pumpkinator

Monkey
Dec 4, 2008
first and foremost, my apologies to any and all monkeys if this is not what you all care to see on your site. feel free to pm me and let me know if your eyes are bleeding and i'll quit responding to babblegirlbeme85timesover.

bike for bike. all or nothing.

pumpkinator

Monkey
Dec 4, 2008
just.kill.me.now.

1. i was kidding asking about Sir Will.
2. i never referenced anyone and have only mingled slightly with hellokitty.
3. please do not ban me.