Quantcast

I done broke my bike again.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I've had my bike about two months, and I seem to be beating the sh!t out of it. What am I doing wrong?? :(

The most recent problem seems to be in the rear derailleur area. Specifically, when I am on the middle ring on the front, and the biggest ring on the back, my bike skips like heck. As soon as I shift out off the biggest back ring, I am fine. The bike skips a bit when I shift up to the small ring on the front too. The problem started just after I had a minor crash Saturday. Does anyone have any idea what I am talking about? I suck at bike maintenance, so now I have to bring the thing back to the shop (2nd time in three weeks).

I'm not sure if I am riding my bike too hard, or if the Shimano components I seem to keep breaking just suck.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by Acadian
hummmm

Is the derailleur hanger bent? New bikes usually get cable stretch, so maybe the derailleur might just need some slight adjustments!

Yep, I guarantee its one or the other or both. Easy fix:thumb: So don't worry:D

flbikerman

Chimp
Oct 2, 2001
Sherman, TX
just a couple of more suggestions...... maybe your teeth hit on something and are bent. or maybe your back tire isn't on straight. both have happened to me and caused my gears to skip or jump.

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
I saw a good one this past week while wrenchin' at the LBS... some guy's shifting wasn't so hot, so we pulled the wheel off to have a look at dropout alignment and clean the cluster... 2 pieces of axle and 18 bearings fall out :confused: that was fun. :monkey:

G

gravity

phaaaaark how can somebody not notice a broken axle?! frickin people who don't have a clue about their bikes at all annoy the hell outta me. a guy i know said to me that he bent his rim because he did a 3' drop on his rigid POS (worth about $350AUD) and asked if i knew why........ idiot. but shifting probs are usually cheap to fix (relatively speaking).

skiba

Yah Mon
Sep 24, 2001
ive killed 2 frames and a stratos ss6 and so many wheels i cant even count

red

Chimp
Oct 5, 2001
connecticut
i have a superstar 6 and i do drops up to 9 feet high,is this fork breaking in half an isolated incident or do i have to worry about this happening to me some day ?????

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
not so isolated im afraid

right behind me is an mx6 with basically the same symptoms as that ss6,

p.mono, you can add that one to the list too.

stratos are real sensitive to overtorquing it seems.........

v

red

Chimp
Oct 5, 2001
connecticut
oh boy,I was hoping skiba came up short on like a 60 foot set of doubles and he weighed about 320lbs. :rolleyes: I guess I better keep a close eye on my stanchions because i'm definitely not one of the smoothest riders out there:wink:

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
dont worry that much i can see now that the stanchions here got damaged by overtightening, as long as you torque them just so that the clamp ends are parallel, you should be ok.
prob with stratos is that you can crimp the stanchion before the clamp starts clamping against itself

maybe "somebody" can shed some more informed light on that issue though.

v

Originally posted by Nobody
didn't use the infamous stanchions that the mx6 and fr4 did. The original SS6's were 7075 T6 and the incidence of bending or breaking was very rare (but at least one of everything in the world has broken - just look at the Challenger!)

MX6's and FR4's used (for a while) 6061 stanchions.

Any of the newer stanchions, non-black, are 7075.
Thats why my MX6 died in action by hiting a huge rock, now im using S7 I hope that is not gona happen with this one

red

Chimp
Oct 5, 2001
connecticut
even though my fork has black stanchions it should be ok because it's a superstar6 and not a mx6 ??? I'm gonna try and add a picture(hope it works). Also nobody,remember a couple weeks ago I asked you about the clunking noise I was hearing when the fork reversed from compression to rebound? we'll I adjusted the rebound so it come's up a little faster and the noise went away.I did have it set pretty slow because I like it that way for the bigger drops(less bucking).Also have you ever tried using 5wt fork oil in the stratos forks? thanks guys for all the help.
red

Attachments

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Originally posted by PApa MoNo

Thats why my MX6 died in action by hiting a huge rock, now im using S7 I hope that is not gona happen with this one

huge rock my a**
it wasnt huge
it just was in the middle of the way,

silly rock just didnt want to move, eh?

v