Quantcast

I don't know what happened to the stupid olympic events thread....

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Even dumber is that someone would dope...

* July 2001: Women runners Liquing Song and Lili Yin, who trained under Ma Junren, banned for two years after testing positive for testosterone the previous year. Male race walker Yunfeng Lui also banned for two years.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
just as an FYI, the only thread deletions over the past week or so were deleted by the thread starter.

Anyway, I don't know how speedwalkers do that without dislocating their knees.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Remember Bill Nye on "Almost Live!"?

He played "Speed Walker" (super hero who fights crime while adhering to the standards of competitive speed-walking). I wish I could find a picture, that was awesome.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i deleted it because there was too much baawing about horsies.

danger or threat of injury do not make a sport. otherwise we'd see parachuteless skydiving through a war zone into a beach that was just chummed for sharks while a high-speed boat race was going on. I don't see the point of competing on trained animals either, since I believe the olympics are about athletes and not trained animals. what's to separate people from bringing machines in? what's the difference between a highly trained horse and a highly tuned automobile? Perhaps if everybody competed on the same horse, then I'd say you have a point, but it just doesn't seem reasonable to have so much based on the horses performance vs. the riders. It's the ATHLETES that make the sport, not the means. This is why swimming has gotten such a bad wrap and the same for the guy with no legs in running- they have performance enhancing gear that puts them above what a normal person can do (read new-age speedsuits and carbon fiber "feet"). The speedsuits aren't the problem, the problem is that certain competitors don't have access to them, or can't afford them. The same is true for the horse.

I'm not denying that equestrian is challenging or competitive or requires skill and grace or anything like that...just that it doesn't belong in a competition where the focus should be on the individual or team of athletes.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
i deleted it because there was too much baawing about horsies.

danger or threat of injury do not make a sport. otherwise we'd see parachuteless skydiving through a war zone into a beach that was just chummed for sharks while a high-speed boat race was going on. I don't see the point of competing on trained animals either, since I believe the olympics are about athletes and not trained animals. what's to separate people from bringing machines in? what's the difference between a highly trained horse and a highly tuned automobile? Perhaps if everybody competed on the same horse, then I'd say you have a point, but it just doesn't seem reasonable to have so much based on the horses performance vs. the riders. It's the ATHLETES that make the sport, not the means. This is why swimming has gotten such a bad wrap and the same for the guy with no legs in running- they have performance enhancing gear that puts them above what a normal person can do (read new-age speedsuits and carbon fiber "feet"). The speedsuits aren't the problem, the problem is that certain competitors don't have access to them, or can't afford them. The same is true for the horse.

I'm not denying that equestrian is challenging or competitive or requires skill and grace or anything like that...just that it doesn't belong in a competition where the focus should be on the individual or team of athletes.
Then cycling should go by the wayside as an Olympic sport.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
perhaps, but I do know that 1) there are several rules in place in events like the TDF that prevent significant technological improvements, outside of time trials, to bikes and riders; and 2) even the nicest bike costs significantly less than a decent competitive horse.

As for TT and velodrome (read the GT of the 96 olympics) I can't really comment...the technology in that bike could have put the US at an unfair advantage...but if I remember correctly, it didn't help.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction

It may be sooner than you think...

Cycling out of Olympics?

Will the World Anti-Doping Agency ask that the International Olympic Committee throw cycling out of its Olympic Games? World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) chief John Fahey stated his organisation might recommend that cycling and weightlifting be excluded because of doping problems.

"Some sports such as weightlifting have a pretty bad record and that is demonstrated time and again with numerous athletes from that sport," Fahey told the Associated Press. "I think weightlifting understands, as cycling understands, that there is a huge risk for both those sports if the cheating is continued and continued to be exposed."

He added, "There is no sport that anybody can suggest is doping free. But there are some sports that have had a history, and I would suggest there's a level or a culture [of doping] that has developed in some of those sports."

The WADA is observing the Olympics to see whether each sport is complying with its regulations. It will issue its recommendations in November and will be forward to the International Olympic Committee, which has the right to exclude a sport that is not in compliance. (SW)

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2008/aug08/aug11news2

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Yep. Goddamn, what a stupid idea.

Every sport with a judge needs to be dumped.
I really agree with that now that they are giving most judges the instant replay and high speed cam replay functions. Which is crap. It takes over 5 min for the gymnast to get their scores. Which makes judges look bad the gymnast look bad and makes for horrible TV.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
It may be sooner than you think...

Cycling out of Olympics?

Will the World Anti-Doping Agency ask that the International Olympic Committee throw cycling out of its Olympic Games? World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) chief John Fahey stated his organisation might recommend that cycling and weightlifting be excluded because of doping problems.

"Some sports such as weightlifting have a pretty bad record and that is demonstrated time and again with numerous athletes from that sport," Fahey told the Associated Press. "I think weightlifting understands, as cycling understands, that there is a huge risk for both those sports if the cheating is continued and continued to be exposed."

He added, "There is no sport that anybody can suggest is doping free. But there are some sports that have had a history, and I would suggest there's a level or a culture [of doping] that has developed in some of those sports."

The WADA is observing the Olympics to see whether each sport is complying with its regulations. It will issue its recommendations in November and will be forward to the International Olympic Committee, which has the right to exclude a sport that is not in compliance. (SW)

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2008/aug08/aug11news2
blah blah blah. from beta blockers for shooters to steroids for sprinters, i bet every sport has its dopers.