Quantcast

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Being back in Reno the opportunity for some really long, nasty, "God I want to shoot myself in the head" before turning another crank sort of rides is around for a couple more weeks before the snow flies.

And I don't get the appeal.

It could be that I am way out of shape.
It could be that I am a better rider going down the hill.

But gosh darn if I don't understand the appeal of the long distance abuse ride.

Can anyone explain this addiction some folk seem to have? 40 mile off road rides with 10,000' total climbs. That's just sick.

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
It`s a sickness ,I have done some good long rides ,probably the hardest yet best DH at te end was Moab Gemini Bridges ,it has the sickest DH at the end ,I did it on my Bullit :banghead::banghead:,but the end was awsome ,I now do some riding not enough I`am a fatty and way out of shape :disgust1::disgust1:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
kenosha pass in the fall might change your mind...

the best part about colorado is the high country in the fall. the winter stuff is bullsh*t.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Riding is fun.
Endorphins are good, real good.
Prevents you from growing up being a fat whiny pussy.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Dirt, I think it is that runner's high type of thing! I know people who run distance and they get all fvcked up if they can't run for some reason or another. I think it is an addiction thing.

I like being out for long periods, but I usually bonk real hard! I can't eat while riding cause it upsets me tummy! I have tried to eat, but to no avail. I just get sick feeling and then cant ride anyway. I have to fuel up before the ride and hope I have enough in the tank to carry me through.

We have some nice riding in our area, but much past 25-30 miles and I am toast.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Dirt, I think it is that runner's high type of thing! I know people who run distance and they get all fvcked up if they can't run for some reason or another. I think it is an addiction thing.

I like being out for long periods, but I usually bonk real hard! I can't eat while riding cause it upsets me tummy! I have tried to eat, but to no avail. I just get sick feeling and then cant ride anyway. I have to fuel up before the ride and hope I have enough in the tank to carry me through.

Try eating at the end of a nice break. When riding your body directs blood flow to your muscles and not your stomach. After a bit of a break the bloodflow returns and shouldn't upset you as much. Mushy foods like bananas make it easier too.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
I can't eat while riding cause it upsets me tummy! I have tried to eat, but to no avail. I just get sick feeling and then cant ride anyway. I have to fuel up before the ride and hope I have enough in the tank to carry me through.
Have you tried Gu packs? I find those things work wonders on rides longer than 2 hours.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Try eating at the end of a nice break. When riding your body directs blood flow to your muscles and not your stomach. After a bit of a break the bloodflow returns and shouldn't upset you as much. Mushy foods like bananas make it easier too.
so eat at the end of the break? I have tried different times and there was only one maybe 2 times that I was successfull at eating "food" and not having issues.

I have a friend who eats pork chops, pizza, subs, anything he wants on our rides and never has issues! :biggrin:

Have you tried Gu packs? I find those things work wonders on rides longer than 2 hours.
Yes, but I kinda think they are "false energy" they work for a short time maybe 20 or 30 more minutes tops and then it seems the bonk is even more harsh!

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I love riding my bike and the more time I can spend actually riding, the better. Some of our most fun rides are 8 hours base training rides

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Tomorrow I will either go to work, or if the weather is good, I will toss off a century ride on my cross bike.

I don't even want to ride if it is going to be less then 50 miles road or 30 miles trail anymore.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
so eat at the end of the break? I have tried different times and there was only one maybe 2 times that I was successfull at eating "food" and not having issues.

I have a friend who eats pork chops, pizza, subs, anything he wants on our rides and never has issues! :biggrin:

Yes, but I kinda think they are "false energy" they work for a short time maybe 20 or 30 more minutes tops and then it seems the bonk is even more harsh!
Gels are good but once you get to the point when you need them you do have to take a hit every 30 minutes or so. I like Hammer Gel in a flask, don't have to deal with those sticky little packets. I only use gels on really long rides. I have no problems eating until I hit the 4 hour mark.

Another good trick is just carrying one of those ensure shakes. Drinking a little bit at a time over a few hours keeps the energy up with no gastrointestinal repercussions.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction

I can't eat or drink anything(except water) in the summer on mountain bike rides so it really limits my riding(the local trail is pretty much just doing hill repeats), but I have found I can stomach gatorade(orange or red only) mixed at half strength for the not summer season. Keeps your sugar up and adds a few salts. I have found that I can munch fruit snacks(sunkist) without problems anytime. I also managed some clif bloks in the heat.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I don't think it can be explained to someone, you either like them or you don't, I can't explain it to make you like it.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
What's not to love about spending a better part of the day on an XC ride?
Good long time out on the trails, scenery, you give to the gravity gods and they give it back. No mystery about it whatsoever.
Riding is fun.
Endorphins are good, real good.
Prevents you from growing up being a fat whiny pussy.
What they said. Plus, the longer & harder the ride, the better the beers taste afterward!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I like the long XC stuff just because its that, long. DH is over in minutes, a 17mi loop will keep you busy for a while. Go hammer out some miles pvssy!

Hunter

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
The Right coast
Long rides only suck if you're not in good shape or your ass is getting rubbed raw :plthumbsdown:

I really enjoy a full day XC ride, but generally that means something less than 30 miles for me. Full day rides with a hammer-fest group are not enjoyable. I want to be out in the woods enjoying time on my bike...not wishing I was faster, my bike was lighter, etc. If I'm riding great trails with good friends, I don't want to get off my bike for a long time.

I like being able to have this dialogue:
Dude - "What trails did you ride today?"
Me - "All of them."

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Long rides are great.
I love to push myself, to see how far I can go.
DH is great, shuttles are fun, but if there is a way to tack on extra riding, to make it epic...I'm all about it!
I guess you have to be in a certain mindset though.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
What pretty much everyone said...long rides kick ass. Taking off for hours with nothing but trails, getting deep in the woods, pushing yourself, getting that endorphin rush, finding the rhythm and flow to the point it's effortless - man I live for that stuff. And you get killer descents and rolling sections you would not otherwise.

Over time I've learned that frequent, smaller doses of easily digested food coupled with diluted sports drink work best for me. Basically a slow, fairly constant drip of energy replacement.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I've done a couple 35+ mile rides on the xc bike since getting back, and I think the biggest issue with it for me is the bonk. I have the same issue of throwing in food causes me to want to blow my lunch all over the trail side. Anything past that bonk point and bad things start to happen.

Same deal with me and running. I can run six miles with a break here and there. But if I try to go past, the world starts going black in a hurry.

So if I wanted to enjoy this festival of pain more, is there a way to get my body to deal with eating during a ride/run?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Eat before you're hungry. Drink before you're thirsty. If you wait, you'll end up eating and drinking too much for your body to process while it's otherwise occupied, which leads to blowing chunks and generally feeling like ass. And, pace yourself by taking it down a notch or two so you have something in the tank for the latter part of the ride.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
My new favorite place to ride is a very rugged section of the Pisgah National Forrest. It's big bike type terrain.

We set up a shuttle to do one " run " . Added to the stellar DH there is some climbing involved. One climb is over four miles long. It can take more than four hours to finish the run.

I love riding DH and I like to pedal. I ride a 40 pound SX-Trail with a dual crown fork. It's the only bike I ride. I may not be able to cover as much ground as someone on a XC bike, but I don't let it stop me from riding.

The point is that riding XC, i.e. climbing not walking, on a big bike will make you a hell of a lot stronger.

To me, anyone who has a cross country bike and whines about riding long distances can shut the hell up.

Mmm-kay, thanx.

I've done a couple 35+ mile rides on the xc bike since getting back, and I think the biggest issue with it for me is the bonk. I have the same issue of throwing in food causes me to want to blow my lunch all over the trail side. Anything past that bonk point and bad things start to happen.

Same deal with me and running. I can run six miles with a break here and there. But if I try to go past, the world starts going black in a hurry.

So if I wanted to enjoy this festival of pain more, is there a way to get my body to deal with eating during a ride/run?
Eat a little bit often. Too much food will do your stomach in - the thumbnail calculation is that you can handle 250 cal/hr or something like that. Pace your riding - pump along slow, few or no sprints, don't try to be a hero.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
or if your like BadDNA you pull out the flask of scotch. how one can do that while riding Kingdom Trails baffles me. :disgust1: :banghead:

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
or if your like BadDNA you pull out the flask of scotch. how one can do that while riding Kingdom Trails baffles me. :disgust1: :banghead:
This isn't the worst idea I've heard in a long time.

New plan, flasks and power bars.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
I don't do many of them on the mtb, but when riding on the road, it isn't uncommon for me to riding for well over 5 hours. There are times that I will put in alot of saddle time on the mtb in one go, with those, the longer, the better.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
See, I don't mind doing 50 or 60 mile grinds all day on the road bike. I also find that sort of riding to be a lot less challenging, so maybe its just an energy/fat ass issue.