Quantcast

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I can do sixty miles in about 3.5 hours with the wife, just having fun with it. Never tried to see what my all time best would be, just doesn't hold an appeal.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I've always been into XC and stuff, but I have to say that I enjoyed it more when I dropped a bit of weight and got more fit. Then I wasn't just surviving each climb until the next downhill- the climbs themselves became kind of fun. I also just love the feeling of sitting back after a super long and exhausting day. When I go backpacking and hiking I often push bigger miles; no real reason- just because you get to see more in a day and it feels nice when it's done.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Taking it back to the bonk factor, alot of good info here, little bit often, gels ETC. But something to remember.....Protein, you gotta feed those muscles. I like hammer products myself. Seems they have a good mix of carbs and protein to keep you rolling.

But on another note, you dont need to have alot of fancy product, its nice, but not needed. Something I have always liked to take with me for energy, Bit o Honeys, Snickers with almonds, stuff like that.

Dont be a hero, dont ver push, east often, drink often. And most of all prepare, eat well night before, have a proper breakfast, and take the proper food for the ride your about to go on.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Trail mix (with lots of nuts) is bueno for me while riding. Chocolate/nuts and then coffee beforehand and I'm good to go. Never really tried any drink mixes or the like. I eat clifs and powerbars when I get them, but I'm poor, so I go for the cheap stuff (see above).

Gels are good for racing, but like someone else said, once you hit one you have to keep hitting them.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
As far as bonks go, you just have to recognize it and start slowly pushing past the limit.

I had a similar problem, I was bike commuting about 20 miles. Got to the point I was fast as all getout for 20 miles, but anything over 25 I'd bonk. It took quite a few training rides, with lots of GU before I started breaking the 25 mile bonk barrier. eventually I didn't need the GU anymore and could do 4-6 hour rides without any problem. I eventually did the 109 mile tour de Tucson.

And there is nothing better at the end of a ride than a full size Monster energy drink. :^). Then you hit the beer.....

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Ah screw it, forget all the healthy advise.

Start packin beer and fried chicken with you for those long rides.

Remember, canned beer weighs less than bottled.

Now that I think about it, Shimano should team up with Camelbak to make a mini Co2 draft beer dispenser. Who cares about air shifting when you can have mini keg on your back.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Now that I think about it, Shimano should team up with Camelbak to make a mini Co2 draft beer dispenser. Who cares about air shifting when you can have mini keg on your back.
How would you want to keep it cold though?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I could think of a couple ways to cool the beer in a pack. You could just float it in ice, you could use the Co2 to cool it through a tube as it came out<Might find foaming issues there though>

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I was thinking more along the lines of some new technology.

If 661 can make a knee pad that is soft until hit, then surely Camelbak could focus a little energy on a keg-bak.

Last edited:

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
If you strapped beer to my back and told me if I kept riding I'd get more, I'd ride to Oz and back. I think this is the solution to all of my problems. It has sugars and calories, it sort of hydrates me, and if I feel the need to have gatoraid I can get one of those strawberry or peach beers.

In winter months I can justify drinking stouts on the bike.
In the spring and summer I can have a cold and cheery pilsner or hopped ale...

This is the best idea ever.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
If you strapped beer to my back and told me if I kept riding I'd get more, I'd ride to Oz and back. I think this is the solution to all of my problems. It has sugars and calories, it sort of hydrates me, and if I feel the need to have gatoraid I can get one of those strawberry or peach beers.

In winter months I can justify drinking stouts on the bike.
In the spring and summer I can have a cold and cheery pilsner or hopped ale...

This is the best idea ever.
Out here we have races based on this knowledge. :D

http://ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211095