Quantcast

I don't understand bad pizza??

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I Are Baboon said:
My goal every day is to get in and get out of Springfield as quickly as humanly possible. :D No, I have not been to Frankie and Johnnies. I have been to like three restaurants in the three years I've been working here. :p
i grew up eating pizza from the pizza pub (rt 20 in wilbraham). still nostalgic for that stuff, it was good.

for a chain, i really dig bertucci's. their sporkie (sausage and ricotta) is a great pizza, and the marengo (chicken sauteed w/ garlic in wine, and roasted peppers) is really good too. the secret is a great crust. they make really good dough, imo.

i had a Geno's East pie in chicago a long time ago, that was good for deepdish, but i'm a thin crust kinda guy.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
narlus said:
for a chain, i really dig bertucci's. their sporkie (sausage and ricotta) is a great pizza, and the marengo (chicken sauteed w/ garlic in wine, and roasted peppers) is really good too. the secret is a great crust. they make really good dough, imo.
I have a personal boycott againt Bertucci's because they have given MBC and I food poisoning three times (three different locations). Twice it was from pizza, once from chicken salad. :( The food tasted good, but spending a day and a half on the crapper isn't fun.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
jdcamb said:
I got a free coupon for some Dominoes pizza. I hate saying this but that crap isn't even worth the free coupon. Man that was some bad **** :dead: We are lucky here to have even good chain pizza joints. The Mom & Pop joints are fantastic. We have good pizza here. Some of the best in the country. No excuses for eating that Dominoes crap. How do they stay in business? .....jdcamb

Now what in tarnation would possess you to go and do something like get a Domino's pizza (even if it's free) over all these other pizza joints you're talking about? You deserve one of these :nuts:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
dh girlie said:
Now what in tarnation would possess you to go and do something like get a Domino's pizza (even if it's free) over all these other pizza joints you're talking about? You deserve one of these :nuts:
I believe me I am being punished today. I feel like crap......

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I Are Baboon said:
I have a personal boycott againt Bertucci's because they have given MBC and I food poisoning three times (three different locations). Twice it was from pizza, once from chicken salad. :( The food tasted good, but spending a day and a half on the crapper isn't fun.
well that's a valid excuse. food poisoning sucks. the first time i got it was after eating seared chicken livers. they tasted good (cruncy outside, creamy inside), but in 4-5 hours i was vomiting so hard i thought i ruptured both ear drums. seriously, they hurt so much i couldn't sleep on either ear.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I like pizza but not giant chain pizza like dominos. it's crap.

I like a thin NY style pie and I like a thicker crust pie. both are tastey.

I like making my own pizza the most though. fresh, home made crust, cooked on a grill outside, good quality cheese and fresh basil. so tasty.

as mentioned, why eat the crappy chain store pizza's when there are so many smaller places cooking up a good pie?

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
narlus said:
well that's a valid excuse. food poisoning sucks. the first time i got it was after eating seared chicken livers. they tasted good (cruncy outside, creamy inside), but in 4-5 hours i was vomiting so hard i thought i ruptured both ear drums. seriously, they hurt so much i couldn't sleep on either ear.
oh my god...I just almost puked when I read this: seared chicken livers. they tasted good (cruncy outside, creamy inside)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
dh girlie said:
oh my god...I just almost puked when I read this: seared chicken livers. they tasted good (cruncy outside, creamy inside)
you and laura must be DYING for a plate of 'em.

seriously, they were good! but i'll never eat them again. now haggis otoh.... :dancing:

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
dh girlie said:

:D the mom and pop store that was across the street from our old house sold those. and other weird foods.... we would go in for the last beer run at 1:59 (cut off is 2:00) and Mr. Brown, the owner, would sell us whatever was left in the warm food case for a few bucks.
it usually had a sausage, a few corn dogs (probably from 14 hours ago at lunch time) and always a bunch of gizzards and liver chunks.

we would always be so stoked to eat that stuff. nasty, chewy, old food dipped in Franks red hot sauce. :oink:

there is no way we would buy them in the day though......(when they were fresh and we were sober):D

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
pnj said:
:D the mom and pop store that was across the street from our old house sold those. and other weird foods.... we would go in for the last beer run at 1:59 (cut off is 2:00) and Mr. Brown, the owner, would sell us whatever was left in the warm food case for a few bucks.
it usually had a sausage, a few corn dogs (probably from 14 hours ago at lunch time) and always a bunch of gizzards and liver chunks.

we would always be so stoked to eat that stuff. nasty, chewy, old food dipped in Franks red hot sauce. :oink:

there is no way we would buy them in the day though......(when they were fresh and we were sober):D

Sounds so f'n vile...you guys are really going to make me puke...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
dh girlie said:
Sounds so f'n vile...you guys are really going to make me puke...
i'm sure there are things you've stuck in yr mouth and liquids you've ingested that would gross us out too. :devil: :sneaky:

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
jdcamb said:
Haven't had one in a year. I am going to be in Brooklyn in 4 weeks though. I will get one then.....
For another good Brooklyn pie, try Sam's in Cobble Hill. Also great.

Now I need pizza tonight!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
jdcamb said:
I got a free coupon for some Dominoes pizza. I hate saying this but that crap isn't even worth the free coupon. Man that was some bad **** :dead: We are lucky here to have even good chain pizza joints. The Mom & Pop joints are fantastic. We have good pizza here. Some of the best in the country. No excuses for eating that Dominoes crap. How do they stay in business? .....jdcamb
Because people in general are tolerant of crap food in the States.

-S.S.-

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
SkaredShtles said:
I think you really need to go to Italia to "know" good pizza........ :p

-S.S.-
I thought the pizza in Italy sucked (had it in Naples which is a armpit). It was burnt, greasy, and well not very good. It was like bread with cheese and oil on it. Kind of lame......

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i good pizza in berlin, but then again for some strange reason all the italian food i had in berlin was better than the meals i had in florence. :confused:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
jdcamb said:
I thought the pizza in Italy sucked (had it in Naples which is a armpit). It was burnt, greasy, and well not very good. It was like bread with cheese and oil on it. Kind of lame......
Hmmmm........ the stuff we got in Rome was quite nice. Maybe pizza in Italy is like it is in the states. :think:

-S.S.-

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
SkaredShtles said:
Hmmmm........ the stuff we got in Rome was quite nice. Maybe pizza in Italy is like it is in the states. :think:

-S.S.-
rome had the best food, and siena a close second. we ate three meals in florence, and they were ok, but not WOW good. like i expected. but seriously, the italian food i had in berlin was excellent!

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
narlus said:
rome had the best food, and siena a close second. we ate three meals in florence, and they were ok, but not WOW good. like i expected. but seriously, the italian food i had in berlin was excellent!
I had good meals in Florence but in the market. I guess you could call it street food Italian style. We had awesome food in Rome but it was $$. Milan was pretty good too. The women in Milan were so beautiful I was distracted. But Verona had the best food in Italy period. Plus it was the friendliest place. I had pretty good Italian food in London....go figure.....jdcamb

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i think you can get good food of any sort in London. we had a fantastic italian meal (i can still taste the rabbit....mmmmm....pancetta and herbs w/ roasted peppers, rolled up) but it was pretty outrageously expensive.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
narlus said:
Best meal I've ever had, bar none, was in Sarzana. We had some friends that lived there, so they clued us in.
Also had a fabulous "lunch" meal in Ameglia (I think) :think:
Another great one near Castellina in Chianti, close to the Rocca della Macie vineyard.
Had some wonderful ribollita in Siena.

Also had a pretty bad meal in Rome and a great meal there as well. Terrible meal in Lago di Garda.......

I sure wish I could remember names....... :mumble: Funny thing is, I'm pretty sure I could find all the places again. Just can't remember the names.

-S.S.-

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
jdcamb said:
I had good meals in Florence but in the market. I guess you could call it street food Italian style. We had awesome food in Rome but it was $$. Milan was pretty good too. The women in Milan were so beautiful I was distracted. But Verona had the best food in Italy period. Plus it was the friendliest place. I had pretty good Italian food in London....go figure.....jdcamb
Oh yeah! Verona - great food there..... Mantova too.... :drool:

I hear Parma and Bologna are pretty fabulous as well.

And

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
narlus said:
i think you can get good food of any sort in London. we had a fantastic italian meal (i can still taste the rabbit....mmmmm....pancetta and herbs w/ roasted peppers, rolled up) but it was pretty outrageously expensive.
Yeah - we had a great Italian meal in a little joint right near Paddington Station....... we were surprised, in a good way. :D

-S.S.-

Geoff G.

Monkey
Sep 6, 2004
scituate mass
north conway has the best pizza ever. in the summer elvio's is open, and we hit it once a month whit da boy scouts on the way back from backpacking in the whites. they have the best white pizza you will ever taste.

also about a block down the road they have flatbread, which is a little ,more expensive, but it's open all year (so we go in the winter) it's your basic gormet pizza, fancy toppings, and cheeses. and the people who work there mountainbike, and hike, so it's cool to talk to them.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
my wife's sister and family are gonna be living in rome for about 10 months, starting next august, so we're down for a trip back to italia...can't wait!

greenreese

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Echo said:
Well, it may taste good, but in my opinion it isn't pizza.
Maybe not, but it is good.

We ordered pizza a while back from Bertucchi's and they gave us the wrong one. We got bacon and scallop by accident. Since then that is the only thing we order. Might just be my new favorite.
I have never had pizza in NY, but the next time I am there I will make sure to try a few places out.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
narlus said:
you and laura must be DYING for a plate of 'em.

seriously, they were good! but i'll never eat them again. now haggis otoh.... :dancing:

too high in cholestreral for me. i'll pass.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Geoff G. said:
north conway has the best pizza ever. in the summer elvio's is open, and we hit it once a month whit da boy scouts on the way back from backpacking in the whites. they have the best white pizza you will ever taste.

also about a block down the road they have flatbread, which is a little ,more expensive, but it's open all year (so we go in the winter) it's your basic gormet pizza, fancy toppings, and cheeses. and the people who work there mountainbike, and hike, so it's cool to talk to them.

ok first, north conway is a worse town that all of new jersey combined, and second their pizza sucks cus i go there every year for ski racing, or at least used to...

and by deffinition white pizza isnt pizza, its bread and cheese. ;)

Geoff G.

Monkey
Sep 6, 2004
scituate mass
mack, alright you made your point white pizza is bread.

have you ever been to dondero's rock shop in north conway? the place is so stupid. once we went in, and pretended we were rock enthusists, and wanted to buy a geode, then right as we were about to buy it we ran away.
it's a fun place to run around, and scare people too.