Quantcast

I drive a Toyota Prius!

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
So I have Prius loaner car for the day. So many fancy lights and displays and buttons to push. It's hypnotising...

But all in all, not too shabby. If it's good enough for Larry David after all....

I'm wondering if I'll even need to fill it up in order to bring it back full.

I feel so green.

J

JRB

Maybe you and macko should put on acid washed pleated jeans and dry hump one another.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
DRB said:
You left a word out there chopper.
I'm no back door man...

Back to the car. It is really more of a 'driving apparatus' than a car though. It took me 5 minutes to figure out how to get the damn key/chip/card/fob out of the dash!

Parked the car, switched it to P. Easy.
Hit the P button to presumably put on a parking brake of some kind. Easy.
Proceeded to attempt to yank the key thingy out of the dash and it didn't budge. 'Hmm, lemme see here...' Looked for the little switch that a lot of cars have to release the key. Nothin. Looked for a button the the key/chip/fob thing. Nothing. 'What the fack?!'

Finally, saw the giant POWER button on the dash (the 'car' was already running when the gave it to me). That did the trick.

But frig! Shouldn't there be a light on the power switch like they have on VCRs and the like? They have a beeper in the damn 'car' to let you know that your in reverse for cryin out loud. That is a little fruity.

J

JRB

MMike said:
That "hippie" actually clubs baby seals for a living......
Bad ass - a hippiecrit.

Speaking of hippies, where the hell is skaredsh*thead???

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I wish I had a Prius. Sweet car, great for road trips. Hopefully they'll make a small pick up truck version, something without 4 doors and hella seats.

Suposedly Sanjay made it from LA to Durango and back on 3 tanks of gas. Three! That's cheeper than the speeding ticket alone that we got on the same voyage.

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
Hell yeah I drive a Prius (for road trips, and when it's raining and can't ride the motorcycle). I did infact make it to Durango and back which was around 2000 miles and only had to fill up 3 times, the first being in Flagstaff, AZ where gas is way cheaper. It's kind of hard to seem from this picture, but it has been getting 47.2 mpg over the last 2322 miles and it has almost 68,000 mikes on it. You'd be surprised how much stuff this thing can hold. I did a road trip from OC-Mammoth-Northstar-Idaho-Snowmass-OC with 3 people and 3 bikes and a lot of gear, and we have the smaller 1st generation Prius. With the electric motor the thing is super torquie and would go up the road to Big Bear easily.

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
just so everyone knows, sanjays (metal) prius is perrywinkle (light purple) and that the only gay thing about the prius, I was one of the 3 in the road trip and I hit 100mph with all those bikes, gear, and ppl!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Kopiklokoli said:
I drive a prius. You can call us pretty much whatever, but you're just butthurt because you're paying 5 times what we pay as far as gas.
Bingo.

I honestly didn't know you could fit that much in them, they look mighty small from the outside.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Transcend said:
Bingo.

I honestly didn't know you could fit that much in them, they look mighty small from the outside.

My friend has one, they actually have quite a bit of space in them.

If I could blow an extra 20k on a spare car, I'd get one for sho! my Pathfinder gets like 14mpg :eek:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Not an April fools joke - study finds hybrids consume more natural resources than regular cars. Most environmentally friendly car of 2005 - Toyota xB. Worst, Maybach.

It seems hybrids will only save you money at the gas pump - you'll pay more for them in sticker price and overall resources consumed...

Always wonder about those big batteries, electrical motors, capacitors, etc when the vehicle goes to the junk heap plus all those parts have to waste energy coming over from Asia to get here - there are only a few suppliers right now that make the components in most hybrid vehicles.

Quick, someone in California make some fake parking tickets to give those smug Sierra Club members who are ruining the environment even worse than the SUV owners they've ticketed in the past :D

Article (FYI, research group is funded by auto industry, not oil industry)

The most Energy Expensive vehicle sold in the U.S. in calendar year 2005: Maybach at $11.58 per mile. The least expensive: Scion xB at $0.48 cents.

While neither of those figures is surprising, it is interesting that driving a hybrid vehicle costs more in terms of overall energy consumed than comparable non-hybrid vehicles.

For example, the Honda Accord Hybrid has an Energy Cost per Mile of $3.29 while the conventional Honda Accord is $2.18. Put simply, over the "Dust to Dust" lifetime of the Accord Hybrid, it will require about 50 percent more energy than the non-hybrid version.
I've seen another study (entirely independent from the auto industry) which says the most environmentally responsible thing to do is keep/buy a used car and keep fixing it versus buying a new cleaner one they have waste all new resources to build...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
syadasti said:
<snip>
I've seen another study which says the most environmentally responsible thing to do is keep/buy a used car and keep fixing it versus buying a new cleaner one they have waste all new resources to build...
That seems like common sense to us cheap bahstids. :D

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
SkaredShtles said:
That seems like common sense to us cheap bahstids. :D
And the extra 10 years of crap your badly tuned piece of junk spews out was very likely left out of the research.

Seriously, 48mpg vs like 10. That's a ton of crap not being thrown into the air. Driving an old car simply isn't an option for many who need extremely reliable vehicles, nor do people want to drive old cars. Even if they did, the manufacturers would not cut down on production unless sales fell dramatically, which isn't going to happen either. SO the point is moot.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
Kopiklokoli said:
I drive a prius. You can call us pretty much whatever, but you're just butthurt because you're paying 5 times what we pay as far as gas.
I'm not "butthurt" because I might be paying five times what someone in a Prius is paying.

I gladly pay more for gas since it means more fun, more utility, etc. for me.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Here is a better answer to the question from The Guardian. Its complex and depends on factors like how you use the car and long you keep the car. There are few studies on the matter of total environmental impact of cars throughout their lifecycle, raw material extraction to product disposal.

Kopiklokoli

Monkey
Jul 31, 2004
Nor Cal, of course
justsomeguy said:
I'm not "butthurt" because I might be paying five times what someone in a Prius is paying.

I gladly pay more for gas since it means more fun, more utility, etc. for me.
I put less than $400 in gas a year in the prius, I don't know what kind of car you drive/ how much you drive, but I can safely assume that the money I save could buy me an expensive bike.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
Kopiklokoli said:
I put less than $400 in gas a year in the prius, I don't know what kind of car you drive/ how much you drive, but I can safely assume that the money I save could buy me an expensive bike.
Good for you.

Assuming that people are "butt hurt" because you pay less than they do for gas is really silly.