Quantcast

I drive a Toyota Prius!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
justsomeguy said:
Good for you.

Assuming that people are "butt hurt" because you pay less than they do for gas is really silly.
You could out "butt hurt" him by spending the premium you'd need for a hybrid/new car on making your house more green with energy efficient home improvements :cool: :rofl:

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Kopiklokoli said:
I put less than $400 in gas a year in the prius, I don't know what kind of car you drive/ how much you drive, but I can safely assume that the money I save could buy me an expensive bike.
I could take the premium you paid to wait in line and to buy a car marketed as an environmental savior so you could impress your friends and buy a pretty nice bike too... without having to wait the ~9 years to recoup the extra cost of the special car thru a miniscule savings in gas expense. Make sure and post something about how awesome you are for saving money on gas after you buy your first replacement battery pack.

"Butthurt"? Is that some kind of "Brokeback Mountain" reference?

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
SkaredShtles said:
It'll take much less time to recoup when gas is $7.50/gallon. :p
Perhaps. That's the damn thing about that car, if you drive a lot of freeway cycles, your savings is pretty close to nil. Just think what kind of freeway mileage you could get with that thing if you weren't hauling around a few hundred pounds of batteries.

Gas is already ~$10 usd per gallon in Norway...I suppose one could live there for a few years to make up the difference faster if that really is what life's all about.....the beer prices would kill your savings though.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Qman said:
<snip>

Gas is already ~$10 usd per gallon in Norway...I suppose one could live there for a few years to make up the difference faster if that really is what life's all about.....the beer prices would kill your savings though.
The *everything* prices would kill your savings.

But it is Norway after all. :drool:

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
SkaredShtles said:
The *everything* prices would kill your savings.

But it is Norway after all. :drool:
I've been hearing a lot lately that alcohol is prohibited in Norway. While I'm not sure if that's true, I've met some gorgeous girls from Norway down here to partay. Most of their parents' imigrated to Norway because the salaries are so high there. This means that a lot of the Norweigen girls are Asian or originally from eastern Europe. :thumb:

Kopiklokoli

Monkey
Jul 31, 2004
Nor Cal, of course
"Butthurt"? Is that some kind of "Brokeback Mountain" reference?[/QUOTE]

I was hanging out with a bunch of people the other night, one of which was "The Kadvang" and he used it, so yeah probably.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
bikenweed said:
I've been hearing a lot lately that alcohol is prohibited in Norway. While I'm not sure if that's true, I've met some gorgeous girls from Norway down here to partay. Most of their parents' imigrated to Norway because the salaries are so high there. This means that a lot of the Norweigen girls are Asian or originally from eastern Europe. :thumb:
That may or may not be true about the alcohol ban....I doubt it but wouldn't be surprised.
They tax their liquor based on alcohol content. So the brewpub we went to was charging us $30 a pitcher for the ambers, pilsners, lagers etc and $50 for the stout.
Thanks to Uncle Pete for picking up the tab for that night though. I think they gave us 50% off our food or something. That bill was waaaay lower than it should have been.
Because of this tax, homebrewing is BIG in Norway.

As for the women, I don't know what you're talking about. All I saw was blue eyed ones with blonde hair. In Trondheim and Stavanger anyway....

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Qman said:
They tax their liquor based on alcohol content. So the brewpub we went to was charging us $30 a pitcher for the ambers, pilsners, lagers etc and $50 for the stout.
Thanks to Uncle Pete for picking up the tab for that night though.
Bloody hell!!!!! Hope it was good beer. Good old Uncle Pete I guess. I see that Oslo has overtaken Tokyo as the world's most expensive city. Easy to see why.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
I may have found what you're talking about. I was looking around for more info on the Trondheim brewery and found this: http://beerblog.motime.com/
Talks about the lunchtime beer ban in Denmark. The horror!....

It has some good info. There's an entry about Nogne's two new beers. I'm told that Nogne is the best beer in Norway. The 1 liter bottles were about $9 usd each. The beer was good (both the nogne and at the brew pub) I don't remember thinking it was stellar but we were riding hard many days in a row so it tasted great every time.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I haven't read any of the research, but it obviously would depend on the length of time your willing to keep the car to see if you could justify the higher initial cost of the vehicle. 9+ years sounds like a really long time.

The cost of repairing the electronic guts is probably pretty steep. I doubt that the technology is at a point where it is a wise purchase to make, but I'm fully behind all those who are willing to be an 'early adopter' so that the rest of us will reap the benefits of a better product developed later on.

Touch screens are fun! But quite a distraction while the novelty is still there...

And the thing did get a lot of looks from other motorists. I wonder what they were all thinking...

crono35

Monkey
Feb 11, 2002
irvine
syadasti said:
I've seen another study (entirely independent from the auto industry) which says the most environmentally responsible thing to do is keep/buy a used car and keep fixing it versus buying a new cleaner one they have waste all new resources to build...
Woot for my '86 MR2! Cost as much to pass smog as to purchase, but hey, 160,000 miles and still 30 MPG.