Quantcast

I f'd up. also known as i like wasting money.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
So I wanted to build a commuter, specifically a drop bar wide tire variety.

So I went and bought a Surly Ogre. Then full 105 11spd. Then I realize this bike takes mtn shit. oh yeah, i bought a mountain bike frame. So I dump the 105 crank/bb. Buy SLX. Cool. 105 FD cant throw to 2X mtn chainline AND the water bottle bosses are in the way of FD. fuck.

Now theres a dilemma. sell everything start from scratch. XT 11SPD, figure out dropbar shifters and brakes. I know SRAM still bakes dedicated brake only levers, run bar end shifters?

or.

say fuck it, run what i have, dump the front derailleur entirely, order a problem solvers front upper chainguide, remove granny gear, space front chainring in a bit so it's essentially a 1X. Then use the upper cable boss to put tension on the FD line so the left trigger essentially acts as only a brake lever. I dont need 2X. 36t front with the 11spd road rear cassette will work just fine as my 10 mile commute is essentially flat and regulated by traffic.

Thoughts on why im such a fucking idiot. I pictured a bike in my head before I thought of the issues and built to that. WRONG.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Cost difference? If substantial, run what you got. Easy enough.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Cost difference? If substantial, run what you got. Easy enough.
We can figure i'll take a bath on the 105. Still come up short on the XT. I'd like to not put anymore money into it if I don't have to but if theres no way to get this set-up to work I might HAVE to.

Im just letting ya'll know, im dumb and hate my wallet.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'd hate the size of the jumps on an 11-40 cassette on the road. I ditched the 11-28 on my road bike because even that was more than I wanted.

Any particular reason you even need to bother tensioning the front shift cable? Just run it as a brake only and be done with it.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
I'd hate the size of the jumps on an 11-40 cassette on the road. I ditched the 11-28 on my road bike because even that was more than I wanted.

Any particular reason you even need to bother tensioning the front shift cable? Just run it as a brake only and be done with it.
11-32 105 rear cassette is what Im running, I totally dont need to tension cable at all. but me trying to further complicate a situation.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
If you really want a left brake lever that doesn't shift, and should match pretty well, you could always use one of these.

I wouldn't bother though.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
We can figure i'll take a bath on the 105. Still come up short on the XT. I'd like to not put anymore money into it if I don't have to but if theres no way to get this set-up to work I might HAVE to.

Im just letting ya'll know, im dumb and hate my wallet.
Total the cost. It's a beater commuter, take the cheapest route.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I don't tell people about how I lowered my like to 100mm to use on my 29er-wheeled fatbike, only to find out the steerer isn't long enough for my large frame.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I don't have anything add but if you are looking for comuter tires I recommend Continental Travel Contact, I have 3000 miles plus on a set and they have held up very well. They can be maxed to 80PSI allowing you to hammer at road bike speeds without concern for RR crossings, rain or gravel. They don't slice easily, I've done 2 700 plus mile tours pulling a loaded yak on shoulders and gravel roads and never had a flat.