Quantcast

I feel dum.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Seriously, I think I've mounted 2 TA wheels on DH bikes in my life. I've been a QR pussy all my days...

It's an 04 Boxxer Race.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
undo all 4 pinch bolts, push in axle, tighten axle bolt.

retighten all 4 pinch bolts (hand tight, they will strip if you force them).

It should take you about 30 secs total to get a boxxer wheel on or off. Make sure your axle is clean and greased. Make sure you hub doesnt have some goofy insert in it that is falling out of line with the axle. If it does, just use your finger on the other side to try and line it up while you push on the axle.

Hope that helps.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
omgomogmogm

I figured it out:

So is there supposed to be a shaft in that goes through the hub the axle goes through? And is this shaft supposed to move around? It was driving me nuts this morning, I thought I just couldn't line up the hub with the dropout-type thingys.

My first DH bikey :love:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
blue said:
omgomogmogm

I figured it out:

So is there supposed to be a shaft in that goes through the hub the axle goes through? And is this shaft supposed to move around? It was driving me nuts this morning, I thought I just couldn't line up the hub with the dropout-type thingys.

My first DH bikey :love:
Like i said:

Make sure you hub doesnt have some goofy insert in it that is falling out of line with the axle. If it does, just use your finger on the other side to try and line it up while you push on the axle.

Some hubs have this, it is stupid.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
the Inbred said:
Manitou's system must be for newbies. i was able to get my wheel mounted to a Jumper with no problems.
My prob wasn't the fork, it was the stupid insert inside the ghetto hub. Oh well, fixed it, rode it, wubbed it. I think I need stiffer springs...

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
blue said:
My prob wasn't the fork, it was the stupid insert inside the ghetto hub. Oh well, fixed it, rode it, wubbed it. I think I need stiffer springs...
yopull soon learn that every through axle fork has its own special way of working. im talking individual forks. like 2 boxxers putting the axle on is basically the same. but each fork requires a special touch to make it easier(like a woman:p )

J

JRB

Do you feel as dumb as you should have when you implied that the NRS was not a horst link??? :D

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
loco said:
Do you feel as dumb as you should have when you implied that the NRS was not a horst link??? :D
Since when was an NRS a horst? Except that horst or no horst, an NRS is still a piece of ****.

I have a horst link. WHAT NOW, BIG GUY!?!?!

:cool:

J

JRB

blue said:
Since when was an NRS a horst? Except that horst or no horst, an NRS is still a piece of ****.

I have a horst link. WHAT NOW, BIG GUY!?!?!

:cool:
I'm glad you got one. Funny thing is though, the Maestro really fixes all of the things that Specialized says that the FSR does. If it were the best thing ever, they wouldn't be redesigning things. You sure looked like you were saying that the NRS wasn't a true horst link in that guys KHS thread. Or whatever bike it was.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
loco said:
I'm glad you got one. Funny thing is though, the Maestro really fixes all of the things that Specialized says that the FSR does. If it were the best thing ever, they wouldn't be redesigning things. You sure looked like you were saying that the NRS wasn't a true horst link in that guys KHS thread. Or whatever bike it was.
Maestro rides like buttah...if I could afford a virtual pivot DH bike, I'd ride one. But an NRS is NOT a Horst...giant is far too cheap to pay Specialized anything :p

Btw: I like Giant more than Specialized, stfu woman.

J

JRB

Note the white on the front of the chainstay. Blowing it up will show the Specialized sticker that mine had. I don't see it on the newer ones.

J

JRB

What is a Horst Link?

The "Horst Link" is a term for a four-bar rear suspension which attaches the rear axle to the seatstay instead of the swingarm. Horst Leitner, the link's namesake, discovered that this design separates braking and pedaling forces from the rear suspension. Instead of chain tension and braking, causing "brake jack" or pedal "kick back", the Horst link allows the wheel to move freely in a vertical path. In fact, the Horst link will cycle up and down with the rear tire locked nearly as well as it will when it is rolling, because the axle is on the seatstay and the seatstay is "decoupled" from the suspension. A Horst link design is often referred to as a "fully active" system, meaning it's free to compress and rebound at all times, both when the rider is in the saddle and standing up. Not only is the suspension independent from chain forces under pedaling loads, but it allows you to maintain an efficient pedal stroke since the suspension action has no effect on it.