Snickryder

Chimp
Jul 23, 2001
Broomfield, CO
Originally posted by nicklin
That's true, but what I'm asking is:

the email contained :

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_login-run

and that IS the log in page of paypal. what gives.
I've had a couple of emails from PayPal come through that are not legit. First thing to do is view the full headers in your email system. If the email is legit the return address and ALL the from addresses will be paypal.com servers. If you see anything different, it's probably a fake. Forward the email to PayPal, or copy the email into one of their online contact forms and ask them if it's legit. There are really good about getting back to you!

The address looks right, so I'm not sure how they did it, unless they have that address shown to you and another address under it that is used. Do a "view source" on your original email and see if there is another address in the code.

Just my 2 cents...

Rick

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
That sucks. I don't trust links anymore. I just got an email joke from a friend, where if I forwarded it to 8 people and hit Alt+8, the punckline would appear. I was like, "Uh no?" Anything that can get into my computer I avoid like the plague. I figured that the joke thing was a way of gathering addresses to spam.

I hope you get you cash back. That blows. Is Paypal liable in the same way that a credit card company is liable? Probably already been asnwered. I'll read the rest of the thread.

Good luck.

Mar 27, 2004
I got that same exact email about a month ago!!! I was planning on coming back to it and following the link to take care of the "problem" but in the meantime wanted to read the rest of my new messages, and accidently clicked delete instead of next. When I was done checking my email I went to paypal.com by entering the URL manually, and saw that my account was fine. I contacted paypals customer support and they notified me that my account was fine and in good standing and gave me no warning of the email being a scam that needed investigation! I never gave it anymore thought. It's so freaky to find out it was a scam and I almost got SCREWED! I cant believe I told paypals customer service that I got an email stating I had problems with my account and their response was to tell me everything was fine without advising me that I had almost been a victim of fraud!!!

Pogo

Chimp
Feb 19, 2004
the jungle
Shortbus said:
Do you come in a 9/16th??
Now that was clever. Hey Mark I am sorry man, thanks for posting though because I have received this same e-mail and might have fallen for it if you had not given out a warning. By the way if your paypal is linked to your checking savings and or creditcard having a small balance in your Paypal account is no guarrenty of security! This is just scary stuff. And your no dummy Mark, you were the victom here. Scumbags are annoying, clever scumbags really piss me off.
PS: I went ahead and changed my password just in case and I intend on doing this again regularly.

Jun 18, 2004
I'm sure you will recieve an email today or shortly about...
"In re PayPal Litigation, Case No. 02 1227 JF PVT, pending in the United States District Court for the Northern District of California in San Jose"...
it sounds like you qualify as a "Long form Clamaint"... a link to the form:

https://ppl.gardencitygroup.com/ppl/fs/longClaim?action=clear

Have you downloaded the eBay toolbar w/Accnt. Gaurd? It's set up to detect 'Spoof' paypal and eBay sites and if you happen upon one you can send paypal a link to it so they can get it shut down... here's the link:

http://pages.ebay.com/ebay_toolbar/download.html

this info should help you out...

~Mike

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
:nope: :think: :mad: :nuts:

-----Original Message-----
From: US Bank - Customer Service [mailto:customers@usbank.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 05, 2004 8:11 AM
To: XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Subject: Fraud Verification Process
Importance: High

Dear U.S. Bank customer,
We recently noticed one or more attempts to login into your U.S. Bank Online Account from a strange I.P. address and we have reasons to believe that the account may have been accessed by an unauthorized third party. Protecting the security of your account and of the U.S. Bank network is our primary concern.

Therefore, we tried to verify your account information and we were unable to complete it due to an internal error within our processors. To avoid your account suspension, we demand that you take a little time to renew your records in order to also prevent any future problems with the online service.

Follow the link below in order to renew your information:

https://www4.usbank.com/internetBanking/RequestRouter?requestCmdId=DisplayLoginPage

For more information about how to protect your account, please visit U.S. Bank Security Center.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and appreciate your assistance in helping us maintain the integrity of the entire U.S. Bank system.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

The U.S. BANK Customer Service

Please do not reply to this mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be answered

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
Dear maadam, sir

My name is Kongoo Nyekke-Yekke and I am son to the thrown of late assassined President NyekkeYekke of Zayr. I am in dire need of your noble assistance to transfer 30 gadzillion dolla US from our country.....

chunky

Chimp
Apr 12, 2004
Soo'er Canduh...
I don't know if you know about it... I didn't bother to read all those damn replys to your thread, but Paypal is in the middle if a class action lawsuit because of these issues that you speak of... email fuzzy_spoon@hotmail.com for more details on how to join the lawsuit... I am Canadian and I got screwed out of a lot of money too...