Quantcast

I figured out the immigration solution...

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
It’s simple. Just trade our Trumpie Anti-Vaxxers, one for one, with hard working Latinos that will get the vaccine and open restaurants.
Bonus: the average IQ of the dullards we trade will be around 80, so we will probably trend up a few points as a nation.

Can I get my Nobel now?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
FTFY

...but he’s got a point.
Rideit knows it, and I know he knows hit. What rideit doesn't know is that 'in jest' reads exactly the same way and becomes normalized in one's head once you fall back on it regularly. "It's funny" is only funny when paired with the assumptions that one is not racist, which only the speaker really ever knows. So it's not really effective communication.

I used to make racist ass jokes all the time "in jest". Then one day I realized that I didn't need to rely on that shit for humor, that it only worked in my own head, and still goes out into the world as the same racist shit you think you're making fun of. You can probably count the non-sarcastic posts I've made on this forum on one hand. But in that realm, it's not only punching down, it's just not funny. There are millions of rich white shit heads in this country that are a much better source of humor.

I'm one of three native english speakers on my block now. A roofer, a landscaper, and a retired civil engineer all born somewhere else, most of them mexico. The next rich white person I see in my town who absent mindedly reduces the entire culture of this place to the quality of the tacos, I'm seriously going to put an appendage through their skull. I'm just kinda over it. And everything I hate about this place, where rideit lives makes it pale in comparison. The exotic "other" doesn't simply exist as another branch of service for your clueless white ass to stuff something "authentic" in your fat face.

And right now I enjoy thin mints from a coworker's daughter I stuck in the freezer a few hours ago I'll have you know!

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Rideit knows it, and I know he knows hit. What rideit doesn't know is that 'in jest' reads exactly the same way and becomes normalized in one's head once you fall back on it regularly. "It's funny" is only funny when paired with the assumptions that one is not racist, which only the speaker really ever knows. So it's not really effective communication.

I used to make racist ass jokes all the time "in jest". Then one day I realized that I didn't need to rely on that shit for humor, that it only worked in my own head, and still goes out into the world as the same racist shit you think you're making fun of. You can probably count the non-sarcastic posts I've made on this forum on one hand. But in that realm, it's not only punching down, it's just not funny. There are millions of rich white shit heads in this country that are a much better source of humor.

I'm one of three native english speakers on my block now. A roofer, a landscaper, and a retired civil engineer all born somewhere else, most of them mexico. The next rich white person I see in my town who absent mindedly reduces the entire culture of this place to the quality of the tacos, I'm seriously going to put and appendage through their skull. I'm just kinda over it. And everything I hate about this place, where rideit lives makes it pale in comparison.

And right now I enjoy thin mints from a coworker's daughter I stuck in the freezer a few hours ago I'll have you know!

Authentic Thin Mints?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004

I'm one of three native english speakers on my block now. A roofer, a landscaper, and a retired civil engineer all born somewhere else, most of them mexico. The next rich white person I see in my town who absent mindedly reduces the entire culture of this place to the quality of the tacos, I'm seriously going to put an appendage through their skull. I'm just kinda over it. And everything I hate about this place, where rideit lives makes it pale in comparison. The exotic "other" doesn't simply exist as another branch of service for your clueless white ass.

Tell me how you really feel.
FWIW, I speak Spanish (ok), and act as a liaison for a bunch of the J1’s that come here. I also work with the Doug Coomb’s foundation, getting children of immigrants (mostly Mexican) with getting them skiing for free. That doesn’t make me a volunteer legal translator or anything, but I do my part, and know that community WAY better than most. And have for 20 years.
honestly, I really only made those jokes in response to you always making those jokes about ‘authentic tacos’ to me.
I feel like you are projecting your anger towards the wrong thing.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I was responding to mandown.

Nothing like a "some of my best friends are ______" response. ;)

Now you at least know why I make fun of white people seeking "authentic" cuisine. And they're always white and well off.......

I wasn't making jokes as much as making fun of a trope. One that needs to die.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
I was responding to mandown.

Nothing like a "some of my best friends are ______" response. ;)

Now you at least know why I make fun of white people seeking "authentic" cuisine. And they're always white and well off.......

I wasn't making jokes as much as making fun of a trope. One that needs to die.
Not just some of my friends, in fact My very best friend is Peruvian, and we are going to spend two weeks with his family starting thursday.
what would pass the ‘purity test’ for you?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Not just some of my friends, in fact My very best friend is Peruvian, and we are going to spend two weeks with his family starting thursday.
what would pass the ‘purity test’ for you?
I know about your connections in peru. And you've referenced most of the other stuff over the years enough, I know that too. You're confusing my point.

I'm not saying "rideit is a racist asshole"

What I'm saying is "rideit said a dumb shit"

There's a difference. I'm not commenting on what lies in your soul, I'm commenting on what came out of your mouth.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Then one day I realized that I didn't need to rely on that shit for humor, that it only worked in my own head, and still goes out into the world as the same racist shit you think you're making fun of.
I’ve been working on cutting out describing strangers by race when telling stories. It’s pretty easy to search for a one or two word “quick description” of a person to make them a character and end up using race. It usually goes like this:

I saw this bald black guy and this old Mexican woman get into a fender bender...
...wait...
Why is this guy being black relevant to this story? Who cares if she’s Mexican? Is she Mexican or Hispanic or Latina or? Well, now I’ve committed to these descriptions, so...

I mean, it’s almost equally weird (though not offensive) to strip all descriptions out. I saw a person driving north in a truck and a person driving east in a car, and they collided in the intersection.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Aha, now THAT I can totally agree with!
I literally used to throw around the N word in my 20's because I thought it was a funny way to make fun of all the racist assholes I grew up around. Cuz I can throw in a hard southern dipshit accent at the drop of a hat. Then I let it slip in front of a black housekeeper in a hotel in New Orleans once who was within earshot of me. I was horrified at myself, but this dude just looked at me like 'yup, used to that'. It's all the same shit on the outside.

You and I both live on the business end of "places where rich white people demand stuff". I've gotten a lot more touchy about that over the last few years watching the community here disappear in the service of that. And especially after last year some things about white american culture just need to go away. It's bad. And it's deeply deeply ingrained, myself included.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I’ve been working on cutting out describing strangers by race when telling stories. It’s pretty easy to search for a one or two word “quick description” of a person to make them a character and end up using race. It usually goes like this:

I saw this bald black guy and this old Mexican woman get into a fender bender...
...wait...
Why is this guy being black relevant to this story? Who cares if she’s Mexican? Is she Mexican or Hispanic or Latina or? Well, now I’ve committed to these descriptions, so...
What's even better is when you realize that you don't do that shit with 'anglican' or whatever the hell else 'white' man/woman is. (speaking for myself here if no one else)

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
What's even better is when you realize that you don't do that shit with 'anglican' or whatever the hell else 'white' man/woman is. (speaking for myself here if no one else)
I’ll drop a “white” but only if it’s because non-whites are involved. To be fair, I’m white, and so are most of the people around here I interact with (though not a huge majority in LA), so it’s a mechanism to differentiate. But I don’t dig into Irish or Czech or French or Australian or any of a number of other “frequently white” looking people ...
I’m just going to start describing people by kneecap diameter.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
One last observation on my ‘open restaurants’ quip, then I will let it all rest and become a better human.
But all through high school, college, and after,I worked in kitchens. (I also worked in bike shops, but I was generally broke). I learned my Spanish in kitchens. And I was not the boss, just another prep/line/dishwasher dude, as needed. The Hispanics I worked with were absolutely the hardest workers in any establishment. Their work ethic was something to aspire to. to this day, if I am looking at a resumé, and someone has some long experience working in a restaurant, I know they can be trained to bust ass.

Last edited:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
A guy at my gym had a shirt that said “Jesus is my dishwasher.” He said the restaurant he worked at had these made as an inside joke that they all thought was funny (including Jesus). I liked the religious irreverence and the play on the name. But it cuts both ways, and as funny as it might be for an inside joke among friends, it easily looks racist to the outside world. So do I live in a world made of people comfortable enough to make jokes without hatred, or one where everyone is a racist.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Just a reminder: from a biological POV, race does not exist.

It does, it is synonymous with species. There is a human race.

I believe the 'modern' concept of race came about when natural history became a thing and rich white Europeans used decidedly unscientific methods to declare their supremacy.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
When I was in grad school we had a weekly department happy hour. One day we noticed a table of people looking at and commenting on our table. One of the people came over and said they assumed we were students and liked to play a game where they tried to figure out what people's majors were. I asked if we could play too and bet a round of drinks on who could best guess the other groups major.

The other table of students debated the issue for a solid 15 minutes, we took about thirty seconds.

They guessed very wrongly that we were English majors based on race, gender and what people were wearing. They made their decision completely based on what we all looked like and were rather stunned to find out we were engineers.

We correctly guessed they were Anthropologists because no one else would play such a stupid game.

Last edited:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
I think the US (as a whole) needs to come with terms with 2 facts and its consequences.

1) It was a country built on ethnic cleansing and land grabs, long after the french revolution and the development in the west of the concepts of equality and freedom for all men, with a sizable chunk of population being descendant of slaves.

2) Most of the country land comes from the genocide of indians after the lousiana purchase and the war on mexicans, with the subsequent ethnic cleansing and the de-facto caste system than came after.

200+ years of white supremacism have only receded enough to give visibility to non-whites in the last 50-100 years at most. With things like Rosa Parks and George Wallace standing at the door of UA happening as recent as 60 years ago.

This means, even for the most sucessful non-whites, there have only been 2-3 generations worth of cultural-capital accumulation, which leads my idea on inmigration.

I believe anything other than "OK, lets face the reality, we already have millions of inmigrants.. lets make it easier for all of us" is just unsustainable; and is nothing more than a continuation of the caste system from before the segregation days.

Non-whites are reproducing at a faster rate than whites (key cultural capital feature still to be developed by non-whites), and the only reason the US was kept white (not only in racial, but ethnically/culturally) for so long was by crimes against humanity no longer legal. This means, the caste-system/2nd class citizens will never cease to exist at this rate.

Because of this, demographic change is going to happen whether people like it or not, the US just didnt kill enough mexicans like it did with the indians, so they are growing back and getting together like liquid terminator.

All those mexican inmigrants you see now are connected to the land that was grabbed 5-7 generations ago.
I mean, the cities most full of inmigrants have spanish names! That alone should tell you why the hell there are so many of them.
They not only inmigrate to the US because its a better place (Canada or Europe are even better places), they inmigrate to those cities because they have connections to the land... an uncle, an aunt, a grandma, which in turn had an uncle/aunt/grandma way back in the day.

Think about this. illegal mexican inmigrants pay thousands of dollars for coyotes to illegaly cross the border.
Yet, they dont need visas to travel to Europe, and it just cost $700 for a ticket to Spain or France and they can fast-track a european citizenship in few years because they are a former colony.
Why would they choose the most expensive/hardest option, become 2nd class citizens and risk their lives if it wasnt because of a connection to the land? Is just trivially easy to inmigrate to Europe compared to jumping the border to the north.

You just cant undo that and separate people from land like in the old days, now that ethnic cleansing is not longer acceptable. Modern day inmigration, is in a way, a consequence of that. Its just what it is.

The most reasonable thing in my book, is to make things easier for all... an inmigration reform that gives inmigrants the same rights/status of others and allow non-whites to acquire the cultural capital they need to improve their lives, and by extension the quality of life for all society.
Its just moving forward and accepting reality by what it really is and has been for decades.

The US would be much better off, I think.

Last edited:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Imagine if the US were to be invaded by china tomorrow, split in half with the chinese keeping everything east of the mississippi.

Then, in 4-5 generations some ethnically chinese dudes were bitching.... "WHY are there soo many godamn whites in BOSTON? ... And why are they still jumping the mississippi river everyday, into china?"
Itd be funny, if it wasnt a somewhat accurate cartoon of present day US.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Imagine if the US were to be invaded by china tomorrow, split in half with the chinese keeping everything east of the mississippi.

Then, in 4-5 generations some ethnically chinese dudes were bitching.... "WHY are there soo many godamn whites in BOSTON? ... And why are they still jumping the mississippi river everyday, into china?"
Itd be funny, if it wasnt a somewhat accurate cartoon of present day US.
Geographically speaking I think russia gets the east coast and china gets the west.

I know if I were in charge of the new american dynasty I'd make all the rich honkey fucks in san francisco and seattle build a railroad that just circumnavigates north america in a big spiral that doesn't really go anywhere.

You know, just cuz. And then I'd keep asking them why their food sucks and has so much mayonnaise.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
If we can fully descend into 3rd world poverty and wealth disparity then we can begin to curb immigration. The main problem right now is that Trumps second term was STOLEN by VOTER FRAUD. Only Trump was capable of allowing the free fall descent into 3rd world / race war / culture whitewashing.

That is the only way. The immigrants need to understand they have it better in their homeland rather than in USA.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Let me google that for you

People are just coming here because they want a better condo with a view.
Trust me I understand why people are coming here. If people want to stop immigration to USA we have to strive to be worse than other 3rd world countries. We can stop immigration if we can descend our nation into abject poverty and class disparity. Lofty goals and the American Dream have no place in a modern USA. Healthcare should only be for those who can afford it and we should use insurance scams to get the cost of all treatments and medicine sky high.