Quantcast

I finally got it, NBR

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Well. I finally got my assistantship through the university. Starting Tuesday I will no longer be slinging sandwiches at the deli. I will be collecting secondary data on prenatal care availability in the midsouth. then after I have collected my data, I will be building maps with it using GIS. They will be paying my tuition plus a 750 dollar a month stipend which means that I will be broke as a joke, but not working with food.

This will be the first time in my life ever that I have not been in food service. The department I am working with just got a new office downtown, so I won't even be on campus all day. I am so excited. Anyway, sorry to come out of the shadows just to update you on my non bike related life.

I did ride my bike the other day and my bike legs are practically gone. but that may be another thread all together.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
well congrats!!! sounds like you took on a whole lot more. Is the assistantship full time?? having them pay tution is really nice, but $750 a month is rough. How long is it for and what would be the next step to take?

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
hooples3 said:
well congrats!!! sounds like you took on a whole lot more. Is the assistantship full time?? having them pay tution is really nice, but $750 a month is rough. How long is it for and what would be the next step to take?
no, it's part time. 20 hours a week. I'll be taking 13 hours of school as well. the money will suck but the experience will be great. most professors have pity on grad students and odd jobs aren't difficult to come by. I was worried about the money but after a semester of busting my ass in a deli making decent money and still trying to squeeze in time for class and research projects i figured enough is enough. I can handle a couple of years of being broke. The next step to take is graduating and getting a job.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Sounds like you got your priorities down. No sense in burning yourself out for a few extra bucks now, since school will eventually be the better payoff.
Oh and i'll have a Turkey on wheat light on the mayo please....

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
congratulations...now you might not feel the need to be so cranky since you are no longer serving food to retards who will beotch about anything...I always hated people when I worked in food service...

I once had a dumbarse ask me to bring him a new bottle of ketchup because that one had already been opened...I shoulda hit him on the head with it...and this was at an Guinness Pub...

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
narlus said:
:confused:

are the patrons of a 'guinness pub' typically less rude than other pubs?
nope...I was referring to the fact that it wasn't some fine dining restaurant, where the patrons have a right to expect uncontaminated condiment dishes because of the ridiculous prices they pay...

they may be a little more drunk because it was a traditional Irish pub though...