Quantcast

I finaly did something worth while in school (RM related)

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
cannondalejunky said:
it's glass isn't it...just turn it around then they'll be on the right side
It is glass but it's a mirror so if I turn in around you will still see the sandblasted part, but will also see mirror backing instead of a reflective serface.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Thats really cool. How did you do it? Do you have one of those new fangled machines where you just put in the design and it does everything for you, or is it labor intensive?

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
BigMike said:
Thats really cool. How did you do it? Do you have one of those new fangled machines where you just put in the design and it does everything for you, or is it labor intensive?
first I take an adheasive resist (basicly a think plastic that stick to the glass) then I use carbon paper to trace the design onto the resist, then I cut on the lines I have drawn with an exacto and then pull the resist off the aria I want to sandblast, then I take it into a sandblaster (an airpowered thing that sprays sand on the glass and takes off a layer) then I take a silver foil put it on and solder some rings on so I can hang it

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Nice job! I was never very artsy, I think that side of the brain has been damaged in a bike crash.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Montashu, very cool, sounds like an ivnolved process. I didn't know if you had one of those new fangled automatic router-type deals or if you did it the old fashioned way. Its much cooler to do things the old fashioned way :thumb:

And Splat, what was that banner for?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
TheMontashu said:
They have a glass program at my high school. We do sandblastin, fusion, a bit of castin, bead making, paper weights, and I will be starting to blow next year.
Way cool man. We had auto shop, and metal and wood shop, but nothing that cool.

I would love to learn how to work with glass. (Yet another craft to learn!)

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
TheMontashu said:
They have a glass program at my high school. We do sandblastin, fusion, a bit of castin, bead making, paper weights, and I will be starting to blow next year.
Wow that sounds like an awesome class. Mush better than my teacher letting me loose with a TIG. How big is your high school to be offering a class like that?

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Ciaran said:
Way cool man. We had auto shop, and metal and wood shop, but nothing that cool.

I would love to learn how to work with glass. (Yet another craft to learn!)
No more wood, auto, or metal shops, my dad was actualy the last woodshop teacher at my school.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
kinghami3 said:
Wow that sounds like an awesome class. Mush better than my teacher letting me loose with a TIG. How big is your high school to be offering a class like that?
It's about 2500 kids they have the class cause it is considered an art class by the UCs

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
The private high school I went to last year, didn't have any shop classes. After doing some welding over the summer at a camp, that pis3d me off. I'm doing a charter school, so now these kind of things I would do on my own. I can probably take these things at the city college.