Quantcast

I got a new car!

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
It's new to me anyway...

89 VW GTI, 16V 1.8, limited edition BBM blue, BBS helios wheels, and some cool aftermarket goodies. By far the best driving car I've ever owned.\

(I know it's dirty in the pic..... I washed it right after)

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
hhahahah the pic quality made me think it was 3 days off the vw factory line when that pic was taken...throw a rack on the beotch...you could def give that thing some character!

i just got an 02 gli mmmmmmmmmmm vw :love:

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
manhattanprjkt83 said:
hhahahah the pic quality made me think it was 3 days off the vw factory line when that pic was taken...throw a rack on the beotch...you could def give that thing some character!

i just got an 02 gli mmmmmmmmmmm vw :love:
The rack's probably gonna be my next move, except that I'm broke now....

(and my phone's pics look good on the phone, but not anywhere else)

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
what exactly makes VW's such great cars? Honestly I'm curious. I've got a 96 saturn that I don't love much, it's got a 1.9 DOHC, its power to wieght ratio is comparable to a mazda miata supposedly, with the right bolt ons they're supposed to make around 14 seconds in a quarter mile. I just don't think I could ever soup up my saturn enough to make it fun to drive knowing that I could buy something like a used mustang or camero that would be faster without any upgrades.

Are VWs really that much different than an European version of a Saturn?

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
hmm, i never realized saturns were so light. your sl2 (assuming sedan) has 18.8 lbs/hp, and a 2002 miata has about 16.8. so not quite but a lot closer than i would have expected :thumb:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Kornphlake said:
what exactly makes VW's such great cars? Honestly I'm curious. I've got a 96 saturn that I don't love much, it's got a 1.9 DOHC, its power to wieght ratio is comparable to a mazda miata supposedly, with the right bolt ons they're supposed to make around 14 seconds in a quarter mile. I just don't think I could ever soup up my saturn enough to make it fun to drive knowing that I could buy something like a used mustang or camero that would be faster without any upgrades.

Are VWs really that much different than an European version of a Saturn?
Well there is the intangible but very real advantage of german engineering. Farfignuggen or whatever, I think it's real. They are just a kick to drive even at near legal speeds. I owned an early 90's Scirocco a while back and it was just a kick. Just like with bikes, specs and other objective things never tell the whole story.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
zane said:
The rack's probably gonna be my next move, except that I'm broke now....

(and my phone's pics look good on the phone, but not anywhere else)
I have Yakima towers for my 92 Jetta that I never used with the locks. Let me know if you want them.

You could probably make some money selling those Helios BBS to a Helios owner and pick up a normal set of BBS RA's.

Cool color. Try to keep it straight and healthy.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Cool car. I like the older water-cooled...
I've got a few air-cooled toys at home, I miss driving them!

spam16v

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
Buffalo, NY
prior cars: 86 GTI 2.0 16v (swap)
87 gti 1.8 16v
88 gti 1.8 16v then 2.0 16v
89 gti 2.0/1.8 16v hybrid w/raddo 02A cable shift trans swap.
all were modded to the hilt, and slammed on the ground. everything from all motor cars gutted down to one seat to stereo w/da bump in da trunk.
sold the last mk2 and bought an 04 Gti 1.8t. daily driver pile..... i work at an Audi dealer as a tech so i got it cheap.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
rooftest said:
Bolt on what? A V8?

I'm a huge fan of the VW VR6s - I've got a Jetta with one and it moves pretty good.
It takes a lot of work to get a saturn into the 14's I guess, you have to do some wild stuff like swap the throttle body with one from an oldsmobile or some such nonsense, 90-92 saturns came stock with an exhaust header rather than the crappy manifold they use now, so a trip to the junk yard can turn up a nice bolt on header and cat back exhaust systems are available. Some guys do ram air intakes, others jerry rig turbos although that's pushing the limit of what would be considered bolt on... Other stuff like tuned shocks, aftermarket polyurethane motor and trans mounts, performance cams, performance heads and the like are available although not as easy to come by as they would be for something like a Civic. In the end you still have a Saturn though.

I guess I'd have to drive a VW to really understand.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
I didn't know any companies made bolt-ons for saturns..... but people will mod anything for the fun of it.

EDIT: I just found http://www.turbosaturns.net/, pretty cool stuff going on for saturns.

VW's are just fun to drive, they handle well and everything just seems very well thought out (german engineers). You either love them or hate them, but the haters have usually never driven one.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
stevew said:
I have Yakima towers for my 92 Jetta that I never used with the locks. Let me know if you want them.

You could probably make some money selling those Helios BBS to a Helios owner and pick up a normal set of BBS RA's.

Cool color. Try to keep it straight and healthy.
I might hit you up for those towers in the future, I'm short on cash at the moment.

I like the BBS's, you don't see them every day- I'm planning on keeping them unless I get a really good offer for them... and I definitely plan on taking good care of it, I can't afford another car for the next couple years!

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
Kornphlake said:
.... others jerry rig turbos although that's pushing the limit of what would be considered bolt on...
A turbo will get you there, but not a jerry-rigged one. You'd need to spend top dollar to get into the 14s. (about as fast as a stock Mustang.)