Quantcast

I got a potential job offer for $170,000 for a one year assignment!

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
LordOpie said:
upwards of 70 hours per week... ok, not what I want, but for a year? hell, I could take a full year off from work afterwards.

graphic design in MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint... ugh, but whatever.

oh... must be available to work directly with Commanding General in Iraq. Are you available for transfer to Iraq on April 26, 2006? :eek:
Is this part of Bush's exit plan? implement pretty graphics disguising the microsoft virus and load it onto Iraqi machines?

PonySoldier

Monkey
May 5, 2004
Woodland Park Colorado
As a former M1/M1A1 gunner on a tank and a Geographer I would say that the Military portion of my education played as big a part in my first 2 jobs in the GIS/Remote sensing Biz as did my degree. As John E says being able to perform a job under pressure is of some value in the job market.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Transcend said:
They are grunts who's only job is to sling bullets towards the enemy as fast and accurately as they can. Sure it takes guts and it takes training and pratice but it isn't skilled labour.
Being a web designer takes training and practice but I'd say that since y'all are dime a dozen there isn't much skill to it.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
DRB said:
Being a web designer takes training and practice but I'd say that since y'all are dime a dozen there isn't much skill to it.
Not when only a handfull are decent. Any 14 year old next door can slap together a webpage, it isn't hard. Coding to standards and the design/navigation aspect are something most people seemingly do not get however. And if by dime a dozen, you mean I can charge $175/hr and no one complains, then sure I'll agree to that too. :)

edit: and as an added bonus, I don't have to get shot at while doing it.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Transcend said:
Not when only a handfull are decent. Any 14 year old next door can slap together a webpage, it isn't hard. Coding to standards and the design/navigation aspect are something most people seemingly do not get however. And if by dime a dozen, you mean I can charge $175/hr and no one complains, then sure I'll agree to that too. :)

edit: and as an added bonus, I don't have to get shot at while doing it.
A handful? What's the quantity of a handful for web designers? 15 or 20. Or maybe 10000 or maybe a 100000? Please you're about as exclusive as mice.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
DRB said:
A handful? What's the quantity of a handful for web designers? 15 or 20. Or maybe 10000 or maybe a 100000? Please you're about as exclusive as mice.
Sure, then next time I'm sure microsoft will hire the 14 year old next door to do theirs. :rolleyes:

Edit: There's some bitter unkilled labour out there.

J

JRB

Westy said:
My company has a office in India with several hundred web designers that go for about $5 an hour.
Apparently they think they are worth more in Canada. :think:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Westy said:
My company has a office in India with several hundred web designers that go for about $5 an hour.
Most do, they suck because no one wants to deal with India anymore. Hence the reason those of us over here who know what's up can charge ridiculous amounts of money.:)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Transcend said:
Sure, then next time I'm sure microsoft will hire the 14 year old next door to do theirs. :rolleyes:

Edit: There's some bitter unkilled labour out there.
I'VE GOT YOU NOW, LITTLE FISHY.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Transcend said:
Most do, they suck because no one wants to deal with India anymore. Hence the reason those of us over here who know what's up can charge ridiculous amounts of money.:)

This isn't a contract company, actual corporate offices in India. Same with our IT support. They do a pretty good job, no more difficult to deal with than if they were just in another state. Most difficulties stem from stupid corporate red tape more than distance/language.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Westy said:
This isn't a contract company, actual corporate offices in India. Same with our IT support. They do a pretty good job, no more difficult to deal with than if they were just in another state. Most difficulties stem from stupid corporate red tape more than distance/language.

But they could never be as skilled and great as Transcend. He charges $175/hr. That tells you right away how great he is.

J

JRB

Transcend said:
Nope, I just like pissing off the unskilled labour and bitter ex military members who risked their lives for $5 an hour. :rofl:
It's cool - I am gonna prank call you on your cell phone for fun though. :D

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Just for the record, I was a computer technician in the Navy, I did everything from micro-miniature repairs to circuit boards, to software debugging, to troubleshooting and repair of damn near every piece of electronic equipment on the ship. Can't very well call in NEC's service rep when the cash register in the ship's store stops working in the middle of the Pacific ocean, nope, you call the data systems guys. That and once I made grade I was managing people. All for the same pay as the dude carrying ropes around below decks. That's mainly why I got out. But to say I was unskilled labor is just f*cking clueless.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
DRB said:
But they could never be as skilled and great as Transcend. He charges $175/hr. That tells you right away how great he is.
I charge $1000/hour to have sex with Miss America contestants.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
DRB said:

can t you just let the little man have his moment... he is the greatest web designer in the world... :rolleyes:

:devil:

transcend - you certainally do have a very high opinion of yourself... unlike the majority of canucks i ve met...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
DRB said:
Nope, it tells you what people are willing to pay for skilled labour who never spent time in the military. :rofl:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Echo said:
Just for the record, I was a computer technician in the Navy, I did everything from micro-miniature repairs to circuit boards, to software debugging, to troubleshooting and repair of damn near every piece of electronic equipment on the ship. Can't very well call in NEC's service rep when the cash register in the ship's store stops working in the middle of the Pacific ocean, nope, you call the data systems guys. That and once I made grade I was managing people. All for the same pay as the dude carrying ropes around below decks. That's mainly why I got out. But to say I was unskilled labor is just f*cking clueless.
Not sure who you are responding to, but if you read my post I pointed out that some of the jobs do carry over. Those who do join and go into this field clearly don't do it for the money.

To be clear, the guys hauling ropes are indeed unskilled labour.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Transcend said:
Nope, it tells you what people are willing to pay for skilled labour who never spent time in the military. :rofl:
So are you saying that if you had served in the military, you would somehow not be able to charge $175 per hour anymore?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
partsbara said:
can t you just let the little man have his moment... he is the greatest web designer in the world... :rolleyes:

:devil:

transcend - you certainally do have a very high opinion of yourself... unlike the majority of canucks i ve met...
And you certainly are an a**hole, unlike the majority of aussies I've met, so we're even.

J

JRB

I imagine Transcend getting up every morning and singing "I'm too sexy for my shirt" every day. :D

*I can't wait for justsomeguy to come along and tell me how inadequate I am now.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Echo said:
So are you saying that if you had served in the military, you would somehow not be able to charge $175 per hour anymore?
Nope, saying that if i had been in the military I may have been doing the same thing for $5 an hour - which would have been pretty silly. (unless the military gave me the free education to learn the skill, then I couldn't complain much could I...)

J

JRB

Transcend said:
Not sure who you are responding to, but if you read my post I pointed out that some of the jobs due carry over. Those who do join and go into this field clearly don't do it for the money.

How much will it cost to carry them over???

*nice typo :thumb:

dammit

J

JRB

Transcend said:
And you certainly are an a**hole, unlike the majority of aussies I've met, so we're even.
In all fairness - he is practicing to be a California lib now.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Transcend said:
Like I said, that's why I got out. Generally my theory is this: People who have the aptitude to get out and make something of themselves, do. People who are socially or technically inept, stay in. I hate to say it but with the way they structure pay, that's what you end up with. What computer nerd with half a brain would stay in there and get paid the same as the dude who cooks his breakfast?