Quantcast

I got a potential job offer for $170,000 for a one year assignment!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Echo said:
Like I said, that's why I got out. Generally my theory is this: People who have the aptitude to get out and make something of themselves, do. People who are socially or technically inept, stay in. I hate to say it but with the way they structure pay, that's what you end up with. What computer nerd with half a brain would stay in there and get paid the same as the dude who cooks his breakfast?
Clearly, which is what the entire point of the thread was at a point. It makes no sense for skilled labour to be making the same pay as the guy mopping the deck and "hauling ropes".

Those who do stay in and learn a craft can't really complain much either, as the skills they learned while being paid would have probably cost them a mint at a private University anyways.

J

JRB

Transcend said:
My typo is as good as yours, the one that breaks the bold coding. UNSKILLED LABOUR ALERT.
I have a feeling we should ALL stop trying to insult on typos today. :think:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Transcend said:
Those who do stay in and learn a craft can't really complain much either, as the skills they learned while being paid would have probably cost them a mint at a private University anyways.
True.

J

JRB

Transcend said:
If only you knew how many times I have been told that about you by various companies/people.
I'm sure the number is incomprehensible. :D

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
There is simply a lot to risk for the type work in Iraq. More especially since the military or the contract security (ex-military) to keep one from becoming a video with masked cowards ready to kill you.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
funny thing is that i have two good friends who are / were web designers... one is an RM member and has contracted some big name clients - universities, hospitals etc... he still does it and he makes big money... sorry transgend i don t want to burst your bubble, but he makes more than you...

back to my point... both of these guys call it BS work... for muppets... one has since gotten out of it... he was in the 150 bucks per hour club... not up to the level of the mighty transgender - but who is ????

my point is that while it may be more skilled than unskilled... it isn t freakin rocket science...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Echo said:
Just for the record, I was a computer technician in the Navy, I did everything from micro-miniature repairs to circuit boards, to software debugging, to troubleshooting and repair of damn near every piece of electronic equipment on the ship. Can't very well call in NEC's service rep when the cash register in the ship's store stops working in the middle of the Pacific ocean, nope, you call the data systems guys. That and once I made grade I was managing people. All for the same pay as the dude carrying ropes around below decks. That's mainly why I got out. But to say I was unskilled labor is just f*cking clueless.
I did both. I was an "Undesignated Seaman" (yes, I said seaman). I was in deck division, but worked in my off hours in either the radio shack, or hanging with the ET's. I was also #2 nozzel on the fire party, and was the only certified Master Helmsmanthat wasn't a Quartermater (But I was qualified to stand QM watches as part of my Master Helmsman quals).

I was a "Deck Ape" by rate (because I didn't have one), but I also got a 97 on the ASVAB and was qualified in Radio, CIC, Signal, and ET.

While I was in the reserves, they merged RM with DS and made IT (Information Technology) but used the same logo as RM.

Back to the topic at hand, if you are Special Forces qualified, you can make $250K/year Plus most contractors will pay off your house up to $200K for a one year deal. Up to $450k, just for a single year of hell. Very tempting.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
partsbara said:
funny thing is that i have two good friends who are / were web designers... one is an RM member and has contracted some big name clients - universities, hospitals etc... he still does it and he makes big money... sorry transgend i don t want to burst your bubble, but he makes more than you...

back to my point... both of these guys call it BS work... for muppets... one has since gotten out of it... he was in the 150 bucks per hour club... not up to the level of the mighty transgender - but who is ????

my point is that while it may be more skilled than unskilled... it isn t freakin rocket science...
I guess you know how much I make then? Do you work at revenue Canada? You must... I guess that is how you know my client as well.

Also, if you quit a job making 3 figures an hour, i would definitely call you a muppet ya. Especially if it isn't rocket science.

Protip- if you read back a few pages, you'll note that i pointed out that it wasn't rocket science. In fact, I mentioned that most 14 year olds can do it on a pretty basic level.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
notice the connection...

both n8 and transcend feel the need to post their wages online...

fark, n8 is in the 100 - 250K per year club and trans makes 175 per hour...

i m impressed... ;)

anyone would think you guys might possbilly be trying to make up for something..........

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
partsbara said:
notice the connection...

both n8 and transcend feel the need to post their wages online...

fark, n8 is in the 100 - 250K per year club and trans makes 175 per hour...

i m impressed... ;)

anyone would think you guys might possbilly be trying to make up for something..........
Sure thing, has nothing to do with pointing out that skilled labour makes more then unskilled labour, nope nothing at all. :rolleyes:

You can stop being bitter anytime, BTW. :)

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Transcend said:
Protip- if you read back a few pages, you'll note that i pointed out that it wasn't rocket science. In fact, I mentioned that most 14 year olds can do it on a pretty basic level.
Transcend said:
Not when only a handfull are decent. Any 14 year old next door can slap together a webpage, it isn't hard. Coding to standards and the design/navigation aspect are something most people seemingly do not get however. And if by dime a dozen, you mean I can charge $175/hr and no one complains, then sure I'll agree to that too.
Just like I orginially said y'all are about as exclusive as mice.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Transcend said:
Sure thing, has nothing to do with pointing out that skilled labour makes more then unskilled labour, nope nothing at all. :rolleyes:

You can stop being bitter anytime, BTW. :)
ask burly shirley transgend... i have 2 degrees (B.Arts / B. Ed)... are you impressed ???

admit it... you have a small one..... :devil:

i m done here...

i have a very expensive bottle of red that i m going to drink with the missus..... :rofl:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
partsbara said:
ask burly shirley transgend... i have 2 degrees (B.Arts / B. Ed)... are you impressed ???

admit it... you have a small one..... :devil:

i m done here...

i have a very expensive bottle of red that i m going to drink with the missus..... :rofl:
That's great for you, I am actually not surprised.

Wine sucks as much as Loco BTW.

J

JRB

I found a bunch of feathers at my super duper secret spot this weekend.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Transcend said:
It's great, skilled labour built it with the help of some unskilled guys to carry the bricks and timber. :rolleyes:
Of course it took skilled labor to build doorways big enough to fit your gigantic ego thru.

But with your gigantic salary it wouldn't even be a blip in your checkbook to pay for it.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
This is like listening to a couple bitchy teenage girls.

Transcend, DRB is just being an ass, why are you even responding?

DRB, you're just being an ass, why are you even posting?

J

JRB

DRB said:
Of course it took skilled labor to build doorways big enough to fit your gigantic ego thru.

But with your gigantic salary it wouldn't even be a blip in your checkbook to pay for it.
hahahaha - soon he will be known as Napoleon.

*I hope he'll wear the hat. That would be hilarious.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
DRB said:

Ya, i also use the check book to hire unskilled military types to shovel snow and mow the lawn too! Somehow, they have to make enough to pay for their own body armour and every little bit counts.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Transcend said:
because it's amusing. :)

Not really. You and DRB are skilled e-taunters, while taunting you put up a proper defense. We need a unskilled taunter to show up so someone can tear them a new one. It is like two boxers hugging each other. Our e-referee BV just sent y'all back to your corners, now come out fighting.

Ding ding ding.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Westy said:
Not really. You and DRB are skilled e-taunters, while taunting you put up a proper defense. We need a unskilled taunter to show up so someone can tear them a new one. It is like two boxers hugging each other. Our e-referee BV just sent y'all back to your corners, now come out fighting.

Ding ding ding.
Well, that's a good point. I have to run to the camera shop anyways, so I'll have to pick this up later.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
binary visions said:
This is like listening to a couple bitchy teenage girls.

Transcend, DRB is just being an ass, why are you even responding?

DRB, you're just being an ass, why are you even posting?
If calling someone on their overinflated ego is being an ass, tough sh!t, you'll figure out how to get over it at some point. If not I could honestly careless.

J

JRB

DRB said:
If calling someone on their overinflated ego is being an ass, tough sh!t, you'll figure out how to get over it at some point. If not I could honestly careless.
How much less, exactly, could you care??? I would have to have negative care, but that's just me.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
DRB said:
You're welcome to do what you want, but you're just repeatedly making sniping, bitchy comments. You've made your point known, the rest of the discussion just makes you look like a little kid who wants the last word in a playground fight: "you're stupid" "no, you're stupid".

I don't have to get over it - I was never upset about it to begin with. Just commenting...