Quantcast

I got a 'puter/internet access question

Megan Black

I rocked whistler in a mini skirt and f$@* me boot
Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
I just wanted to get some advice from people who might know and save me a lot of research time.

I want to get my laptop at home set up w/internet access. Can I go through a cable line to avoid phone line set/up fees?(cause I really really don't want to set up a phone line at home). I don't need anything real high speed. Oh and also, I heard if I go through a cable line, I can get a wireless card to go anywhere in the house and not be stuck where that line is.

Okay so my question is who/what company would be my best bet? Earthlink? Like I said, I don't need real high speed or anything fancy, cheaper is better. I just want to be able to get to the net.

Thanks guys! :love:

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i have all the answers when it comes to pooters. oh wait you said puter.....errr...uhh.nevermind.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Megan Black said:
I just wanted to get some advice from people who might know and save me a lot of research time.

I want to get my laptop at home set up w/internet access. Can I go through a cable line to avoid phone line set/up fees?(cause I really really don't want to set up a phone line at home). I don't need anything real high speed. Oh and also, I heard if I go through a cable line, I can get a wireless card to go anywhere in the house and not be stuck where that line is.

Okay so my question is who/what company would be my best bet? Earthlink? Like I said, I don't need real high speed or anything fancy, cheaper is better. I just want to be able to get to the net.

Thanks guys! :love:
More than likely the only access via "cable" will be fast/fancy high speed access. The real basic stuff is still dial-up. (phone line)

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
most cable providers have internet options. my provider has 3 different speeed options and an option to haver it without having cable although you might pay a little more. as for the wireless you will need to buy a wireless card and a wirelsess router (about 100 bucks total for both) if you go through the cable company for your internet (as i do) make sure you ask for any promos like free installation, discounted first 3 months or whatever cause if you dont ask they wont give it to ya.

Megan Black

Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
biggins said:
most cable providers have internet options. my provider has 3 different speeed options and an option to haver it without having cable although you might pay a little more. as for the wireless you will need to buy a wireless card and a wirelsess router (about 100 bucks total for both) if you go through the cable company for your internet (as i do) make sure you ask for any promos like free installation, discounted first 3 months or whatever cause if you dont ask they wont give it to ya.
have any suggestion on who to go through?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You'll always have to pay setup fees, unfortunately, unless you can find one of those "Order before <month> and we'll waive the installation fee" promos.

Verizon DSL offers a free wireless router and network card with a DSL contract. They mail everything to your door and it's a snap to set up.

Most places offer high speed cable now, but there's usually a setup fee even if you currently have cable.

Cable is actually about the same price as a standard dial-up account if you don't already have a phone line. Figure a phone line is $20/month and a dial-up account is another $15-20/month, and for the price of both of those you can get high speed cable internet.

If you don't want to mess with phone line stuff, just call your cable company. They can get you all set up.

Wireless routers and network cards can be had at Wal-Mart for like $60.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i am not familiar with the cable carriers in your area. usually its just one company that services the cable in your area. Who is the cable provider in your area?

Megan Black

Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
awesome, thanks for the info. BV!

yeah, i figured there'd be set up fees, i just didn't want to have anything to do with a phone line, that's all

thanks again!

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
remeber if you go wireless you will want to secure the frequency. that way other people will not poach off your signal.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i didnt have to pay installation. going with cable you usually do not need to sign a contract for any length of time. with verizon you will need to sign a contract. My provider said that if i do the direct pay with a card where they just take it out every month then they would waive the install fee and i also got first 3 months at half price.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
biggins said:
remeber if you go wireless you will want to secure the frequency. that way other people will not poach off your signal.
Unless you're in a big apartment complex or something, the signal generated by those tiny little home routers isn't strong enough to reach even across the street. Hell, somtimes you get dead places in your own house.

And you don't actually secure the "frequency" :p

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
this i did not know, but the reason i mentioned it is because i think, if i rememeber correctly, she is in an apatrment.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
not sure if ya know but DSL is thru your phone line BUT you can surf the ridemonkey or any site and take a call, make a call or just listen to dial tone (if thats your thing) on the phone at the same time

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
picturing someone listening to a dial tone is kinda funny. I think she just does nopt want a phone line. i can relate i haven't had a land line in almost 5 years.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
biggins said:
picturing someone listening to a dial tone is kinda funny. I think she just does nopt want a phone line. i can relate i haven't had a land line in almost 5 years.
:D

yeah...I use cable for web at home - it rocks, and it's been 6 months without a landline for me

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Go with cable. I have had it for years and it rocks. I tried DSL for a couple of months. It went down more often than a cheap hooker on saturday night.

Once you go high speed you'll never go back. It's addictive.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ciaran said:
Go with cable. I have had it for years and it rocks. I tried DSL for a couple of months. It went down more often than a cheap hooker on saturday night.
I've had DSL for almost two years and have never had it go down once. The only time I've ever been disconnected is when my router needs rebooting about once every three months.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
binary visions said:
I've had DSL for almost two years and have never had it go down once. The only time I've ever been disconnected is when my router needs rebooting about once every three months.
Who was your DSL through? I had SBC. Mileage will vary from place to place, I imagine.

Megan Black

Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
Ciaran said:
It went down more often than a cheap hooker on saturday night.
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

well, SWEET. i just got an appointment with juno, my caseworker. anyway, theyr'e coming to get my cable set up, the installation will be $60 and then i'll get cable for my t.v. too, whoo-hoo!

the guy on the phone cracked me up, he's like, 'well, you could do the wireless connection yourself; go buy a wireless router for $75-$100 bucks, or we have a package deal where we give your the router and install it and do it all ourselves. but it will cost you more every month and the installation fee is $150'

HOLY JEEZ! i think i'll take door #1........sheesh

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Megan Black said:
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

well, SWEET. i just got an appointment with juno, my caseworker. anyway, theyr'e coming to get my cable set up, the installation will be $60 and then i'll get cable for my t.v. too, whoo-hoo!<snip>
Make sure you don't pay for the cable for the T.V. - someone here told me they can't split the signal for basic cable, so if you have internet-only service you'll get basic cable without being charged for it......

Not that I would condone such a thing. :D

-S.S.-

Megan Black

Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
SkaredShtles said:
Make sure you don't pay for the cable for the T.V. - someone here told me they can't split the signal for basic cable, so if you have internet-only service you'll get basic cable without being charged for it......

-S.S.-
is this truly true? do you know for sure about not being able to split the signal?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Megan Black said:
is this truly true? do you know for sure about not being able to split the signal?
Someone here used to be a cable tech (Skookum?) and told me about it. It's just basic cable, though (apparently), so if you want HBO and crap you have to pony up. That's my understanding, at least.

I have internet-only cable and do not have cable hooked into my TV, mainly because I'm too lazy and abhor television.

-S.S.-

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
binary visions said:

my dsl goes down all the time. i hate it hate it hate it.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Megan Black said:
go buy a wireless router for $75-$100 bucks
head over to anandtech.com forums - hot deals and search for wireless routers and you'll do much better than 75-$100. Linksys are the best and netgear aren't too bad. When you're done with that search for wireless cards, unless you're laptop has integrated wireless. Look for 'g' cards/routers if you will download a lot or transfer files between computers, 'b' card/routers will work fine for internet only activities. Here ends the unsolicited advice.

elderz

Chimp
Jul 31, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
SkaredShtles said:

-S.S.-
its pretty easy forthem to split it, but sometimes the cable guys are lazy and dont do it so you get free cable. i wouldnt count on it though.