Quantcast

I got a session 88 and I need some questions answered

altix

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
and yes, i searched the site all over and could not find them.

does it come with the headset? 1 1/8th and a 1 1/2? this is frame only

also, what tabs are on it...iv read ISCG 05 and ISCG old...Im confused

thanks

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Headset comes with the bike; it's a 1 1/8 top and a 1.5 bottom reduced to a 1 1/8. Tabs are ISCG OLD and they're recessed back about 2-2.5 mm, so you'll need more spacers than your chainguide's instructions will likely recommend.

--JP

altix

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
ready from where? Cane Creek? Or direct from Trek?

thanks

EDIT, I found them on multiple sites...but I am super confused for some reason, universalcycles says its for Tapered steerer tubes...My lower crown is just a 1 1/8th steerer tube...And I cant seem to find an option for a reducer style in the Frustum ZS...hmmm

Last edited:

altix

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
I will be running a 2009 fox 40, with a standard 1.125 steerer. it seems that the headset that comes with the frame is 1.125 compatible, meaning the 1.5in lower cub is a reducer. Cane Creeks website has the Frustum ZS up on their site, but it does not state that there is a non-tapered version

thanks

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I will be running a 2009 fox 40, with a standard 1.125 steerer. it seems that the headset that comes with the frame is 1.125 compatible, meaning the 1.5in lower cub is a reducer. Cane Creeks website has the Frustum ZS up on their site, but it does not state that there is a non-tapered version

thanks
I know they are out there, I was just looking in the KHS and QBP catalogue the other day deciding what headset I want to use in my next build, and came across the headsets your needing, Trek isnt the only one that does this, Giant does as well, and I suspect this will soon become a standard soon to be seeing on many bikes.

altix

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
i see, i found that chris king makes one as well, but Id suspect those would be quite pricey, im already broke from just buying the frame haha. you see, i broke my frame (06 SC V10) and cannot find a rear triangle, called SC and all of it, but no luck. all of this has to be done by saturday too...or in other words, the night before i leave for Nationals at Sol Vista, so im pressed for time. when i go into my shop tomorrow I'll have them ask the warehouse in cali if the bike has a headset, that way ill know weather or not i have to order something to go along with it.

thanks for the help =]

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
go to a giant dealer and check if they have headsets for the glory DH which has the same sh*t headtube/ headset. as these are popular bikes, maybe they have some stocked.

altix

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
i just wish trek would have sent me in the right direction from the start, i felt like i had to track down all the little things that i needed to make this bike go. sorta bad on their part. they definitely need to update their specs, down to the ISCG bolts and headset setup...and chainline, something i have yet to figure out, even tho with truvative I only have one 83mm option

thanks everyone

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
when i go into my shop tomorrow I'll have them ask the warehouse in cali if the bike has a headset, that way ill know weather or not i have to order something to go along with it.

thanks for the help =]
Did my post explaining the headset not make sense? It's a Cane Creek setup - 1.125 on top, and a 1.5 reducer (to a 1.125) on the bottom. Your fork will fit fine. I'm one of a very small number of people in the U.S. to have purchased the Session 88 DH frameset, and I know this stuff for fact.

The frame will also come with a rear axle, QR seat clamp, shock pump, cool custom rubber chainstay guard, and a bunch of zip ties to secure the cables as you build it up with your parts.

If you have other questions, just email or PM me.

--JP

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
i just wish trek would have sent me in the right direction from the start, i felt like i had to track down all the little things that i needed to make this bike go. sorta bad on their part. they definitely need to update their specs, down to the ISCG bolts and headset setup...and chainline, something i have yet to figure out, even tho with truvative I only have one 83mm option

thanks everyone
Im sorry but can you name 5 companies that have all that info listed on their website?Im bet you'll have a hard time.Im not saying it shouldn't be there for the public but many companies don't go that deep in that sort of details.

It's not Trek, its YOUR dealer buddy.If you cant find an answer to your questions,It should come down to them to talk with their rep and get that info for you.

Beside, I havent checked the website but I already knew the bike comes with a headset probably because Ive read that almost EVERYWHERE over the last few months.

Jun 12, 2009
Netherlands
Getting a headset for mine really, really sucked.

E-mailed Cane Creek in the USA 3 times.... No reply... Cane Creek importer in the Netherlands didn't have 'em.....
Eventually I had to take one from Nico Vink's spare frameset.....

altix

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
Did my post explaining the headset not make sense? It's a Cane Creek setup - 1.125 on top, and a 1.5 reducer (to a 1.125) on the bottom. Your fork will fit fine. I'm one of a very small number of people in the U.S. to have purchased the Session 88 DH frameset, and I know this stuff for fact.

The frame will also come with a rear axle, QR seat clamp, shock pump, cool custom rubber chainstay guard, and a bunch of zip ties to secure the cables as you build it up with your parts.

If you have other questions, just email or PM me.

--JP
it wasint that i didnt believe you, its just that if for some reason it doesnt come with one of these things ill have 1 day to get it before im off on the road...im sure it will come with all of this stuff, so im putting my worries to rest haha. thanks much guys

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
it wasint that i didnt believe you, its just that if for some reason it doesnt come with one of these things ill have 1 day to get it before im off on the road...im sure it will come with all of this stuff, so im putting my worries to rest haha. thanks much guys
Gotcha. It sucks cutting it close like that, so I totally understand your worries. Hopefully, Trek won't make a liar out of me (!), but I double checked with my shop and the rep before my frame shipped, and they said it would come exactly as it did.

Best of luck with it, and post up pics once you get 'er built!

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
i see, i found that chris king makes one as well, but Id suspect those would be quite pricey, im already broke from just buying the frame haha. you see, i broke my frame (06 SC V10) and cannot find a rear triangle, called SC and all of it, but no luck. all of this has to be done by saturday too...or in other words, the night before i leave for Nationals at Sol Vista, so im pressed for time. when i go into my shop tomorrow I'll have them ask the warehouse in cali if the bike has a headset, that way ill know weather or not i have to order something to go along with it.

thanks for the help =]
If you are really in a pinch you can borrow my M1. Still isnt built but have wheels, Crank,BB, Headset, seat and post in it? If you want to slide your 40 in there. Let me know. email me!:thumb:

altix

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
If you are really in a pinch you can borrow my M1. Still isnt built but have wheels, Crank,BB, Headset, seat and post in it? If you want to slide your 40 in there. Let me know. email me!:thumb:
Thanks Ian, I just talked with my shop (FH cyclery) and i think im good with most everything, iv got all the trimmings haha, thanks much

P.S. lets shoot some photos when I get back from CO, I know some sick new spots with the ocean in the backround!

altix

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
Im sorry but can you name 5 companies that have all that info listed on their website?Im bet you'll have a hard time.Im not saying it shouldn't be there for the public but many companies don't go that deep in that sort of details.

It's not Trek, its YOUR dealer buddy.If you cant find an answer to your questions,It should come down to them to talk with their rep and get that info for you.

Beside, I havent checked the website but I already knew the bike comes with a headset probably because Ive read that almost EVERYWHERE over the last few months.
agreed, my dealer doesnt know whats in the box bassicly, its just a standard session 88 large frame set. and im really not an avid reader of social MTB sites...but I might start knowing that this stuff is out their haha

altix

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
Just finished it, and yes Johnny P. It's came with everything you stated, thanks =] now check er out ;P

Last edited: