Quantcast

I got a summons for Jury Duty...

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Tell them you're an ultra con - pro death penalty - gun toting NRA member. I'm sure the defense will dismiss you.

It won't even be perjury.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I have heard that engineers are usually not asked to serve... too much into the facts and details and not emotional enough.

antimony

M.N.F. Beer Wench
Nov 21, 2005
North Carolina
I got called for jury duty two or three years ago, but couldn't go because of school. I was really disappointed; I think it would be so fun!

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
ThePriceSeliger said:
Tell them you LOVE CSI and Law and Order and watch it every night.
And that you thinks it real!

To be honest, I sat on a civil case once, and it wasn't so bad. As long as your work pays for it, it will be a nice vacation...

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
when i was called i was picked for a case, we broke for lunch , came back the people settled. they wanted us to go back and wait in that huge room to possibly be picked for another case, jokingly i said "come on we have been through so much today already" . the lady tells us "ok you can leave" and we didnt even have to come the next 3 days

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
jdschall said:
Tell them you're an ultra con - pro death penalty - gun toting NRA member. I'm sure the defense will dismiss you.

It won't even be perjury.
In Louisiana? N8 immediately becomes jury foreman, with a bid for executioner.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
sanjuro said:
In Louisiana? N8 immediately becomes jury foreman, with a bid for executioner.

Yeah you're probably right.

I can hear it now...

Judge: "as to the crime of stealing candy from a baby, Mr. foreman of the jury, what say yee?"

N8: "Guilty as charged - Hang 'em!"

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I got summoned a few months ago. I just had to call this number every day to see if they needed me. They go alphabetically and never got to my name. Sweet.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Echo said:
I got summoned a few months ago. I just had to call this number every day to see if they needed me. They go alphabetically and never got to my name. Sweet.
That's how it works here in Los Angeles county. I called and on the second day they called me in. I went in, read a book and watched the World Series on tele and went home after 7 or 8 hours. Duty served, see ya next year.

When I was a young punk I avoided it at all costs. Now I go because there has to be someone there to counteract all the N8s.

Interesting note: As I walked up to the courthouse in downtown LA I noticed that the Criminal Court building I was going into was hustling and bustling, while across the street the HALL OF JUSTICE (yes, it really exists!) was boarded up and closed. I wish I had a camera at that moment, the juxtaposition of the two buildings in their differing states would have been a sweet picture. As it is I thought it was an interisting commentary on (metaphor for) society today.

Edit: I don't think "commentary" is the word I am looking for. What word fits better?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
johnbryanpeters said:
"metaphor for"?
That works better, I think.

While it is very boring I do think that jury duty is something that everyone should do when called on. I would rather have dumb ass citizens deciding my fate rather than some politician. :p

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
My mom was on the jury for Project Pat's felony weapons possession charge. While most people outside of the south and Memphis specifically wouldn't know Project Pat, I thought it was pretty cool.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
laura said:
My mom was on the jury for Project Pat's felony weapons possession charge. While most people outside of the south and Memphis specifically wouldn't know Project Pat, I thought it was pretty cool.
i was searching for something witty and dumb to say, but it appears as if enough of that kinda stuff gravitates towards N8 threads anyways.
Besides now i'm curious, what the hell is project Pat?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Skookum said:
Besides now i'm curious, what the hell is project Pat?

Project Pat, convicted last month on federal weapons charges, is seeking a new trial, claiming that the judge and jury were improperly influenced by his lyrics. In a filing to the U.S. 6th Circuit Court of Appeals, defense attorneys argue that Judge Robert H. Cleland, a visiting federal jurist from Detroit, allowed images of guns in Project Pat's music to be used unfairly. During the trial, Pat's lawyers tried to limit questions about rap music or his lyrics on a claim of "protected speech." The defense also objected to using the term "gangsta rap," which prosecutors argued referred specifically to Pat's style of music. The judge sentenced Project Pat, whose real name is Patrick Houston, to four years and three months in prison. "We contend ... (Cleland) increased the sentence as a result of the lyrics of some of Mr. Houston's songs," defense attorney John E. Herbison of Nashville said this week. "I have some concerns ... as to whether that violates the First Amendment." Project Pat, a state felon convicted of aggravated robbery, was arrested in January 2001 when Memphis police looking for stolen sport utility vehicles pulled him over and found two loaded revolvers under a front floor mat in his Cadillac Escalade.