Quantcast

i got free gas today

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
I have learned that scrap yards pay good money for old car batteries. I stopped at a few auto shops and got 4, then stopped at a lake marina and found a few laying by the dumpster. I took them too. Scrap yard gave me $5 a battery. Made $40!!! Not bad when the driving was only 22 miles total for collecting batteries. I filled my tank and it cost me nothing. Gas was $4.23 for super (3.89 for regular!)

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
for all the crap you get, you definitely deserve some props for this.

Next thing you know PSP is going to be the CEO of some huge battery recycling conglomerate...... or dead because he got hungry and decided to eat a battery.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Have you considered the "work smart, not hard" approach? Most parked on the streets have batteries and hoods are easy to jimmy - find yourself a nice high density housing unit that isn't well lit at night. You do the math... just don't get caught.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
i also (i know its illegal dont give me crap) take my moms minivan up into ny for sporting events (biggest one is watkins glen's nascar race) and collect bags of deposit soda cans and cash in. I am going to start collecting old brake rotors, steel is by the ton but the rotors are heavy! Up in my area it's beat because its so spread out that I cant use a shopping cart to collect crap, i have to drive. Also most of the people up here commute threw mountain roads to get to work, many in nyc or that area. So brakes are always replaced.

skunkty14

Monkey
May 29, 2007
I would be careful about taking batteries, brake rotors, etc. from auto parts stores, garages and the like. They have those items laying around for the same reason you just found; they're worth money. So if you're not careful about where you're "finding" this stuff, you're just a thief. Not being a complete ass, just a word to the questionably wise.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
i ask before i take, the shops i work at are usually so busy they give it away if they can. sitting in a scrap line for an hour, to make $200 isn't worth it to them.

MTBstud12

Monkey
Jan 24, 2008
Tejas
I have learned that scrap yards pay good money for old car batteries. I stopped at a few auto shops and got 4, then stopped at a lake marina and found a few laying by the dumpster. I took them too. Scrap yard gave me $5 a battery. Made $40!!! Not bad when the driving was only 22 miles total for collecting batteries. I filled my tank and it cost me nothing. Gas was $4.23 for super (3.89 for regular!)
I wouldn't call that free! Ya still paid money dude. I guess you should be in the battery salvage business not the car racing world... It seems you have more success..

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I collect all my scrap metal in a corner of the shop. A guy comes around every week to pick it up. Brings us a $5 pizza from Little Ceasars or a 6pac of coke every time he picks up a good bunch of scrap. It's a symbiotic relationship.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Sounds like you are getting shafted....
Not really, considering I would normally toss it in the dumpster. In which case my trash company (EDCO) recycles it anyways. Instead of paying a big corp to recycle my scrap, I'm helping out a former bum and getting lunch at the same time.

He used to be the bum that lived in the alley behind my shop. I used to pay him $20 a week to keep the alley clean and to let me know if any drug dealers were hanging around. He even served as a witness when we caught someone breaking in. Nice guy, it was the alcohol that turned him bad. He went to rehab, found God, now he's upgraded from a shopping cart to an old toyota Hi-Lux truck.

Neat thing is that he even had me tune and smog his truck to get it registered. Paid me in cash so he must be doing ok now.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Not really, considering I would normally toss it in the dumpster. In which case my trash company (EDCO) recycles it anyways. Instead of paying a big corp to recycle my scrap, I'm helping out a former bum and getting lunch at the same time.

He used to be the bum that lived in the alley behind my shop. I used to pay him $20 a week to keep the alley clean and to let me know if any drug dealers were hanging around. He even served as a witness when we caught someone breaking in. Nice guy, it was the alcohol that turned him bad. He went to rehab, found God, now he's upgraded from a shopping cart to an old toyota Hi-Lux truck.

Neat thing is that he even had me tune and smog his truck to get it registered. Paid me in cash so he must be doing ok now.
Or he's the new dealer...

:poster_oops::biggrin::biggrin:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i also (i know its illegal dont give me crap) take my moms minivan up into ny for sporting events (biggest one is watkins glen's nascar race) and collect bags of deposit soda cans and cash in. I am going to start collecting old brake rotors, steel is by the ton but the rotors are heavy! Up in my area it's beat because its so spread out that I cant use a shopping cart to collect crap, i have to drive. Also most of the people up here commute threw mountain roads to get to work, many in nyc or that area. So brakes are always replaced.
sounds like somebody is practicing to be homeless!! :busted:

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
filled my trunk today with brake rotors got god awful gas mileage, also had 1 aluminium rim. Got $76 ! 1 tank of gas ($48) 1 bk value meal ($7) still have some left in my pocket.... no to just figure out why i dont start my own scrap yard.

MTBstud12

Monkey
Jan 24, 2008
Tejas
sounds like about 13 gallons of gas... lets say about 30 mpg ~400 Miles. Avg speed..60 mph.. Sounds like a sh!tty paying job to me.

FAIL. :plthumbsdown:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
sounds like about 13 gallons of gas... lets say about 30 mpg ~400 Miles. Avg speed..60 mph.. Sounds like a sh!tty paying job to me.

FAIL. :plthumbsdown:
Don't jump on him just yet.

Lets find out how long it took and how many miles he actually drove.

Keep in mind that he's out in the sticks and summer jobs are probably hard to come by. This may be his only shot at making some cash.

I applaud anyone with enough balls to take a stab at self-employment, especially a high school kid.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Don't jump on him just yet.

Lets find out how long it took and how many miles he actually drove.

Keep in mind that he's out in the sticks and summer jobs are probably hard to come by. This may be his only shot at making some cash.

I applaud anyone with enough balls to take a stab at self-employment, especially a high school kid.
Until he tells us, can we poke fun? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEEEEEEZZZZZEEE?

And PSP, for your sake, I hope that only took 2-3 hours of work, and maybe 20 miles of driving!

Although I do applaud your enterpenurial spirit!

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
27 miles of driving, farthest place was 3 miles away, the second place was across the street from my house and the third was on my way to the scrap yard, which happens to be across the street from the community college that i am taking classes at.... so i really waste no gas to complete my task, i would be passing the scrap yard no matter what. I just landed myself another job at a pet store as a temp job. I have a shop who wants to hire me as their AAA light roadside repair guy, but need to find a loophole in their insurance because I am only 17, they said the driver needs to be 18. Ill also be working a state fair in the carnival, great gig. i get to hustle little kids out of a few bucks and because its all cash there is no way to notice if i pocket an extra hundred every night.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
27 miles of driving, farthest place was 3 miles away, the second place was across the street from my house and the third was on my way to the scrap yard, which happens to be across the street from the community college that i am taking classes at.... so i really waste no gas to complete my task, i would be passing the scrap yard no matter what. I just landed myself another job at a pet store as a temp job. I have a shop who wants to hire me as their AAA light roadside repair guy, but need to find a loophole in their insurance because I am only 17, they said the driver needs to be 18. Ill also be working a state fair in the carnival, great gig. i get to hustle little kids out of a few bucks and because its all cash there is no way to notice if i pocket an extra hundred every night.
You were doing real well up to this point.
:plthumbsdown: :disgust1:

Monkeys- Let the bashing commence.