Quantcast

I got me a dooggy

gecko

I'm Batman
Jun 28, 2001
Toronto, Canada
He's an American Staffordshire. 2 years old - we got him from a doggie adoption agency yesterday. Great dog so far, I was out walking him with my gf today and he was awesome playing with the other dogs at the park. He's a little intimidating looking at first...then he comes up and licks you to death. :D

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Cool..

There is a three legged one of those near where I work and he is the happiest dog in the world.

gecko

I'm Batman
Jun 28, 2001
Toronto, Canada
MudGrrl said:
He looks intelligent.

I used to have a dog something like that, he was awesome....but very powerful. Didn't have a mean bone in his body though.
Yeah....he figured out how to open the door to our condo! Have to keep it locked from now on. :D

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
if yo uwere from my state the thread would be titled something like this "i got me a dawg"

Batman

Monkey
May 20, 2002
Mississauga
Or if you were from my province, your dog would now be considered by the government to fall under the broad spectrum of a "pit bull" and would legally have to be neutered/spayed, muzzled in public and always on a leash shorter than 1.8 meters. Risk euthanasia for your friend if you break the rules...
F*cking ridiculous.

gecko

I'm Batman
Jun 28, 2001
Toronto, Canada
Well...I am from your province...probably 20 minutes away. And yeah, it sucks. So far though I haven't seen any enforcement at all. It's ridiculous that these guys are classified as pit bulls too. They're a totally different breed, with a totally different personality.

I dunno...we'll see how it goes - how could anyone say no to this face? :D

flatulant_man

Monkey
Jun 19, 2004
Food Fondlers' Convention
ya, i got me a boarder collie. he's crazy. 4 colors in his eyes. one is all green, the other is split brown on bottom, white in the middle, and blue on top. also a little westy that is four and doesn't know how to lie down. :)

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
A pit-bull is an Am-Staff x'd with an American Bulldog. Am-staff's can be a bit goofy if not raised right.
Your new friend looks cool, but keep a very close eye on him around dogs that are much smaller or much larger and particularly around kids. You don't know what he was exposed to in the past.

gecko

I'm Batman
Jun 28, 2001
Toronto, Canada
Yep, but they really have much different personalities. He likes to play friendly with dogs of all sizes at the park, and doesn't mind getting poked in the eyes by little kids. We tested him a lot before we agreed to take him.

Even pitbulls aren't as bad as they're made out to be. It doesn't help that every drug dealer you see has one...and obviously has one for all the wrong reasons.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
gecko said:
Yep, but they really have much different personalities. He likes to play friendly with dogs of all sizes at the park, and doesn't mind getting poked in the eyes by little kids. We tested him a lot before we agreed to take him.

Even pitbulls aren't as bad as they're made out to be. It doesn't help that every drug dealer you see has one...and obviously has one for all the wrong reasons.

For the most parts dogs take on the predisposition of their owners. However your dog is related (or considered) depending on how technical you want to get, to a "Pit Bull." That means there are some inherent traits in your dog's brain. All Terriers were originally bread to hunt and kill their prey. If you just got him, I would certainly be weary for a little while longer to make sure he starts to take on your happy go lucky disposition.

My dog Oreo is a lab/"pit bull" (who knows exactly what, could be Boxer too) mix.

He has been going to the off leash dog park at least once a week since he was 4 months old (he will be 4 on May 5th) and is absolutely the best dog ever (ok that is subjective). Seriously though he is very social and used to being around other dogs (the dog park and my parents Toy Poodle and my sisters TeaCup Yorkie) and people. However I have seen in 2 instances when another dog wouldn't leave him alone where he just all of a sudden (provoked by the other dog) turned into some other dog and basically kicked some other dog's a$$. Honestly he scared the crap out of me, but he is very obedient so when I yelled he listened.

I am just saying, even if he is a "PitBull" they can be great dogs, just keep an eye on him and give it some time so you can get a feel for him.

gecko

I'm Batman
Jun 28, 2001
Toronto, Canada
Batman said:
Damn, didn't even notice you were from Toronto. Just to let you guys know, a "pit bull" is not a breed. It's a general term given to about five groups dogs and is highly mis-used by the media and now our government. There is a really really great article written here by someone who's done their research and knows their stuff:
http://www.4leggedlove.com/againstontariopitbullban.htm
Great article, lots of useful info. Thanks.

A well-bred one can also make a terrible sentry. It is more likely to beat someone to death with a wagging tail or drown in kisses!
So true!