Quantcast

I got me some cod to grill

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Frozen cod fillets were buy one, get two free at Big Y. I'd like to grill some tonight, but I'm not a very experience fish griller.

Anyone have any quick and easy recipes/suggestions for grilling this cod? And I plan to grill it tonight, so hurry the hell up with the suggestions.

:)

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Bake it with a few strips of bacon on top of the fish. Serious.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
grilling fish, for me anyway, is limited to fish who have very tight grain structure to their meat, if that makes sense. ie, stuff like salmon, tuna, swordfish. otherwise, it will fall and flake apart when you turn it (unless you have one of those gay baskets). alternatively, you can wrap the fish in foil and cook it that way (but it doesn't see direct flame, so why bother and just not use the oven?). actually, i've done that w/ whole sea bass and it works well (stuff the cavity w/ onion or fennel and lemon slices, adding in S&P and herbs, then double-pouch and grill).

for cod, i'd either roast it or do a pan-roast (cook it on the stovetop 1st, then transfer to a hot oven to finish). make a sauce (something like olives, capers and tomatoes would rock).

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
narlus said:
pet peeve...if you are cooking sweets in the oven, you are BAKING. if you are cooking meats in the oven, you are ROASTING.
Sweets include bread? Ahh never mind, I forgot the second rule of fight club: Never try to rationalize a pet peeve. :)

But yeah Cod is usually too delicate to take well to grilling. The char will overwhelm the taste and it will most likely fall apart if you don't have a fish basket. (Which, BTW, are pretty handy notwithstanding Narlus' comment, especially when cooking for a group.)

I think the bacon or pancetta wrap and pan roasting is a great idea.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Well I took narlus's advice and just put the cod in some tin foil and threw in on the grill. :D I didn't have a lot of time to prep, so I just threw some spices, olive oil, and lemon juice on it. It worked. The cod was pretty good. Nothing like a 180 calorie dinner. :rolleyes:

I still have two more packages of the frozen cod, so I'll try some of your bacon and non-bacon suggestions here in the near future. Thanks for the helps, :monkey:s.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
kidwoo said:
What about some contaminated brake pads sitting next to a nice custard pie topped with a pork chop?
And people think I am weird for referring to my dishwasher as a partwasher.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I made cod last week too! I roasted mine in the oven with a bit of olive oil, garlic, onion and lemon. Took it out and topped it with some salsa and montery jack cheese and roasted it for about 10 more minutes. Tasty! I served it with a side of vegetable couscous and a glass of merlot.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
narlus said:
alternatively, you can wrap the fish in foil and cook it that way (but it doesn't see direct flame, so why bother and just not use the oven?).
for cod, i'd either roast it or do a pan-roast (cook it on the stovetop 1st, then transfer to a hot oven to finish). make a sauce (something like olives, capers and tomatoes would rock).
Fish always gets cooked outside at our house unless it's seared scallops or beer boiled shrimp. If you leave the foil open you still get some of the smoke flavor to the fish....kinda like making your own gay basket.
That sauce sounds pretty good.
Here in Seattle, there's a place on the waterfront where you can get smoked fish and chips. Smoked cod and chips (giant potato wedges) and a glass of Sam Adams is one of my favorite lunches. The place has been there for as long as I can remember....30 plus years?
It's called 'The Salmon Cooker'.
Stay away from 'Steamers' (like that name makes anything sound appetizing) and Ivar's is just 'ok' if you're into deep fried f & c.