Quantcast

i got my dorado rebuilt now its seeping lots of oil

marlopez

Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
West LA
i got my 03 dorado rebuilt by manitou at mammoth last weekend. i know the stantions are supposed to be pretty oily. but this thing is seeping soo much oil. from what i understand he gave me new seals too. the fork perfors awesome but so much oil is dripping out. the first ride at mammoth it got all over my rims, brake, splattered all over the downtube and on my legs.
i just rode today. after putting new brake pads inand every once in a while id have to stop and wipe off the excess oil to prevent it from getting on my brake again.

so is this normal after a rebuild and will it eventually stop, or is something wrong?

freakrock

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Santiago de Chile
the damping cartidges are sealed inside the right stanchion, so it whould be really difficult for the oil to get out of it.
it seems to me that they put some oil in the fork legs (just for lubrication) and it's leaking because those seals aren't supposed to hold oil inside the fork, but to protect it from the dust.

Grizzle

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
La Crescenta, CA
That fork should have damping in both chambers, its TPC+ i believe. And if oil is leaking out of it like that, something is wrong. There should be nowhere near that amount of assembly oil, that is way too much.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
here is what could be happening as ive seen it happen several times

if your fork didnt have lubrication oil in it before being "rebuilt" then its very likely the seals are destroyed from friction and therefore they wont do much good in terms of keeping the lubrication oil out.

so, if its leaking from both sides, that might be it, youd have to put new seals in or revert to grease lubrication.

marlopez

Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
West LA
vitox said:
here is what could be happening as ive seen it happen several times

if your fork didnt have lubrication oil in it before being "rebuilt" then its very likely the seals are destroyed from friction and therefore they wont do much good in terms of keeping the lubrication oil out.

so, if its leaking from both sides, that might be it, youd have to put new seals in or revert to grease lubrication.
that makes sense beacause before i had been a while since it was serviced before this time. and it is leaking from both sides. but manitou said they gave me new seals. so what the heck? maybe he lied

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Mine does that too but it feels great so I just ran it all season. I would just top up the oil every once in a while as it would slowly leak out..
I'm sure something is wrong with it but it's a bit more difficult to get it worked on up here as I can't just show up at a race to get it rebuilt, I need to send it away for a few weeks (miss at least 1 race).

jmtf40

Chimp
May 30, 2005
marlopez said:
it just leaks onto my brakes. and that definitely sucks while youre riding
No, no. Thats too much. Obviously if it's ruining your brake pads that's unacceptable. I had some other problems with my spv dorado, but the guys at manitou treated me right , and they will definitely continue to get my business. I would send it off

MisterMental

Monkey
Jul 26, 2002
UK
have you lost rebound and compression damping? if so the seals in the tpc+ cart will be dead. if not they prob just put too much or too thin an oil in there.
check out orvens thread in the mechanic section to find out how to get them sorted

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
MisterMental said:
have you lost rebound and compression damping? if so the seals in the tpc+ cart will be dead. if not they prob just put too much or too thin an oil in there.
check out orvens thread in the mechanic section to find out how to get them sorted

cant be that as he is getting oil on his brake and the damper is on the opposite side.

its pretty simple really, the seals arent doing their job, new or not.