Quantcast

I got Sanchez's DNA results back!

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
...and after careful examination of his DNA by modern science, I'm proud to tell you that we still don't know WTF kind of dog he is. Apparently his DNA doesn't match up to any of the breeds this company "Canine Heritage" has on file.

$80 well spent. :rant:

Supposedly these guys are supposed to be able to tell what kind of dogs crossed to give you, your specific mut combination. No worky on Sanch the wonder dog.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
He is at the very least, not a combination of any of the following breeds, according to Canine Heritage:

Afghan Hound
German Shepherd
Akita
German Shorthaired Pointer
Basenji
Golden Retriever
Basset Hound
Greyhounds
Beagle
Italian Greyhound
Belgian
Tervuren
Labrador Retriever
Bernese Mountain Dog
Mastiff
Border Collie
Miniature Schnauzer
Borzoi
Pug
Boxer
Rottweiler
Bulldog
Saluki
Chihuahua
Samoyed
Chinese Shar-Pei
Shetland Sheepdog
Chow Chow
Shih-Tzu
Cocker Spaniel
Siberian Husky
Collie
St. Bernard
Dachshund
Standard Poodle
Doberman Pinscher
Whippet
English Setter
Yorkshire Terrier

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
That's because he's part princess.

J/k

Our vet was telling us they have these tests available and she thought it was funny that people paid for it.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
The problem is that we always look for two dogs. He could have four mutts as grandparents who all had four mutts for grandparents.

At that point, I think it's safe to say he's just a "dog".

edit: Having said that, he sure looks a lab in the face and ears.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
The problem is that we always look for two dogs. He could have four mutts as grandparents who all had four mutts for grandparents.

When people ask me what kind of dog he is, I just say "Brown"
Although I have had people come up to me and ask if he is Mountain Cur.

Anyway, yeah, I paid for it. Just curious what he was. Not any stupider than a "premium membership" on ridemonkey.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
He is also not a cat.
Bam, you owe me $80.

Ha, my wife wants to get a DNA test on our "pit bull" to see what kind of dog he is.
We were wondering what it would cost.
If I tell her it is $80 she will get it done, so of course, I am not going to tell her.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

The funny thing is if you have enough generations of mutts breeding with mutts they tend to start looking a lot like the wild dogs we bred them from. The genetic variability of the original wild dog is really quite amazing.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
If he has rot or mastiff in him, he's a very small version 75lbs. And lab, being the most common dog out there, would certainly be in there DNA data bank.
Bullmastiff, not mastiff. Bullmastiffs are smaller. I had a lab/bullmastiff mix as a kid and that dog is a dead ringer. Lab should be in the DNA bank, but maybe you got ripped.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN

You work for these people?

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
Did anyone else find it interesting that they didn't have a longer list of animals the data banks, or are we just not getting the full list?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
The funny thing is if you have enough generations of mutts breeding with mutts they tend to start looking a lot like the wild dogs we bred them from. The genetic variability of the original wild dog is really quite amazing.
I have heard this theory thrown about... but then I also know I've heard that dogs are simply domesticated wolves. Muts certainly don't get back to looking like wolves. Maybe dingos.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Did anyone else find it interesting that they didn't have a longer list of animals the data banks, or are we just not getting the full list?
In the little packet I got back from them, it said they're expanding the database to 75+ breeds... so I have to take another "swab" and they'll test it again later or something.
I dont actually understand why they couldn't just compare the first test results against whatever new info they get, but whatever. I already paid for it, so I guess I'll do it.

Also, they have an option where you can send a pic in to help them narrow things down too. I chose not to do this because, I don't want some guy's "opinion" of what it might be. I can look at a book of dog pictures and make a guess too, so I thought Id simply let the DNA stand alone.

We'll see what happens I guess.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
so why do people care what breed the dog is? I don't get it...D
I dont know, why do you care to spend your money on a toilet that conserves water when you live in a coastal rainforest where a shortage would never possibly be an issue, and why don't you care to vaccinate your children?

Fer ****s sakes, I dont really need to explain myself, I just thought Id share.

Edit:
I shouldn't have said these things above, because I really need to consider other people's life choices as more important and legitimate than I currently do, and Im not particularly adept at controlling my temper.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
sorry shirley
but you really should have spent the money on some beer.

honestly your dog is good dog why care where he's from?
Why care what's down that trail or around the next bend of the river? Why waste your time looking or caring? It's called being curious.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I dont know, why do you care to spend your money on a toilet that conserves water when you live in a coastal rainforest where a shortage would never possibly be an issue, and why don't you care to vaccinate your children?

Fer ****s sakes, I dont really need to explain myself, I just thought Id share.
It wasn't a sarcastic question but a legitimate question...I understand it if you planned on breeding or there were health issue but other that that I was curious....but it's ok you can continue to act like a sandy vag......D

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
so why do people care what breed the dog is? I don't get it...D
Probably for the same reason that people say "I'm italian/sicilian/scot/irish/russian" when they are 4-5 generations removed from someone from that actual ethnic group.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
It wasn't a sarcastic question but a legitimate question...I understand it if you planned on breeding or there were health issue but other that that I was curious....but it's ok you can continue to act like a sandy vag......D
Well I dont mean to be a dickhead but if you read the thread you'd see about 9 other posts exactly like yours asking the same question, which I've answered repeatedly.
I know everyone here is so much more enlightened than me, and knows much better ways to spend their hard earned dollars and spend their days, and that I only could hope to learn from the greatness of these people, so excuse me for posting such a stupid topic. I will try and learn.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Well I dont mean to be a dickhead but if you read the thread you'd see about 9 other posts exactly like yours asking the same question, which I've answered repeatedly.
I know everyone here is so much more enlightened than me, and knows much better ways to spend their hard earned dollars and spend their days, and that I only could hope to learn from the greatness of these people, so excuse me for posting such a stupid topic. I will try and learn.

I like the dog just fine. It's not like I was going to like him any more or less because I knew what breed he was. I was just curious about it. So sue me.
ok fair enough i missed this post.. I thought something might have been wrong with your dog...D