Quantcast

I got SCAMMED by Cooper Arnold

I wouldn't have posted this until his mom sent me an e-mail telling me to **** off, it's my fault, her son is a goodieboy, and threatening to file harassment charges against me.

Long story short, kid by the name of Cooper Arnold posts up an ad on Pinkbike's Buy&Sell for his "freshly rebuilt 2006 Boxxer World Cup" looking to trade for a single crown or sell.

I had a BRAND NEW Totem Coil that I offered to trade cause I needed a DC for my bike. He assures me that the only damage to his fork were 2 nicks on the lowers and a coil cartridge cause the Solo Air was leaking. We agree that he'll pay me gas money to get all the way out to Chilliwack.

March 16, 2008, we meet up and me, being the dumbass that I am, took his word and casually inspected the fork... I also completely forgot to get my gas money back too. Which sucked cause I went all the way out there JUST to pick up his fork.

It all seemed well till the next morning when I noticed that there was fork oil all over the Boxxer. Turns out it had NOT been rebuilt. That's fine I thought, whatever, chalk it up to learning experience and inspect goods better next time. Then I spent about $100 to rebuild the fork.

Several days ago, I e-mailed Tyler @ Pinkbike.com asking if he'd like to show me around Vedder to ride bikes. And just for ****s and giggles, asked if he knew this Cooper Arnold kid cause I was a little peeved at how he lied to me about the condition of the fork.

Tyler replied that he knew his brother, Spencer who worked at Jack's Cycle, and also noticed that the fork the kid gave me, was a BOXXER RACE WITH WORLD CUP LOWERS because his buddy sold the kid the fork. The kid bought the Giant DH frame and fork for cheap outside Pedal Sport and was INFORMED that it was not a World Cup, but a Race that needed some work.

Here is his bike:

At this point, I had that feeling in my gut when you just realized that you got ****ED.

So I sent him an e-mail POLITELY asking him what was the deal. I told him that I was seeking reimbursement for the cost to rebuild the fork, gas money which was MY FAULT for forgetting to ask for and the value difference between a World Cup and the POS Race that he gave me. I noted that the difference was large and because I wasn't a douche, told him that we can call things even at $200.

He replied back with the classic, "Well I'm too poor cause I'm 14 so you're only going to get the cost of the rebuild and your gas money back".

Then I didn't hear from him via e-mail. I left ONE polite message on his voice mail asking him to give me a call back and then this bombshell arrived...

His mom sent me an e-mail that claimed it was MY fault for not inspecting the fork over. My fault for forgetting to get gas money, which I had previously said was my fault anyway. My fault for suspending her son's account on PB which again, wasn't my fault cause it was Tyler @ PB who did all the awesome CSI work. My fault for not recognizing the fork was a Race and not a World Cup.

And topped it off with a big **** you, "you're not getting anything from us and I'll file harassment charges if you call, e-mail or contact us again."

This was all courtesy of:
Cooper Arnold
Chilliwack, BC
mtb_rider93@hotmail.com

I hate scammers. Even moreso when their PARENTS support and condone their actions.

:disgust1:

So in short, this post is a caveat emptor for all buyers and sellers out there.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Definitely contact the local police department.

His parents can't just inform you that it's harassment to contact them on a legitimate business transaction.

Call the police department, first of all. If they're willing to work with you on this, then get an email address from them. Email the parents (preferably a response to the email threatening legal action if you contact them) and copy the local police department. Say that since they're unwilling to talk to you, you're going to pursue other avenues and you have contact the local PD about the issue.

See if that gets a response. Don't let 'em walk away from this.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
just call the police-they will probably get everything sorted out. It MIGHT take some time but im sure that the police will side with you-and if not. the parents may get some kinda penalty for "harassment". I am no cop but im sure that there is at least 1 thing that was illegal.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
just call the police-they will probably get everything sorted out. It MIGHT take some time but im sure that the police will side with you-and if not. the parents may get some kinda penalty for "harassment". I am no cop but im sure that there is at least 1 thing that was illegal.
Almost a year ago dude.

SDH Racing

Monkey
Apr 5, 2006
NE
Sorry to hear about this, as you can see from the thread a few titles below I went though a similar ordeal as you've described here with a rider. Hope it works out for you, just take it a step at a time and things will get resolved, just be cool about it.