Quantcast

I got the standard "Two Weeks" from Santa Cruz...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
...that is, when I ordered it through Cambria...the new Chameleon I mean.

Seems they have limited stock of the lizards right now, so I got my arm twisted into getting a black one. A size large, of course.

:)

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
DRB said:
Okay I'm going out on a limb but I'm going to guess that your foot will be healed before the frame shows.

I know its a wild prediction but I'm like that.
Its entirely possible, and why I thought the "Two Weeks" line was pretty funny. I mean, I really dont care at the moment, I dont have the rest of the parts anyway.

Im going to dig dig dig, for cheap stuff, and try to make a badass trail bike. Hopefully by the end of august Ill have a nice bike.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
BurlyShirley said:
Its entirely possible, and why I thought the "Two Weeks" line was pretty funny. I mean, I really dont care at the moment, I dont have the rest of the parts anyway.

Im going to dig dig dig, for cheap stuff, and try to make a badass trail bike. Hopefully by the end of august Ill have a nice bike.
I've got some stylin' yellow onza barends......

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
The point of this thread wasnt to have random folks chime in to try and sell me crappy parts that I dont want. You know...in case you were wondering.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
sneakysnake said:
I thought you said you were going to dig for cheap parts.:)
I would say thats cheap for an XO. I dont mean to say that Im skimping for "cheap" parts, but rather scrouging for great deals on great parts.

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
BurlyShirley said:
I would say thats cheap for an XO. I dont mean to say that Im skimping for "cheap" parts, but rather scrouging for great deals on great parts.

Oh, ok just a bit of misunderstanding on my part. Forget what I've said then, and heal up good and have fun building the bike up.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
berkshire_rider said:
If you don't have a problem with running Shimano stuff, Jenson has the XTR for $99 and XT for $55. You could buy 3 XT's for the price of an XO off of Ebay.
Im not planning on buying shimano, cept for cranks. But that is a good deal. XTR cranks are going super cheap too.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
berkshire_rider said:
If you don't have a problem with running Shimano stuff, Jenson has the XTR for $99 and XT for $55. You could buy 3 XT's for the price of an XO off of Ebay.
All you need to learn is how to shift backwards...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
BurlyShirley said:
Im not planning on buying shimano, cept for cranks. But that is a good deal. XTR cranks are going super cheap too.
Hmm, most people are hating on the SRAM front deraillier I think.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
BurlyShirley said:
Really nice cranks, but you will get reamed when you need new rings. (About $250 at retail for a set, if you can still find them in a couple years.)

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Changleen said:
Hmm, most people are hating on the SRAM front deraillier I think.
I think people are hating on it because it doesnt fit most frames. I think performancewise it has been fine. Either way, an FD is an FD IMO. A deore is fine w/ me.

pepe

Monkey
Jun 13, 2006
North of the border
BurlyShirley said:
I think people are hating on it because it doesnt fit most frames. I think performancewise it has been fine. Either way, an FD is an FD IMO. A deore is fine w/ me.
I think the performance on them was awful. I don't know what the chameleon uses, but if it's a 31.8, I have a nearly new XTR that will be priced right.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
pepe said:
I think the performance on them was awful. I don't know what the chameleon uses, but if it's a 31.8, I have a nearly new XTR that will be priced right.
the seat post is 30.9, its ~34

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
BS, did you check with www.speedgoat.com before you ordered from Cambria? They are a stocking dealer so there's an outside chance they'd have your size in stock. You'd also get free shipping and I believe they prep every frame they sell for no charge.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
moff_quigley said:
BS, did you check with www.speedgoat.com before you ordered from Cambria? They are a stocking dealer so there's an outside chance they'd have your size in stock. You'd also get free shipping and I believe they prep every frame they sell for no charge.
No, I didnt. Like I said, I dont mind waiting, as I cant ride, and I'll be doing my own frame prep.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Man I'd be scared as hell ordering something from Cambria that they didn't have in stock. :eek: For stuff they have they're fine but I get a feeling you're never gonna see that frame.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Cool you didn't wait for SC 2 weeks. By that time your foot would have healed and you would have broke the other by the time the frame arrived.

Should be a great bike for what you plan to do with it.:)

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Echo said:
Man I'd be scared as hell ordering something from Cambria that they didn't have in stock. :eek: For stuff they have they're fine but I get a feeling you're never gonna see that frame.
Well they dont charge you for anything until it ships, so its really a non issue.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
moff_quigley said:
:stupid:

a few years ago I had a rootbeer Chameleon on order for MONTHS, always getting the standard issue lame excuse for delays. Finally I started calling around to shops. Speedgoat had new frames in stock in my size (L) in 3 colors (but not rootbeer). They shipped a black frame that day, and I received the frame ready to build. HT and BB faced, threads clean and to my surprise the rear disc tabs were faced. Speedgoat is a great shop. :thumb:

Having said all that, if I'd have only bought a medium I would likely still have my Chameleon. :mumble: :D

pepe

Monkey
Jun 13, 2006
North of the border
Echo said:
It would be liking soaking in blood and then diving in the shark tank, but maybe he'll get lucky. Luck is the only intervention on his side right now. :think:

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Even if Speedgoat doesn't have your frame in stock and you have to wait anyway...

Cambria: More money, less service.

Speedgoat: Less money, more service.

Speedgoat for the win. But hey it's your money.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
moff_quigley said:
Even if Speedgoat doesn't have your frame in stock and you have to wait anyway...

Cambria: More money, less service.

Speedgoat: Less money, more service.

Speedgoat for the win. But hey it's your money.
Speedgoat doesnt have one in stock either, just to let you know.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
it may be two weeks.
but they didn't tell you WHICH two weeks.

it could be two of the weeks next august.

kind of like a couple of years ago when i made the error of dealing with beyond bikes.
and kept hearing, "we're expecting it on our loading dock any day now."

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Cambria has been good w/ me in the past. If they screw it up, I'll go elsewhere. Like I said, I cant ride anyway.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
BurlyShirley said:
Cambria has been good w/ me in the past. If they screw it up, I'll go elsewhere. Like I said, I cant ride anyway.

You're not fooling us with this calm demeanor. We know you are pulling a Knuckleslammer and trying to change reality. :oink:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I really like the direction you are taking with your bike, Burley. I am really interisted to see it when it's done and hear about how she rides.