Quantcast

I gots me a P-P-P-P-P-P-P-POWERBOOK on the way!

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
gotta love macs. my dad finally set up our imac g5 with 20" monitor tonight. so far i love it. plus we got it for $1000 which is an insane deal. gotta love student discounts.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
cool machine. my school decided to make laptops mandatory for incoming first years, but i'm a second year so have no such excuse to buy a shiny powerbook :( heh

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Ridemonkey said:
Welcome to the team!

Its been a helluva ordeal trying to get it too. It was SUPPOSED to be here by this monday, but I foudn out they hadn't even ordered it yet. So I raised some hell, and It got ordered, and should be here next week sometime :)

Aug 2, 2005
The Island
I too am a convert. After spending a year using macs at school I switched this past winter and scooped up a 17' iMac G5. I will never go back to a pc. And then a few weeks back I picked up a iBook for the road (while it's no Powerbook it gets the job done. Welcome to the club BigMike

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
You'll love it. I got an iMac g5 last year & we just got La an iBook. We will never buy another PC....EVER!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
BigMike said:
anyone know where I can get some "for evaluation purposes only full version software?"

:D
you're in school, no? buy the academic versions. or if you post up what kind of software you need i can try to suggest an open source (that is, free and possibly Free, too) alternative.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
My family has had a mac since 1991, and they just keep getting better. I'm planning on getting an iBook, but the powerbook is drool-worthy; good choice my fellow monkey.

stinky|Dan

Monkey
Aug 3, 2002
Yep, i've been running a 12incher for almost a year now and i cannot fault it. Just make sure you have a nice sturdy bag to carry yours in because i used one with a crappy strap that broke and sent my bagm plummeting to the ground. Guess what? ONe cornder of the powerbook all bent in. Sucky.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Toshi said:
you're in school, no? buy the academic versions. or if you post up what kind of software you need i can try to suggest an open source (that is, free and possibly Free, too) alternative.
Yeah, the acedemic versions are cheap, but I spent all my money on the computer.

I'm looking for office, and Adobe CS

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
BigMike said:
Yeah, the acedemic versions are cheap, but I spent all my money on the computer.

I'm looking for office, and Adobe CS
Does you school offer software discounts? I got office for $10 and Maple 9.5 for $75; it's worth looking into.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
kinghami3 said:
Does you school offer software discounts? I got office for $10 and Maple 9.5 for $75; it's worth looking into.
where do you get this discounted? apple store?

erastusboy

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
I got adobe cs at the campus store for $180. Had to switch to a pc though, stupid alias. I hate it !

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
kinghami3 said:

Office for $10?!?! At my school store its $130!

But they do have Final Cut Studio for $499 :D

TN, yes, you can get the discount at any apple store, just show your student ID. ALso, most colleges have a computer store where they offer the discounts

BUCKET

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
Rocktown, VA
BigMike said:

HAHAHAHA again, I got Office 03 for free through work....mines better than yours mines better than yours. :D :D :D :D :D

Kidding - it doesn't matter which powerbook you get they are all freaking amazing. Wireless was very easy to hook-up as well, I thought it was going to be a pain if you didn't use the apple airport basestation.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
BUCKET said:
HAHAHAHA again, I got Office 03 for free through work....mines better than yours mines better than yours. :D :D :D :D :D

Kidding - it doesn't matter which powerbook you get they are all freaking amazing. Wireless was very easy to hook-up as well, I thought it was going to be a pain if you didn't use the apple airport basestation.
Yeah, but yours wasn't office '04. Mine is newer, and therefor better. :D

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
BigMike said:

But they do have Final Cut Studio for $499 :D

TN, yes, you can get the discount at any apple store, just show your student ID. ALso, most colleges have a computer store where they offer the discounts
Dang, no Final Cut Pro, only Microsoft software. That's what happens when you go to a private school in Seattle.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
Macs kick ass. The computer guy at my work spent hours setting up this computer before finishing, getting up, and telling my boss to get a Mac. Today that computer crashed and is no longer internet-capable, and I'm bringing in my iBook from now on.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
I use Macs and PCs every day at work and my 15" Powerbook is easily the best computer I've ever had. Worth every penny.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
so far im loving the mac that my family bought. my only gripes are with ichat but they arent a big deal and i can just download aim if i really get bugged by ichat.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
gnurider1080 said:
so far im loving the mac that my family bought. my only gripes are with ichat but they arent a big deal and i can just download aim if i really get bugged by ichat.
or you could use Adium or Fire.app

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
SkaredShtles said:
All you Mac-ophiles will have no choice but to "own a PC" pretty soon........... :p
not those who already own macs & that'll just be under the hood.
I suspect OSX will still rock & roll.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
TN said:
not those who already own macs & that'll just be under the hood.
I suspect OSX will still rock & roll.

I grew up with Macs and PCs and pretty much know each inside and out. I was always a hardcore PC user, and ALWAYS gave my mom a hard time about Macs (She has always used them, she's a teacher and her school system is Mac based)

But once I used OSX, that was pretty much all over with! OSX is quite possibly the best OS of all time. Its *nix based with a pretty GUI, and really stable. I'm really impressed with it, hence, my first mac purchase.

Now, the question is, Can I take my moms old G3 Tower, and convert it into a dual G5 :drool:

I know you can, but it'd be almost as much as just buying a new one!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
it wouldn't be worth it. even G4s are hobbled by their slow front side buses: my g4 is only 133 mhz FSB :(