Quantcast

I gotta quit riding with good riders

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Had my Wednesday night club ride tonight... had a ton of people show up so we broke up into about 5 groups. I intentionally went with a group that I thought would challenge/push me just a bit. Turned out they kicked my arse, especially on climbs.

And to try to make up for my slowness on climbs, I really pushed it on the downhills. Took 2 flats (pinch flats), and went OTB once - landed very hard. I'm definitely going to be hurting in the morning, but hopefully it will make me a stronger rider in the end.

Fortunately, I'll be riding with Stosh all weekend at MBW, so I shouldn't have to worry about much.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Tweek said:
No, jackson, you're doing the right thing. Trust me.
I agree with Tweek - when I was first starting out - riding with the likes of IAB, MBC, Jollytime, Splat, SLOMOJO, etc. etc. definitely helped me improve, learn and push myself.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Progression is fine, and being pushed is all well and dandy. But learning and knowing limits and having the wisdom to not push beyond the threshold where injury and frustration lie is the key to being a happy biker.
I rode with some pals yesterday who i am better than, and i still push myself, and have a great time offering advise and encouragement. I rode with some rider's who are semi-pro today and had a blast eating their mud and watching them disappear into the tree's.
Having fun on the bike is my main concern, everything else just happens on it's own, including progression. Over-worrying about technical skills unless you are just uncannily godlike or over-worrying about being a mountain goat if you're last name isn't Armstrong just seems a good way to getting fed up with mt. biking to me.
I'm not saying don't set goals and not challenge yourself, i really have fun becoming a better technical rider, but it's just one peice of the puzzle....

Sorry i just got done with a ride i guess it tends to make me long winded and philosophical....

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Skookum said:
Progression is fine, and being pushed is all well and dandy. But learning and knowing limits and having the wisdom to not push beyond the threshold where injury and frustration lie is the key to being a happy biker.
<snip>
Having fun on the bike is my main concern, everything else just happens on it's own, including progression.
You are a wise, wise man. How did you get so wise? Are you Middle Age or something?

It's funny how, over time, with enough riding (of a technical nature) one simply becomes proficient at this thing we call mountain biking. It's alot like skiing in that regard - time on/in the hills is what makes you good. There is no substitute for seat time.

That said - I still find lots of stuff that I take a look at and say "Yeah, I'll walk that" :)

-S.S.-

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
jacksonpt said:
Fortunately, I'll be riding with Stosh all weekend at MBW, so I shouldn't have to worry about much.
Ouch! :p

You know what they say...What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Of course, there's the flip side of that...it could kill you. :devil:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Don't worry riding with me and Jeff this weekend will help you keep your promise to yourself.

J

JRB

jacksonpt said:

BAHHHHHH - He says stosh sucks azz. :D

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Skookum again."

Good stuff Skooks. I ride with all types but prefer riding with better riders. I like having people inspire me to push my limits. The trick for me is figuring out the balance between pushing for my own progression and pushing because of a competitive, macho drive to be better than (or at least hang with) whoever I'm riding with. The latter is when things usually go wrong.

pepe

Monkey
Jun 13, 2006
North of the border
I have become smart enough to watch in awe when really good riders hit tough stuff. On climbs, I try to hang. On drops, I will slow down. It was refreshing to see DNA have much the same mentality as me. It made riding with new peeps much more fun.

I still look at big stuff that people hit in disbelief. I will always lean to caution so I can be well enough to ride, instead of propping up on the couch.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
SkaredShtles said:
Wow this thread is really old...... :think:

I still approve of Skook's advice! :thumb:
How is Skooks gonna take a dump with your head up there?
Ha, I agree though. Good advice.
You don't need other people to push yourself either.
Out of all the types of riding I do, I jack myself up the most trailriding alone.:mumble:
My last three bad crashes that I limped away from, all came from pushing too hard on my local trails.
Let's see, I have had two bad crashes in regular corners, and the other most recent one I football tackled a tree with my shoulder when my hand slipped of the bar.
I can get down world class Dh courses just fine, but look out for the flying bonehead at a local trail near you.:nonono:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Jeremy R said:
I can get down world class Dh courses just fine, but look out for the flying bonehead at a local trail near you.:nonono:

I tend to jack myself up on simple stuff more than anything else too. It's a concentration/focus thing for me.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
OGRipper said:
I tend to jack myself up on simple stuff more than anything else too. It's a concentration/focus thing for me.
Get this - I "crashed" at Deer Creek yesterday at the top of a gnarly climb that I'd pushed my bike up....... I was standing on the wrong side of the bike to get on, so I moved around the back tire to get on the other side. Somehow got tangled up moving around my bike and tipped over on a rock. :confused: How the fvck does that happen?