Quantcast

I guess this proves it then...

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Just remember this when you are feeling sorry for yourself and wishing you made more money...

Money really doesn't buy happiness, study finds
Feb 13 12:19 PM US/Eastern

Money doesn't buy happiness, and now there's a study to prove it. Australian researchers found that people in well-off Sydney are among the most miserable in the country, while those in some of the poorest areas are much more satisfied with their lives.

"Only at very, very high levels does money actually have any impact to act as a buffer," said Deakin University researcher Liz Eckerman.

"Money doesn't actually buy happiness and that's what was shown very clearly for the nearly 23,000 people we've interviewed so far," she told ABC radio.

The findings, collated since 2001, show that while there are no extremes of well-being in Australia, the happiest areas had a lower population, more people aged 55 or over, more women, more married people and less income inequality.

The survey assessed a person's satisfaction with their standard of living, health, relationships, life achievement, safety, community connection and future security.

Robert Cummins, a professor of psychology at Deakin who compiled the survey's scorecard, put the difference down to the higher cost of housing and high population density in cities.

"People in these rural electorates often have the advantage of additional disposable income since the cost of living, particularly housing, tends to be reduced outside the cities," he told The Australian newspaper.

Of the 150 national electorates surveyed, one of the nation's poorest, Wide Bay in rural Queensland, was among the happiest.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Yep... Ive always said that money cant buy you happiness, but it sure can buy you a lot of airplane tickets to go look for it :dancing:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
""Only at very, very high levels does money actually have any impact to act as a buffer," said Deakin University researcher Liz Eckerman. "

makes sense. I could bust my ass and make another $15-20k/year, but that kind of money wouldn't compensate for the extra hours worked and loss of "life".

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
the only way that money has made me happy is....
-being able to buy the gear to do the things I want (biking, climbing)
-not worrying about my housing/electrical/food/hospital bills

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I worked my ass off for 15 years after college, made some nice money, went though 3 wives. I make less money now, but won't work 1 minute of OT, and I am so much happier. The lack of a wifey helps too...

:dancing:

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
MudGrrl said:
the only way that money has made me happy is....
-being able to buy the gear to do the things I want (biking, climbing)
-not worrying about my housing/electrical/food/hospital bills
i agree.. as long as i make enough to live comfortably im good.. well maybe a little extra to support my bike habit

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
stinkyboy said:
I worked my ass off for 15 years after college, made some nice money, went though 3 wives. I make less money now, but won't work 1 minute of OT, and I am so much happier. The lack of a wifey helps too...

..and the booze... don't forget the booze...

J

JRB

stinkyboy said:

You must be really hard to live with, holmes.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
stinkyboy said:

Amen.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
loco said:
You must be really hard to live with, holmes.
I was just never there. I'd work 12-16 hours and then hit the bar with my coworkers for a couple hours to unwind. And of course, the wives never understood me...

:rolleyes: :p