Quantcast

I had to laugh ... String Theory

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Definition:

string theory

string theory, description of elementary particles based on one-dimensional curves, or "strings," instead of point particles. Superstring theory, which is string theory that contains a kind of symmetry known as supersymmetry, shows promise as a way of unifying the four known fundamental forces of nature. The strings are embedded in a space-time having as many as 10 dimensions–the three ordinary dimensions plus time and seven compactified dimensions. The energy-scale at which the stringlike properties would become evident is so high that it is currently unclear how any of the forms of the theory could be tested.

See P. C. W. Davies and J. Brown, ed., Superstrings (1988).

Watch KCTS ( PBS) a couple days ago and watch guys discuss the magic that is string theory. Pretty freaky stuff.....but I guess it is set to change our world. It must have been the NOVA program

Yet some how I feal the creator of Star Trek is laughing in his grave. Some strange stuff indeed.

Maybe the program didn't do it justice....it was a bunch of cool special effects and computer animated stuff though.

For more info:

www.superstringtheory.com
www.lassp.cornell.edu/GraduateAdmissions/greene/greene.html
www.physics.ucsb.edu/~jpierre/strings/index.html
www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Ah, a unified theory. Makes me tingle where I pee. I am actually reading the book version of the Elegant Universe.

So I am a geek, want to fight about it?

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
RhinofromWA said:
The energy-scale at which the stringlike properties would become evident is so high that it is currently unclear how any of the forms of the theory could be tested.
which is super lame imo. until then it's just a bunch of theorists flapping their wrists and going on talk shows.

westy, have you read "surely you're joking, mr. feynman"?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Toshi said:
which is super lame imo. until then it's just a bunch of theorists flapping their wrists and going on talk shows.

westy, have you read "surely you're joking, mr. feynman"?

I bet if they put a can of Redbull into a supercollider they will obtain the required energy levels :). And no I have not read said book.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
it's a fun read. richard feynman was a ladies' man, an amateur lock picker, and a prankster when he wasn't doing physics.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
Westy said:
Ah, a unified theory. Makes me tingle where I pee.
There are some other reasons for that.

I got to see the first part of the program in physics class--fascinating stuff--and I really want to finish it. Class ended just before they got into what it really is, beyond the definition.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Westy said:
Ah, a unified theory. Makes me tingle where I pee. I am actually reading the book version of the Elegant Universe.

So I am a geek, want to fight about it?
haha you're on fire.....

i watched a show on Nova about it, i couldn't get my small mind around the concept at all. Once i get a whiff of the smoke emnating from my ears, it was time to flip the channel to basketball or somethin....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Skookum said:
haha you're on fire.....

i watched a show on Nova about it, i couldn't get my small mind around the concept at all. Once i get a whiff of the smoke emnating from my ears, it was time to flip the channel to basketball or somethin....
I said tingle, not a burning sensation.

To first appreciate a unified theory you must understand the current gap in knowledge, the clash between quantum mechanics and newtonian physics. Read a brief history of time. It really is a great book and easy to understand even if you don't have a strong science background. It personally gave me a new found wonder for the world we live in.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I concur about the Feynman books. They're really great.

His best books are the Feynman Lectures on Physics though...but they're not as fun to read. ;)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Westy said:
To first appreciate a unified theory you must understand the current gap in knowledge, the clash between quantum mechanics and newtonian physics. Read a brief history of time. It really is a great book and easy to understand even if you don't have a strong science background. It personally gave me a new found wonder for the world we live in.
Haha "read a book"...... you're crackin me up. :p :monkey:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Skookum said:
Haha "read a book"...... you're crackin me up. :p :monkey:
lol

The funniest thing is I watched that program.......and had no clue at what any of that math work on the chalkboard in the background meant.....or even if it meant anything. :D It could have been made up (ironically the string theory is) and was not meant to mean anything but to make the people interviewed to look like math bad arses. :)

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
RhinofromWA said:
lol

The funniest thing is I watched that program.......and had no clue at what any of that math work on the chalkboard in the background meant.....or even if it meant anything. :D It could have been made up (ironically the string theory is) and was not meant to mean anything but to make the people interviewed to look like math bad arses. :)
My dad's got a bachelor's in physics, and he said that in most movies with math stuff on the board, it's usually "basic" college-level physics equations or stuff like that. I wouldn't know the difference, so I'll take his word for it.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Tully said:
My dad's got a bachelor's in physics, and he said that in most movies with math stuff on the board, it's usually "basic" college-level physics equations or stuff like that. I wouldn't know the difference, so I'll take his word for it.
Haha.....it is all Greek to me.