Quantcast

I has a bell

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
So in Germany it is "required" that you have a bell on your bike(s) to alert those on the trail of your presence. I left them on mine...and have gotten into the habit of using them on blind corners and when passing folks here, just as I did there. Today, that probably saved me a trip to the ER. Was climbing a section on the Connector trail in Auburn, and this guy came screaming down the hill, cutting corners tightly. He locks them up, slides to his right and keeps going. Dick move, doesn't stop or say anything...just keeps going. Saw several other groups on trail, dinged the bell and said heyhowyadoin to all of them, got smiles and waves back from them all. Wish I saw the superstar again...woulda beat his skinsuit bloody...

Think I will keep my bell...

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
So in Germany it is "required" that you have a bell on your bike(s) to alert those on the trail of your presence. I left them on mine...and have gotten into the habit of using them on blind corners and when passing folks here, just as I did there. Today, that probably saved me a trip to the ER. Was climbing a section on the Connector trail in Auburn, and this guy came screaming down the hill, cutting corners tightly. He locks them up, slides to his right and keeps going. Dick move, doesn't stop or say anything...just keeps going. Saw several other groups on trail, dinged the bell and said heyhowyadoin to all of them, got smiles and waves back from them all. Wish I saw the superstar again...woulda beat his skinsuit bloody...

Think I will keep my bell...
should have kicked the bitch over the side as he went by

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
The Hopes are on another bike...

Seriously tho, is it that hard to just be cool to others you meet on the trail?
It is for a moron. Some think that the sport growing is a good thing. I saw the same thing in BMX, and it's not a good thing! Everyday assholes, who would have otherwise picked something stupid to match their personality are now into the sport. It's great for companies and people who love bikes to make a living off of it, but the demographic of core people who love the sport and are generally cool is watered down severely by selfish idiots.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My idea was a old door bell I rescued. 9v system. Horn mounts on your fork. Looks badass too. The bar mounted button was Red. I tried to add a flash element which I scabbed from a disposable camera. It started on fire and was a onetime use only option as I couldn't figure out how to integrate it into the switch. The switch has since melted. I haven't figured out why. I am thinking my design abilities are not as good as I may have led myself to believe.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Sadly trail conflict is becoming the norm on trails populated by Dirt Roadies. They take themselves way too seriously.

I try to ride more technical trails that scare them away. But unfortunately there are not enough trails in my area where I can completely avoid them.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
Sadly trail conflict is becoming the norm on trails populated by Dirt Roadies. They take themselves way too seriously.

I try to ride more technical trails that scare them away. But unfortunately there are not enough trails in my area where I can completely avoid them.
The bikes are getting too good. The dentists have found their way onto rough trails, even!

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
It was busy on the trails yesterday. I always slow down and say "hi". Hikers are usually pretty cool about meeting, but some are just clueless. Headphones, dogs off leash, etc... Those people can tish ym tea.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
Had a closer-call descending than I would have liked with a bike rider the other day. Scary thing was, that 50 yards back was a horse, three dogs and two elderly women. It was a blind fall away corner, so braking power wasn't good... It was a good wake-up call for me to slow down on the multi-use, as hard as that can be. I can't imagine these idiots giving it all they got trying to KOM out there.
Definitely reigning it in on that trail even more, and considering a bell for blind spots.

Last edited: