Quantcast

I hate beer. Yes. All beer.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
visitor said:
Guinness in Ireland is not the same Guinness that you get in the US.

That aside, Blue, you just need to try a bunch of different styles and find one that best suits your tastes. There are so many styles out there! I have never liked light beers, or wit beers. I almost always stick with ales, usually IPA's, Stouts or Pales. The more bitter / hoppy the better for me!
Have you visited the IPA thread below? It's a good one!

-S.S.-

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
blue said:
And they have people that AREN'T Momo in Cedar City?! Amazing...

Yeah but 99% of them are. I'm not and it makes for one strange experience. Glad I am not from here. Back in TN you didn't have to drink a 30 pack just to get a buzz. Utah beer sucks serious balls.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
gschuette said:
Yeah but 99% of them are. I'm not and it makes for one strange experience. Glad I am not from here. Back in TN you didn't have to drink a 30 pack just to get a buzz. Utah beer sucks serious balls.
3.2% all the way, biatch!

Maybe that's why I like hard liqour so much...it's a pain in the ass to get drunk off of beer here.

NickZ

Chimp
Dec 23, 2004
Sydney
I can't stand Newcastle either, it's really flat beer. Guiness in Ireland was something I had to do while I was there, but it was still pretty dirty. I've heard Guinness is an acquired taste, and people who enjoy it swear by it. I think Bohemia is great, Pilsner Urquell, Beck's, Hahn Premium, I'm into the lighter coloured beers as they taste like a drink, not a meal (see Guinness). Just my take on it. Maybe you just had a bad start blue, just stick at it. :)

vtrider

Monkey
Apr 11, 2005
vermont
i went to this party the other night, and there was sooo much dos equis... that stuff is nectar for the gods. My friend just got back from a trip to mexico, he said they hand it out down there, its always the free beer samples and stuff. plus he stayed in a resort that was "all enclusive" so he got free drinks from the bar, and free restarunt food. Basically he sat around on the beach, drank, partied, and generally had a good time. Bastard. :mumble:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
vtrider said:
i went to this party the other night, and there was sooo much dos equis... that stuff is nectar for the gods. My friend just got back from a trip to mexico, he said they hand it out down there, its always the free beer samples and stuff. plus he stayed in a resort that was "all enclusive" so he got free drinks from the bar, and free restarunt food. Basically he sat around on the beach, drank, partied, and generally had a good time. Bastard. :mumble:
Dos equis? Blech. Worse than Newcastle.............. :p

-S.S.-

Edit: Of course, it's not an ale, so YMMV

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
hate beer. hate beer. hate beer. hate beer. hate beer. hate beer. hate beer. hate beer.hate beer. hate beer. hate beer. hate beer.hate beer. hate beer. hate beer. hate beer.

um nope just cant do it :D

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Skookum said:
Anyways before i changed my wicked ways and became the tea totaller i am today i actually acquired a taste for Widmere Heffeviessen Wheaten Ale. Squeeze the lemon in your glass and bottoms up.
Paulaner Hefeweizen or Hacker-Pschorr Dunkelweizen are more yummy in my opinion.

Also, I gotta agree with Fathead on the citrus- fruit in your beer indicates that you are either a chick, a yuppy or an essay* w/a brown-bagged sixer of skunked Coronas.

*spelled that way on purpose

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
berkshire_rider said:
You aren't drinking the right kind. There are plenty that will get you effed up fairly quickly. Keep experimenting.
Nonono...you see, I live in Utah, where the only alcohol outside of a State Liqour Store is 3.2%. Otherwise, if you're in a liqour store, you might as well buy hard stuff and wine over beer...I'm not even sure if they have 6-7% beer in liqour stores.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
berkshire_rider said:
I forgot about the low beer alcohol % thing. You should have tried stronger stuff when you were at the Sea Otter. :evil:
I did!

I think they were all ales, but I hated them all...

Speaking of which, how much is a cheap pitcher of Budweiser in other parts of the country? I work at a pizza place with a (very hard to come by and rare) liqour license, and a pitcher is like $6.00...

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Pitchers of beer used to be a bargain at bars / restaurants, but it seems like they are up there in $$$ pretty much everywhere, unless you go to a local dive bar when it's $3 pitcher night. (College towns come to mind).

Stick to pints of micro-brews. I can't speak for Utah, but in the Northeast most micro-breweries have a "sampler" where you get a small glass of everything the currently have on tap. It's a good way to find out what you do or don't like.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
dos equis, good god man that stuff blows. I don't know about you guys but pitchers of cheap beer are still 3 bucks by me...but I don't see the sense in paying 3 bucks for something that tastes like they put hops in for about half a second and then put it straight into a can. I cant believe there are alcohol content limits on beer for a whole state....that means you cant have any of the good scottish ales or anything, what a shame.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
I kinda was the same way when I first started. Had to ween myself onto beer. The first time I got drunk was in college...didn't know the difference between liquor and beer...so when some one offered me a slug from a bottle of Malibu I hit it ...found it to be tasty ...and chugged the whole bottle. I recall head butting a wooden table hard enough to knock over other people's drinks.

But yeah I didn't like beer at first....and had to ween myself to it by drinking *gasp* ...Bartle's and James' Wine Coolers. Now...all I drink is beer...no wine, champagne, or liquor.

audj

Chimp
Apr 23, 2005
I remember liking Mickeys before beer. it's malt liquor, which i know nothing about really, but it doesn't have any aftertaste at all. Also, Henry Weinhards is pretty mild on aftertaste, so it might be a good "training" beer. don't give up. i can't stand the thought of someone going their entire life w/o enjoying a good beer. trust me i used to hate beer as much as anyone...i used to hate guinness, but now i really appreciate the flavor...trust me once you get used it different beers have distinct flavors and qualities and are really worth the initial pain. i don't drink anything but beer now. so drink up!

audj

Chimp
Apr 23, 2005
p.s. Ef Utah. I'm sorry, i hate to be the one starting the Utah bashing, but that is just ridiculous. Beer is "safer" than hard liquor anyway, so having good beer instead of liquor is the best way to keep children out of trouble.

crono35

Monkey
Feb 11, 2002
irvine
The first time i ever had beer was when my roomie's bro made me drink an irish car bomb. I'll admit that at the time it didn't taste that great, but now that i think back on it, it wasn't too bad. My roomies also like corona with lime, but i've personaly never tried taht.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Corona with lime is becoming my new favorite. perhaps because the weather is reaching the 90s now, and heavy, dark beer is just not what i am wanting.

had my first jello shot last night.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
the Inbred said:
Corona with lime is becoming my new favorite. perhaps because the weather is reaching the 90s now, and heavy, dark beer is just not what i am wanting.

Corona and lime? Damn. I bet it's nice on a hot day....Nancy.... :)

I just make fun of anyone that drinks that, even though I like it :rolleyes: . Just sort of a policy.

It is summer beer time now. I just bought a sixer of Otter Creek Middlebury Ale (my favorite brewery, mostly cause it's local and they have some variety). A bit lighter than I like but I do enjoy the way it smells and the pronounced blueberry and elderberry flavors.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
I like the taste of beer, but that's just me. There's nothing wrong with not liking the taste of beer, since it tends to make people, well for lack of a better term, fat.

Feb 24, 2004
Greenville, SC
man whats your address, ill mail you a 6 pack of sierra nevada pale ale....or better yet, summerfest since its the seasonal beer at the moment from said brewery. around here, sierra nevada is the mtn biker beer of choice for sure.

and...berkshire rider....props on the long trail avatar...enjoyed that stuff while in vermont....

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
the Inbred said:
Careful with those. It usually takes a while for the alochol in those to kick in. As you wait you usually end up having a few more, along with some beer, and then you end up going home with a fattie :help:

Summer time=pale ale time Corona is halfway decent as it is halfway between water and beer, which are both pretty good. I do admit it is nice on a hot day, but I'd rather have some PA.

I gotta find me some coopers in the states.

Turning 21 this summer, let the fun begin!

The Ito

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
beer is way over rated. You need gallons to catch a buzz and it makes you fat and slow on a bike. It also gives you spittle mouth on rides.

gimme distilled H2O any day and a small pepsi in a bottle after a long ride.

I still find it hard to believe i made such a fuss in my 18 years of live sound mixing demanding rediculous ales and bottles with lime tucked in.
A total waste of time and $$$$$.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
NoRoadtrippin said:
and...berkshire rider....props on the long trail avatar...enjoyed that stuff while in vermont....
:thumb: Double Bag, Hibernator, and Blackberry Wheat are all top-notch. Their brewery is an easy sidetrip from Killington. It's almost over to Woodstock further East on Rte. 4, right on the Ottaquechee (sp?) river. A 15 minute drive = good fresh beer. :drool:

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
berkshire_rider said:
:thumb: Double Bag, Hibernator, and Blackberry Wheat are all top-notch. Their brewery is an easy sidetrip from Killington. It's almost over to Woodstock further East on Rte. 4, right on the Ottaquechee (sp?) river. A 15 minute drive = good fresh beer. :drool:
I love all their brews pretty much. I am definitely going to go to the brewery this summer. I've driven past it about 10 times and never had the chance to go in.

I do live about 3 minutes from the Otter Creek brewery, though, which is nice.

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
Corona and XX are both crap. :p

In fact, I can't think of a good Mexican beer.

-S.S.-
Is there anything you are not the best at??? You are now the beer saint too. :thumb:

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
JRogers said:
I love all their brews pretty much. I am definitely going to go to the brewery this summer. I've driven past it about 10 times and never had the chance to go in.

I do live about 3 minutes from the Otter Creek brewery, though, which is nice.
Prior to moving back in Dec. I used to go by the place all the time and never stopped. I finally did and wished I had sooner. Fresh beer on tap, cases for sale at a decent price, and pint glasses. :heart:

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
berkshire_rider said:
Prior to moving back in Dec. I used to go by the place all the time and never stopped. I finally did and wished I had sooner. Fresh beer on tap, cases for sale at a decent price, and pint glasses. :heart:
I've been to Otter Creek in Middlebury, Long Trail in Bridgewater, Magic Hat in Burlington and Catamount in White river Jct. (not sure if Catamount is still there though?) One of the many benefits of going to college in VT.!! :thumb: Oh, and what's that brewery up by East Burke? Didn't hit there, but they have a decent IPA as I recall. :think:

Sep 29, 2004
blue said:
Okay, almost all. I make a few rare exceptions. It tastes just...disgusting.

But, for the most part, I despise beer. I would rather take a bottle of the ****tiest hard liqour or wine available (you know, the rough equivalent of gasoline or rubbing alcohol) than a 12 pack of Newcastle.

What's wrong with me?
learn to love it girly man