Quantcast

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
It is so antiquated, and when people apologize to the clerk for taking so long, I think they should apologize to the people behind them in line.

But today was especially annoying.

I'm working from home today, and I had a short time in the early AM to run to the supermarket.

I get my supplies for breakfast and lunch, and there are two decrepit gentleman on line before me. They got their supplies for the day as well: two 40's of Miller High Life and a bottle of Hennessy.

As they are writing a check, I was thinking, "At least it isn't food stamps".

Thankfully, their transaction was quickly voided because they already have one check being held.

I'm just thinking, buying booze at 7am. Not good.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
You should've showed some compassion and bought it for them.
It's not easy being decrepit and sober.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
At this point, people writing checks probably don't have the funds, hence the check...

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Why is is every time some anachronism writes a check in the express lane, they must wait til everything is rung up and the total is displayed before they even take the checkbook out?

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
It is so antiquated, and when people apologize to the clerk for taking so long, I think they should apologize to the people behind them in line.

I'm working from home today, and I had a short time in the early AM to run to the supermarket.

I get my supplies for breakfast and lunch, and there are two decrepit gentleman on line before me. They got their supplies for the day as well: two 40's of Miller High Life and a bottle of Hennessy.

Thankfully, their transaction was quickly voided because they already have one check being held.

You scared your potato salad will go bad while you wait???

Nevermind, you said it was early...you only buy that when they are closing, right???

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?

At least they got high life... because right now, they are living the decrepit low life.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
All possible sympathy was thrown out the window with that statement.
Well, I was up since 6am, working with India. And I'm likely to finish up at 6pm.

I'm sure there are many people who report to work as early as that, but I come at 9.

What if those people had to show up to work at 3am

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
That's really a retarded generalization. Way to prove you're not less retarded than I thought you had become. :D
BTW, these guys were also buying a $50 gift card, an odd choice if you don't have cash or credit to begin with.

I figured it wasn't a convenience issue, but some kind of scam.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
No never.
Food stamps are routinely exchanged for dope so liqueur doesn't seem like that much of a stretch.
Here's how it works:

Cracky McCrackhead collects his food stamps, goes to the grocery store, proceeds to buy expensive stuff - steak, seafood, etc - with the food stamps. Goes outside. Sells said food stamp purchased items to whitey at a discount. Takes cash, heads to crack house.

It may not be Cracky McCrackhead, but Joe 30Rack or Bob BottomShelfVodka. And obviously they wouldn't go to the crack house, but the liquor store.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Here's how it works:

Cracky McCrackhead collects his food stamps, goes to the grocery store, proceeds to buy expensive stuff - steak, seafood, etc - with the food stamps. Goes outside. Sells said food stamp purchased items to whitey at a discount. Takes cash, heads to crack house.

It may not be Cracky McCrackhead, but Joe 30Rack or Bob BottomShelfVodka. And obviously they wouldn't go to the crack house, but the liquor store.
But I am missing the part of the OP that states that these men were on food stamps to begin with. And I am trying to figure out WTF is so bad about buying your booze early in the day. I am also trying to figure out when crack heads became the only people who quallified for ****ing food stamps.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
But I am missing the part of the OP that states that these men were on food stamps to begin with.
It's Sanjuro, who cares.

And I am trying to figure out WTF is so bad about buying your booze early in the day.
How do you know it wasn't just a late night for them?

I am also trying to figure out when crack heads became the only people who quallified for ****ing food stamps.
1993, March I think.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
It's true. I have no idea what these gentlemen's lifestyles were.

Maybe they were doctors getting off the night shift, and wanted to treat themselves to forties and cognac.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
It's true. I have no idea what these gentlemen's lifestyles were.

Maybe they were doctors getting off the night shift, and wanted to treat themselves to forties and cognac.
Maybe you should apply for a job with the TSA.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Here's how it works:

If he/she bought them with an EBT card the transactions are monitored and he/she will have to explain to his/her caseworker why he/she bought those expensive items and then get piss tested to receive further benefits thanks to Tommy George Thompson the ex U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services. This varies depending on the State or County that the offender is recieving benefits in. If they can prove fraud most States make you and your dependents pay back any money you may have received and cancel your benefits. Not a risk most poor folks are willing to take.... Don't eff with your housing assistance fool

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
i write checks just to piss people off, then leave my license in my truck so i have to walk out and walk back in while all the people in line are getting more and more pissed. then while the clerk is processing it i look back at everyone in line and not one of the spineless people in line will have eye contact with me. but they go home and bitch about it to their spouce as they get ready for bingo night

:rofl::weee:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
i write checks just to piss people off, then leave my license in my truck so i have to walk out and walk back in while all the people in line are getting more and more pissed. then while the clerk is processing it i look back at everyone in line and not one of the spineless people in line will have eye contact with me. but they go home and bitch about it to their spouce as they get ready for bingo night

:rofl::weee:
You never met me.

I would put your groceries back in the cart. Then push it into your truck.