Quantcast

I hate computers.

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
Ok, well recently my computer has started acting up. Every day, several virus alerts began to come up about a Trojan.Stoyle file. Anywho, Norton's was picking them up and deleting them every time. Every time I ran a scan, however, there were three At-risk files that came up and Norton wasn't ever able to delete the file for some reason. I tried doing it manually, but still no dice.

As of Yesterday, I have about 10 seconds once I open windows to open any programs on the desktop that I will use (that's why I'm able to type this now). After those 10 seconds, the desktop and taskbar lock up, so I can't access anything. No start menu, nothing. If I drag a window around, it does the solitaire cascade effect where tons of images of the window stack up on top of one another. If I close a window, the image of the window is still left on the screen. Those are the main symptoms.

I've tried going into safe mode to try to delete those three files (unfortunately, I only started trying this after the locking-up started happening) and it has been locking up in safe mode as well. I can get open a window (my computer), but as soon as I click on a button, the window locks up too.

I am at a complete and utter loss as to what I should do... If anyone has any ideas, PLEASE let me know... I need to try everything before I decide to restore windows.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
have you tried booting into safe mode and then running norton to see if it can delete or quarantine the 3 virii it's finding. i think you hold down F8 while the computer is starting up and then choose safe mode.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I would boot to Knoppix, remove the files, save off what's important to a thumb drive, then install Linux instead.

But at the very least, get a Knoppix live cd and use that to clean your system of the offending files. But Windows is the largest virus available in the world today :D

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
Well, I ran the scan in safe mode, but strangely, it didn't find any threats... Anyone care to guess as to what this means?

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
honestly the fastest way to fix this and be sure you fixed this is probably be going to reinstall. you have the latest virus signatures from norton? i'm not sure I would go with the knoppix method because you might end up deleting an important system file and then not being able to boot into windows at all.

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
You computer is f**ked. Reformat the drive and reinstall Windows.

The Linux idea is good too.
"You" keyboard appears to be broken, Hippy. :think:

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
They know better than anyone that catching a virus is not a good thing. some of them can be very hard to get rid of.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
first off norton sucks balls. get rid of that.
sometimes you can boot up in safe mode and find the files and just delete them.
Kaspersky is the best that i've found for all the businesses that i've help setup.

try using the free online one if you can. http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

BUCKET

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
Rocktown, VA
DHS said:
first off norton sucks balls. get rid of that.
sometimes you can boot up in safe mode and find the files and just delete them.
Kaspersky is the best that i've found for all the businesses that i've help setup.

try using the free online one if you can. http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
Yes - Kaspersky is an excellent choice, so is Panda AV for home use. I certainly have had some issuse with the Norton home AV products, but I do like the Corp 9.0 edition. It's hard to find Kaspersky products in retail stores so Norton home is not a bad choice, especially over McAafee products. And - I doubt he is going to able to get online by sound of his infection.

Bldr_DH -
You may also want to disconnect your broadband connection if you have one before booting. This helps to keep what ever malware you have from connecting to the internet and sending/receiving tons of packets that will eventually slow your PC to a crawl.