Quantcast

i hate it when this happens

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
I did a lot of riding yesterday, but it started off kind of bad. I got together with my best mountain biking buddy and was totally looking forward to riding some trails with him. I have a crush on him, so whenever we ride I try my hardest to keep up and not totally suck. You kinda know how that goes, right?

So anyway we get to the trailhead, and I visit the portapotty, and lucky me, my period has just started.

Ugh! So I spent the next hour and a half trying to climb hills despite cramps and other unplesantness. If I had been with another girl I would have explained why I was not really into riding at the moment, but no way was I going to have THAT discussion with him. :) So I just kept up the best I could, and I'm glad I rode, but still...ugh!

Sometimes it's kind of a pain to be a woman.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
sht

I had a crush on the guy I was riding with, told him everything, and we're together now

I would have just said, "hey.. listen man.... I'm not exactly feeling well, so I'm not gonna be pounding those hills."

If you were dehydrated, you would tell him, yes?
If you had other problems, you would tell him...

What makes this so different?

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
Just felt shy about it, I guess. :) I try to be matter of fact about things, but this time...I dunno. You're right though, I would tell him if things weren't right, otherwise.

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
I think I might have felt the exact same way -- I mean I don't know if I could have told him I just started my period. It's almost like too much information. But I wouldn't have felt bad in telling him I "just wasn't feeling well" or something of the sort. But I guess there is a lot to be said for just speaking up and making a joke of it like sunnerbeanmtb suggests. It would reveal alot about the dude if he didn't mind making light of the situation.

But I tend to suck things up and internalize everything anyways, so I may have just suffered through the climbs :nonono: .(I hate when I do that!)

I hope the ride and the time spent hanging out with the guy still managed to have some redeeming aspects.

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
mohshee said:
I hope the ride and the time spent hanging out with the guy still managed to have some redeeming aspects.
I could ride with him if my arm was broken and I had walking pneumonia, and still have the best ride ever. It's the brown eyes, very sexy.

Sorry. I now return y'all to the mountain biking forum. :)

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
MudGrrl said:
sht

I had a crush on the guy I was riding with, told him everything, and we're together now

I would have just said, "hey.. listen man.... I'm not exactly feeling well, so I'm not gonna be pounding those hills."

If you were dehydrated, you would tell him, yes?
If you had other problems, you would tell him...

What makes this so different?
A-FVCKING-MEN

Periods happen and they suck.......really f'in bad. I would have said something, but I am also a member of the camp that feels that women should be able to take off work one week a month (or at least 4 days) to deal with these issues. My periods are hell and I have finally gotten over feeling embarrassed/bad/apologetic about it.

However, good luck with the crush. Good guys are hard to come by, so if it takes a little faking or 'nutting up" and dealing with female BS for a while to get a good thing started, more power to ya.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
you should have told him crush or not that yo uwerent feeling very well. any half decent guy would have understood and given you the option to ride or ya'll could go catch a movie or something instead. the subject of it being taboo is silly i think. i mean it happens every month to every woman.its not gross or uncomfortable to talk about its natural and part of a woman being a woman.

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
I gotta say that I take the pill all the time and it's great - no friggin' periods!

Before that, 800 mgs of ibruprofen was my best friend. And the fact of the matter is that, exercise is good for you when you've got your period, so just take enough drugs...

But it is hard when it happens unexpectedly. I think the best thing is to kinda treat the guy like a girlfriend and tell him all the dirty secrets. What the heck, do you really think it's gonna be all romantic when you're out on a bike ride getting stinky, sweaty, bloody....?

I have to laugh about the other night when we were on an XC ride with a mixed group. We got to the top of this big hill and this one woman exclaimed how stinky she was with bug juice and sweat. Then one of the guys just burst out laughing and joked about asking her out as she was his kind of woman and we all laughed, because it's so true. You're just a mess when you're mountain biking anyways - what's alittle more?

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
redFoxx said:
I gotta say that I take the pill all the time and it's great - no friggin' periods!
I'm on the shot... I don't have to remember anything but an appointment every 3 months and to take my daily calcium... but forgetting calcium won't mean that I'll end up pregnant.

redFoxx said:
But it is hard when it happens unexpectedly. I think the best thing is to kinda treat the guy like a girlfriend and tell him all the dirty secrets. What the heck, do you really think it's gonna be all romantic when you're out on a bike ride getting stinky, sweaty, bloody....?

I dunno, I was gettin' all sweaty bruised and frustrated with some things, and he promised me a kiss if I did what he asked me to do.... go down a drop.... I got a kiss:dancing: :heart:

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
Now that's the kind of motivaton I need. I'd manual across two parking lots if I could get a kiss. Not likely though. He likes another girl. :( So the only remedy for that is to ride more, and totally kick ass on the bike.

interesting about the calcium, when I went vegan and gave up milk, my cramps became ten times worse. I have to remember to take calcium during the month, it really helps.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
biggins said:
you should have told him crush or not that yo uwerent feeling very well. any half decent guy would have understood and given you the option to ride or ya'll could go catch a movie or something instead. the subject of it being taboo is silly i think. i mean it happens every month to every woman.its not gross or uncomfortable to talk about its natural and part of a woman being a woman.
:thumb:
I hate that being a woman is taboo...I am so lucky that my man doesn't think it is and I can tell him anything. I am lucky however, I don't have the burden of cramps (or atleast I never had them pre-baby...we'll see when my little friend comes back for it's first visit which isn't likely to happen while I am nursing--yeah no periods for a year).

weimie

Monkey
May 11, 2006
Boulder, CO
zoey said:
He likes another girl. :( So the only remedy for that is to ride more, and totally kick ass on the bike.
Hang in there...that's how I got my guy:) I started hanging around him and his friends and he started coming out for group rides and parties and stuff. The girl he liked at the time wasn't a very good rider and he felt "obligated" to ride with her and at her pace and she turned out to be pretty whiny on her bike...well of course he got sick of that and started hanging around the girl that could hang with the boys on rides....me :)

Your guy will see the light eventually :love: And if not...bet you find another cute boy to ride with.

weimie

Monkey
May 11, 2006
Boulder, CO
MudGrrl said:
I'm on the shot....
I loved being on the shot but went off it because all my doctor's kept saying I'd been on it too long. Now I just do the 3 months on pills, 1 week off them. I only get my period once every 3 months....it's great because when I do get it, it only lasts about 3 days.

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
zoey said:
I did a lot of riding yesterday, but it started off kind of bad. I got together with my best mountain biking buddy and was totally looking forward to riding some trails with him. I have a crush on him, so whenever we ride I try my hardest to keep up and not totally suck. You kinda know how that goes, right?
I'm confused...I thought you were married...not that I care or it's really my business...:)

and periods suck, especially when going on bike rides with males other than your SO or girlfriends...:bomb:

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
It's kind of complicated and personal. I'm not going to answer that, not because I mind you asking, but it would be waay to long and involved of a story and have nothing to do with mountain biking! :)