Quantcast

I hate managing - job rant

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Short story - I wanted more money, so I started gunning for a promotion several years ago, and eventual got it. For the past few years, I've seen my job satisfaction dwindle because I miss the production side of things. Who else has experienced this?

I find the satisfaction of reviewing work and managing it doesn't give me the same pride I got from doing my own work. Much of it is because others I now supervise don't see our product the same way, and getting them to see the right way is hard. While that is training that can be done, I feel they don't pay attention to the same details I do. Of course, I felt my work product was good, and it must've been to get promoted, but I'm sure I made similar production errors. I understand that I should learn my new role and gain satisfaction from grooming a well managed machine, but that just doesn't melt my butter.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
self sabotage might be even more gratifying/liberating than hanging from hooks....

next meeting....get up in the middle of it and take a dump in the trash can.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
ha,

i basically did the same thing last year, but they just promoted me to managing 9 other engineers with no extra pay. Oh did i mention i was still responsible for the shit i did pre-promotion when i was working 10h days all ready? Ultimately i sucked royal dick at being a manager trying to juggle engineering and mgmt.

So i quit and joined the innovation group at another company.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
ha,

i basically did the same thing last year, but they just promoted me to managing 9 other engineers with no extra pay. Oh did i mention i was still responsible for the shit i did pre-promotion when i was working 10h days all ready? Ultimately i sucked royal dick at being a manager trying to juggle engineering and mgmt.

So i quit and joined the innovation group at another company.
Companies... they are so funny...

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
It ain't for everyone. I've always known I don't want to manage. I dont want the added stress or responsibility.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
I hate managing and being held accountable for other people's actions, but the free truck and gas I'm provided with to drive as far as I want every weekend to go DH'ing and snowboarding helps ease the pain

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
You can accomplish far more by orchestrating other people's efforts than doing eventing yourself. That said, you need a good team to do that without too much frustration. Babysitting of losers sucks, working with talented people can be extremely satisfying.

My sister went the route of chasing management and high salary. I chased working on tasks that delivered value. Her salary over time exceeded mine by 10x if not 100x. We're now both retired and have the same net worth. She's bombed with health issues, I'm not. Random chance, I'm sure.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Similar situation...didn't absorb people, but responsibilities of others as they left/retired; also moved onto senior leadership team. I didn't pick my line of work for the $, and when I get to focus on the parts I like, it's great. The added responsibilities did come with a significant raise, which offsets the added bs I have to deal with to some extent. My strategy over next few years is to raise $ to hire more curatorial staff so I can get back to doing the things I like (organizing exhibitions, research, writing) more frequently.

I am also cogniscent that I have a LOT of flexibility with my schedule as long as I get done what needs to get done. That counts for a lot. And that I took a job at the place I did (instead of gunning for a "better" museum) because I wanted to live here. Life and family counts for more than work. Always.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Short story - I wanted more money, so I started gunning for a promotion several years ago, and eventual got it. For the past few years, I've seen my job satisfaction dwindle because I miss the production side of things. Who else has experienced this?
Back in 08 I decided, for a variety of reasons, that I needed to step away from a more "managerial position" with the airline. I took a not insignificant pay cut, and arguably, got shittier days off, but I believed then and still believe now, that I was making the right choice. No more baby sitting adult man-children, no more 2am calls about what we broke, who we hurt, no more upper management breathing down my neck over stupid shit. I don't regret it for a moment. My quality of life has improved significantly. Money only gets you so far. Truth be told, the only thing I really regret about that choice was not taking the opportunity to get completely out of aviation, because:

Tell the people you work with that you want to return to your former role. Do what you find satisfying.
FYI, in my case, it became VERY clear to me that this was career suicide, should you ever find yourself in a position in the future where you want to move back up. Which as it turns out:

Management... fuck no.

:fie:
Has been something of a blessing in disguise.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
I act as a mentor for some other junior faculty, fellows, and residents, but I don't have to manage anyone, per se. I'm glad of this. It's enough of a pain to be responsible for myself.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My sister went the route of chasing management and high salary. I chased working on tasks that delivered value. Her salary over time exceeded mine by 10x if not 100x. We're now both retired and have the same net worth. She's bombed with health issues, I'm not. Random chance, I'm sure.
i like money, but i generally dislike people.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I am perfectly fine being ultimately responsible for time-sensitive multi-million dollar production. Sleep like a baby.

Listening to some other useless jerkoff manager read bullshit numbers in a useless meeting makes me want to kill them and/or myself.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
As an engineer with an actual personality and communication skills I find myself being put in leadership roles no matter my career goals are. I have decided to stop fighting it. Nothing is worse than being responsible for someone else's results with no official control of said individual.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
As an engineer with an actual personality and communication skills I find myself being put in leadership roles no matter my career goals are. I have decided to stop fighting it. Nothing is worse than being responsible for someone else's results with no official control of said individual.
repeat after me "that's not my deliverable"

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Being unmanageable and therefore unemployable I had no choice but to work for myself. The biz has grown larger than I planned and is about to again as it's hard to exist in the middle ground.

Responsibility of feeding 36 mouths can be overbearing at times and the financial obligations are scary if you think about them too much but whatever.

I've pushed all the people management onto my two foreman who've worked with me for 12 yrs. That keeps me at arms length from the mouth breathers and keeps the finger off the FTS button most days.

When things get crazy I hold a board meeting in the bongshed and hit the ocean or trails.