Quantcast

I hate managing - job rant

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It is similar situation in my career. I have been doing my job close to 20 years now. Most folks move up into a manager role, but I am happy in a lead role. Where I can not only help other folks, but lead by example. I am nearing a salary cap, though and the next big bump would be into management. But I just don't feel it yet.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I am a middle of the totem pole manager. Well, maybe top third of the totem pole manager. I'm in the "leadership group" so I guess I'm a little higher up than middle. Anyway, I actual enjoy the work and my input/ideas/opinions/recommendations carry some weight around here, much to my amazement. I could do without the managing a staff part of the job. I only manage six people, but what a PITA it can be.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
HOLY BALLS

Someone else just created an ass load of busy work over a minor complaint. Manager above me now has me reviewing a nearly inconsequential issue on a massive number of files.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
HOLY BALLS

Someone else just created an ass load of busy work over a minor complaint. Manager above me now has me reviewing a nearly inconsequential issue on a massive number of files.
I may have thwarted this. Pulled a pretty basic bit of industry standard paperwork that supports my not-gonna-change-things position. Emailed it. Hanging on the rim with one hand, saluting with the other.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Jesus. Logic failed to persuade. My Fvk Tank is pointing at Elvis. I'm gonna hit the dusty trail and hope this place jumps up its own ass tomorrow while I'm taking the day off to get my physical/dental day of doctors from both ends managed.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
You should quit that job and move to New Jersey so you can join my Amy Whinehouse cover band. The Music scene in Passaic is off the hook.

We have a gig in Paramus in 2 weeks.

Last edited:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Nothing is worse than being responsible for someone else's results with no official control of said individual.
I lived that story for 2 years... most miserable (yet more educational) years of my professional life.

After that, I decided the best job is in product management.
bad product? blame the factory... Bad sales? blame the salespeople. bad choice of product? blame changing trends, bad profits? blame the economy/exchange rate/competition...
only being a C level (absolute choice of scapegoat) beats it.
:D

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I'm the top of my modest totem pole... 100% responsible for people, place, product and profit, I only face my boss for quarterly performance reviews. I rely heavily on people who could easily do my job if they wanted to. That said, I have risen to the level of my competence and most likely will retire out of the current position.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
I was the mgr. at my current job and stepped down last year a few weeks after i returned from my hip surgery. wasn't happy with the job. small company with lots of drama and finger pointing. I was the warehouse mgr. which also included shipping/rec'v. so I got tired of sales pointing fingers at us at the first sign of trouble. got tired of dealing with the owner not listening to my simple suggestions to help smooth things operations wise. so in the end i wanted out and he thought it was ok too since he felt i didn't have the big picture in mind. so hearing that was the final nail in the coffin. it all works for me. kept my same rate of pay and now have no responsibilities. the guy he promoted is an idiot and has pissed everyone off including me. i just sit back and laugh and go home with no stress.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
After that, I decided the best job is in product management.
bad product? blame the factory... Bad sales? blame the salespeople. bad choice of product? blame changing trends, bad profits? blame the economy/exchange rate/competition...
only being a C level (absolute choice of scapegoat) beats it.
:D
Do you actually do product management? This sounds quite different from my own experience.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I have no desire to ever manage people, at least not in the foreseeable future. Over the past 2.5 years at my current job, I found what I really enjoy doing and what I seem to be really good at - project management for large capital equipment projects. When hired, I was expected to deal primarily with existing process/equipment, and maybe manage the occasional capital project or two in the $50-200k range per year. In the past two years, I've managed 8-10 capital projects a year to the tune of over $1,000,000.....amounts that our capital group (who do only that) typically see. They wanted me to manage a multi-million dollar on-site wastewater treatment plant upgrade this year, but I simply don't have the bandwidth. That's a lot of faith in someone that started doing this 2 years ago.

I foresee a step into the project management world in the next couple years.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
It's unfortunate that the work I enjoy doing isn't the same as the work I do. Working on changing that, albeit at a slow but steady pace.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Getting your own garage based business started?
Trying. I might move into an actual shop with a friend. I want to start making a push to a legit run. Doing this wallet project has really illuminated what I love doing. I already kind of knew it in the back of my head, but working on this project has shown me the light. I need to do at least small things every day to make progress. I've had more 'satisfaction' from this in the last few months than pretty much an entire career.

If this wallet project does well, it will be a huge a motivator to make the shop happen and help with funding to do so. I guess in the spirit of Kickstarter, I actually want to use it to Kickstart something.

Last edited: